Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Archer's Final 2015 Colt Mock

I think Grigson may end up with Landon Collins in the 1st, as many mocks now have him falling to #29 (all four cbs mocks and both Walterfootball mocks, for example).  I'm warming to the idea, but probably just 'cause Grigson said, "(He) can do it all."  I know enough not to listen too closely to what GMs say leading up to the draft, so I'm going to pass him up (if he is indeed available at #29) and do this:

1stByron Jones, CB, Connecticut.  Season ended with shoulder surgery after seven games, and his 2014 game tape wasn’t as good as 2013 because of the injury.  However, he jumped his way back into contention, with a world record standing long jump (seriously) and a 44.5” vertical.  Ran a 4.44 forty at his Pro Day.  When healthy, he’s an instinctive, physical press corner, which we could use opposite Vontae.  Some talk of him playing safety, particularly if he struggles at CB (ala Devin McCourty). 

2ndDonovan Smith, OT, Penn St.  He played too heavy in 2014, and I’m banking that his occasional problems in pass pro are related to that.  If I’m right, the Colts get a mauler in the run game with good RT quickness (and some technique issues to work out).  He was already down to 328 at his Pro Day (from a playing of weight probably in the 340s), and he ran 5.00 forties, posted a 32” vertical, and ran a pretty good 4.79 short shuttle.

3rdAdrian Amos, S, Penn St.  Doesn’t he just seem like a great fit for what we like at safety?  Comes in with a coverage resume (played a lot of CB in the past), but he’s 6’ ½”, 218 and put up 21 bench reps.  He ran his poorest forty at the combine, but hit 4.38 at his Pro Day.  Add a 4.03 short shuttle and 35 ½” vertical and he has a pretty good basket of physical skills.  Essentially, he’s a well-rounded safety who’s good at all phases of the game.

4thTyeler Davison, DL, Fresno St.  He has all the athletic traits we want in our DL at 6’2”, 316 pounds.  Strong (32 bench reps), quick (4.46 short shuttle), and athletic (33” vertical).  He was productive at Fresno, but he definitely needs some further development.  He is athletically ideal for our 3-4 DE/DT role and will develop behind Langford and Jones (and Kerr and Hughes) for a year (as we seem to like to do with our DL).

5thBryce Callahan, CB, Rice.  I’m still in love with this guy.  Like an aggressive yorkie, he just doesn’t seem to know he’s small (5’9”, 183 pounds).  He has good hips for man coverage and a knack for sticking to receivers and playing the ball.  Scouting reports feel obligated to question his tackling/physicality/strength because of his size, but he didn’t have major issues in these areas.  He plays with a chip on his shoulder, and makes up for his lack of size with effort against the run.  Ran in the low 4.3s, put up 15 bench reps, and posted a 43.5” vertical at his Pro Day.

6thJohn Crockett, RB, North Dakota St.  6’, 217 pounds.  Quick feet and had a great E-W Shrine in pass pro and receiving.  Not the best pure runner out there, but he’s not a fumbler and does everything else well.  Vocal and energetic type that will be popular on the practice field and in the locker room.  Ran a disappointing 4.62 at the combine, but had a relatively good 1.54 10-yard split and posted a surprising 40” vertical. 

6thJunior Sylvestre, LB, Toledo.  Sylvestre is a good football player without a position, as he played his senior year as a 222 pound OLB.  He is known as a good coverage LB, and he hit 233 pounds at his Pro Day.  He may have maxed out his frame, but he still ran a 4.53 at the higher weight and put up 26 bench reps.  This is the type of guy I’d like to bet on, possibly as an ILB...maybe as a hybrid S/LB who specializes in covering TEs. 

7thDarius Allen, OLB, Colorado St. Pueblo.  Okay, I hadn’t heard of this guy until he visited, but his resume sounds too much like Robert Mathis’ college resume to pass him up.  The team’s site says he had 15.5 sacks in each of the last two seasons.  6’2”, 241, and his athletic numbers seem favorable to other possible 7th round OLBs (though not astounding).  In the 7th, you just try to add anyone who could figure into the future, so this is a low risk/high reward player to add.  Should do well on special teams.

7th –  DeAndrew White, WR, Alabama.  Thought about a QB, but with the next-to-the-last player in the draft, you have to start thinking about which players you can land as CFAs (if you pass them up at the end of the 7th).  Seems like it would be pretty easy to talk a CFA QB to sign with the Colts, since they have a 40 year old back-up, only two QBs on the roster, and a good reputation of letting CFAs compete for roster spots.  WRs?  Might be hard to get them to sign with the Colts, since there’s already a strong group on the team.  White has very good physical talent (4.44 forty, 4.18 short shuttle, and 34.5” vertical at 5’11”, 193).  He may be a victim of limited opportunities for WRs to shine at Alabama (and most of those opportunities going to Amari Cooper).

