Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What exactly is DAILY Fantasy Football?

ReMeDy

I'm still a bit clueless on fantasy football. I'm purchasing a fantasy football book for my father's birthday, and I want to make sure I get the right one.

What my father participates in are the events where every week his players are graded by their on-field performance in the form of points scored by TD's, yds, etc. and he has a starting roster with players he can plug in/out, but does that qualify as DAILY Fantasy Football, or something else? Come to think of it, football is only played weekly, so what does daily have to do with it?

There seem to be so many variations of Fantasy Football, it makes my head spin.

It sounds like your father is playing daily fantasy football. Every week you can set a different roster depending on match-ups. Fanduel and Draftkings are both daily fantasy. There are different types of leagues, large and small, also there is a type where two players go head to head., winner take all. Some cost to enter (all prices), and some are free. The free ones don't pay money, it's just for points. The amount of money you get depends on how much you paid to enter. Sometimes the top 50% win money, other leagues it's the top 12 or 10 people.   With daily, you don't have a set roster, as each week the roster changes.  That helps in case a player is injured or suspended.

I don't know why it's called "daily" as it goes by week, not day.  it's the type of fantasy football I play; I never started a league where one drafts players for the season.

• 3 months later...

In a normal fantasy football you select your team in a draft and those are the players you are stuck with unless you trade or pick someone up for waivers.

Daily is that every week you can pick a new team for that week.  You could have tom Brady one week and andrew luck the next,  and so on. Every week you'll can have a completely different team.

This is different than normal weekly/seasonal Fantasy football as the team you draft will make up the majority of your team for the season.

On 3/11/2017 at 9:02 PM, teganslaw said:

It sounds like your father is playing daily fantasy football. Every week you can set a different roster depending on match-ups. Fanduel and Draftkings are both daily fantasy. There are different types of leagues, large and small, also there is a type where two players go head to head., winner take all. Some cost to enter (all prices), and some are free. The free ones don't pay money, it's just for points. The amount of money you get depends on how much you paid to enter. Sometimes the top 50% win money, other leagues it's the top 12 or 10 people.   With daily, you don't have a set roster, as each week the roster changes.  That helps in case a player is injured or suspended.

I don't know why it's called "daily" as it goes by week, not day.  it's the type of fantasy football I play; I never started a league where one drafts players for the season.

Because you can pick your team that day. 

If there are games on Thursday,  you can pick between those teams and play.  Same with Saturday,  Sunday,  and Monday. 

You could play 4 times a week.