Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Barret Jones? He does everything well!

The more I read on this kid Barret Jones from Alabama the more I like him. He is rock solid and has been the staple of that Alabama offenive line He's basically played all positions up front now and has essentially excelled at all of them. He just swithed to center this year and they say hes looked natural there. Thats not an easy spot to move to up front and just do well right away. He did it. He run blocks very well and is very stout in pass blocking. This guy is basically a good guard, good tackle and now possibly a good center all in one. I was gonna say great in all these but I didn't want to go that far although you could make a strong argument for it. This kid has a 4.0 GPA right now so you know he's smart. He knows whats going on up front at all times. I like Warmack alot dont get me wrong but I think this kid overall is better and more well rounded. He can do well anywhere up front basically.

Here is a statement from walter football.com

8/24/12: "Jones had a tremendous season at left tackle last year and it has really elevated his draft stock. In his biggest test of 2011, Tbe junior faced his biggest test of facing LSU in the regular season. He played very well before sustaining an ankle injury in the second half. Early in the evening, Jones was doing a phenomenal job of run blocking for Trent Richardson, and Alabama had a lot of success running behind Jones. He also wasn't getting - or needing - any help with LSU's speed-rushers on the edge, and Jones was rock solid not allowing a sack or pressure. He had another good game in the National Championship."

"After his showing in the first game of the season, one would think that Jones has been playing center for years. The senior had an excellent debut at center. Jones was superb in the ground game opening up holes and hitting combo blocks. He was rock solid in pass protection." by walter footbal.com

This Is a guy I want on my offensive line I mean from what Ive read I cant tell what he doesn't do well. And I have read more than just this too. Not saying he is perfect becuase there is always little things to work on but overall not really anything bad to say about him.

And here is hsi list of accomplishments throughout his career so far. Hes quite decorated as an offensive linemen.

• Veteran leader of the Tide's Offensive Line

• Outland Trophy Winner

• Captued the ARA Sportsmanship Award and the Wuerffel Trophy

• Unanimous First-Team All-American (AFCA, AP, Walter Camp, FWAA, Sporting News, ESPN.com, SI.com, Rivals.com and CBSsports.com)

• First-Team All-SEC (AP & Coaches)

• Awarded Jacobs Blocking Trophy (top offensive lineman in the SEC)

• Semifinalist for the Lombardi Award

• Consensus midseason All-American

• Clears a path for Heisman Trophy finalist Trent Richardson, who leads the SEC with 1,583 yards and 23 total touchdowns

• Has graded out first or second on the Alabama offensive line in nine of 10 games

• Has faced seven of the nation's top-50 defenses

• Has started 10 games at left tackle

• Has played four positions along the offensive line this season, including center

• Only position he hasn't played is right guard, where he started 25 games during the last two years

• Blocked for 25 100-yard rushing games during his career, including nine this season

• Has graded out at 90 percent or better in four games

• Has only nine missed assignments in 587 snaps (98.5 percent on assignments)

• Has been 100 percent on assignments in four games this season

• Allowed just three sacks all season

• Started 35 career games at right guard (25) and left tackle (10 in 2011)

• SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week (Arkansas)

• Two-time UA Offensive Player of the Week

Chance Warmack in the 1st and Barrett Jones in the second? I would call that a successful draft

I would go Jones first then if we get a second and Warmack slides take him. If it were to come between both these guys in the first Id take Jones. He just has more value overall and could help at at more than one spot and do well at it. Nothing against Warmack but I dont thinkk he offers that same ability. I mean look at it has his 98.5 percent of his blocks which if you wanted to round would be about 99 percent. And thats including the multiple positions he has played. I see more Value and a better all around player in Jones. But this is only my opinion.

I would go Jones first then if we get a second and Warmack slides take him. If it were to come between both these guys in the first Id take Jones. He just has more value overall and could help at at more than one spot and do well at it. Nothing against Warmack but I dont thinkk he offers that same ability. I mean look at it has his 98.5 percent of his blocks which if you wanted to round would be about 99 percent. And thats including the multiple positions he has played. I see more Value and a better all around player in Jones. But this is only my opinion.

I love Jones, but I love Warmack more. I also don't think Warmack will be available in the 2nd, but Jones will. Jones has his smarts and versatility and Warmack has his power and strength. They would give us a heck of a good interior line.