I think Grigson may end up with Landon Collins in the 1st, as many mocks now have him falling to #29 (all four cbs mocks and both Walterfootball mocks, for example).  I'm warming to the idea, but probably just 'cause Grigson said, "(He) can do it all."  I know enough not to listen too closely to what GMs say leading up to the draft, so I'm going to pass him up (if he is indeed available at #29) and do this:

1stByron Jones, CB, Connecticut.  Season ended with shoulder surgery after seven games, and his 2014 game tape wasn’t as good as 2013 because of the injury.  However, he jumped his way back into contention, with a world record standing long jump (seriously) and a 44.5” vertical.  Ran a 4.44 forty at his Pro Day.  When healthy, he’s an instinctive, physical press corner, which we could use opposite Vontae.  Some talk of him playing safety, particularly if he struggles at CB (ala Devin McCourty). 

2ndDonovan Smith, OT, Penn St.  He played too heavy in 2014, and I’m banking that his occasional problems in pass pro are related to that.  If I’m right, the Colts get a mauler in the run game with good RT quickness (and some technique issues to work out).  He was already down to 328 at his Pro Day (from a playing of weight probably in the 340s), and he ran 5.00 forties, posted a 32” vertical, and ran a pretty good 4.79 short shuttle.

3rdAdrian Amos, S, Penn St.  Doesn’t he just seem like a great fit for what we like at safety?  Comes in with a coverage resume (played a lot of CB in the past), but he’s 6’ ½”, 218 and put up 21 bench reps.  He ran his poorest forty at the combine, but hit 4.38 at his Pro Day.  Add a 4.03 short shuttle and 35 ½” vertical and he has a pretty good basket of physical skills.  Essentially, he’s a well-rounded safety who’s good at all phases of the game.

4thTyeler Davison, DL, Fresno St.  He has all the athletic traits we want in our DL at 6’2”, 316 pounds.  Strong (32 bench reps), quick (4.46 short shuttle), and athletic (33” vertical).  He was productive at Fresno, but he definitely needs some further development.  He is athletically ideal for our 3-4 DE/DT role and will develop behind Langford and Jones (and Kerr and Hughes) for a year (as we seem to like to do with our DL).

5thBryce Callahan, CB, Rice.  I’m still in love with this guy.  Like an aggressive yorkie, he just doesn’t seem to know he’s small (5’9”, 183 pounds).  He has good hips for man coverage and a knack for sticking to receivers and playing the ball.  Scouting reports feel obligated to question his tackling/physicality/strength because of his size, but he didn’t have major issues in these areas.  He plays with a chip on his shoulder, and makes up for his lack of size with effort against the run.  Ran in the low 4.3s, put up 15 bench reps, and posted a 43.5” vertical at his Pro Day.

6thJohn Crockett, RB, North Dakota St.  6’, 217 pounds.  Quick feet and had a great E-W Shrine in pass pro and receiving.  Not the best pure runner out there, but he’s not a fumbler and does everything else well.  Vocal and energetic type that will be popular on the practice field and in the locker room.  Ran a disappointing 4.62 at the combine, but had a relatively good 1.54 10-yard split and posted a surprising 40” vertical. 

6thJunior Sylvestre, LB, Toledo.  Sylvestre is a good football player without a position, as he played his senior year as a 222 pound OLB.  He is known as a good coverage LB, and he hit 233 pounds at his Pro Day.  He may have maxed out his frame, but he still ran a 4.53 at the higher weight and put up 26 bench reps.  This is the type of guy I’d like to bet on, possibly as an ILB...maybe as a hybrid S/LB who specializes in covering TEs. 

7thDarius Allen, OLB, Colorado St. Pueblo.  Okay, I hadn’t heard of this guy until he visited, but his resume sounds too much like Robert Mathis’ college resume to pass him up.  The team’s site says he had 15.5 sacks in each of the last two seasons.  6’2”, 241, and his athletic numbers seem favorable to other possible 7th round OLBs (though not astounding).  In the 7th, you just try to add anyone who could figure into the future, so this is a low risk/high reward player to add.  Should do well on special teams.

7th –  DeAndrew White, WR, Alabama.  Thought about a QB, but with the next-to-the-last player in the draft, you have to start thinking about which players you can land as CFAs (if you pass them up at the end of the 7th).  Seems like it would be pretty easy to talk a CFA QB to sign with the Colts, since they have a 40 year old back-up, only two QBs on the roster, and a good reputation of letting CFAs compete for roster spots.  WRs?  Might be hard to get them to sign with the Colts, since there’s already a strong group on the team.  White has very good physical talent (4.44 forty, 4.18 short shuttle, and 34.5” vertical at 5’11”, 193).  He may be a victim of limited opportunities for WRs to shine at Alabama (and most of those opportunities going to Amari Cooper).

I like Collins but he will not be there at 29 but I like Byron Jones I think we need a good young CB to learn under the vets and would take him if heʻs there