I love Jones, but I love Warmack more. I also don't think Warmack will be available in the 2nd, but Jones will. Jones has his smarts and versatility and Warmack has his power and strength. They would give us a heck of a good interior line.

This only works if Jones is thought to be an NFL tackle. But if he's viewed as an interior lineman, then we need to get a tackle in Free Agency.

Which is why for all the eyes focused on the draft (and those include my eyes too) Free Agency may give us some hints at what we **may** do in the draft.

Mid-January will tell us a lot... First, which underclassman are coming out early, and there are lots of underclass OL that may come. The more the better for the Colts. Second, at some point in the late winter-early spring, NFL teams will start to let some players go in surprise moves, like when the Texans let go of Eric Winston. I don't recall when that was (what month?) but that's another time frame to watch because names that few of us are expecting will suddenly appear. And Grigson may pounce on a few....

Once we've signed some Free Agents, we may get a better picture of our needs for the draft in late April.

Step by step. Piece by piece. Brick by brick. This is how we build the monster....

I dont know about Jones sliding to the second. A number of the mock draft Ive looked at have him going before Warmack. So my bet is he will probably be taken earlier not a whole lot earlier though. Thats why I say take Jones first becuse there is proabably less of chance of him being there in the second due to his versatility and just being overall very solid. And Jones does have phyicality as well, beleieve me maybe not to the extent of Warmack but He's physical and strong.

I dont know about Jones sliding to the second. A number of the mock draft Ive looked at have him going before Warmack. So my bet is he will probably be taken earlier not a whole lot earlier though. Thats why I say take Jones first becuse there is proabably less of chance of him being there in the second due to his versatility and just being overall very solid. And Jones does have phyicality as well, beleieve me maybe not to the extent of Warmack but He's physical and strong.

We can't really argue about draft position yet. I could say Geno Smith won't be drafted, and you could only argue that is is unlikely, because for all we know he could have 0 TDs and 56 INTs to finish the year. We'll be able to know who goes where in '13.

We can't really argue about draft position yet. I could say Geno Smith won't be drafted, and you could only argue that is is unlikely, because for all we know he could have 0 TDs and 56 INTs to finish the year. We'll be able to know who goes where in '13.

I agree with you, I was just saying what Ive seen and read so far. I know though its all gonna change a bunch more before we get to draft day. This was just more from a right now type perspective. But I totally understand and agree with what you are saying.

Jones may indeed do everything 'well'... but my question would be.... does he do anything 'great'?

And that's what I'd like to get in my 1st round pick. (Doesn't mean I **will** get it, but I'd like it!)

I'd also like to know how NFL evaluators view him? I think the one spot we can rule out for him is Left Tackle. Fine, we have a good one. But, is he a Right Tackle? Is he a guard? Is he a center? That's what I want to know...

As for hoping we get him in the 2nd round, the early projections are he's a low 1st -- high 2nd round pick. Perhaps he falls further....?

Too soon to know..... this is a player we won't have a good feel for until after the Combine and his Pro Day.

I know, I know, I say that about LOTS of players (it's true) but Jones is high among them.

Jones may indeed do everything 'well'... but my question would be.... does he do anything 'great'?

And that's what I'd like to get in my 1st round pick. (Doesn't mean I **will** get it, but I'd like it!)

I'd also like to know how NFL evaluators view him? I think the one spot we can rule out for him is Left Tackle. Fine, we have a good one. But, is he a Right Tackle? Is he a guard? Is he a center? That's what I want to know...

As for hoping we get him in the 2nd round, the early projections are he's a low 1st -- high 2nd round pick. Perhaps he falls further....?

Too soon to know..... this is a player we won't have a good feel for until after the Combine and his Pro Day.

I know, I know, I say that about LOTS of players (it's true) but Jones is high among them.

I agree with you that we cant fully evaluate untill after this season really. Alot can still happen and will happen with these players. As for is he great, well he was great at LT for from wht Ive read, he was handling LSU's speed rushers and talent by himself no help and did outstanding and he opened up holes for the run game. At center he's so far he's done quite well hitting combo blocks and opening holes. And from what Ive read about him at guard he hasnt really dropped off there either. There could be a trong argument as I saifd that he's been great at all three really but he hasnt played alot at center yet so thats why I didnt go as far as saying great. So far though he has not had any problems with the any of the positions really. But well see how the rest of this season goes before we can make a final conclusion on anything.