Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Concussion lawsuit against NFL

Peyton and Eli fan

75 former players sued the NFL this week, claiming the league concealed information about the danger of concussions for decades

The suit alleges the NFL knew as early as the 1920s of the harmful effects of concussions but concealed them from coaches, trainers, players and the public until June 2010. It also names helmet-maker Riddell, the NFL's official helmet supplier.

Concussions are movements of the brain inside the skull from an impact. The former players contend that they suffered repeated concussions from hits and tackles during their years in the NFL that caused brain damage.

They contend the injuries left them with problems such as dementia, headaches, memory loss, blurred vision, sleeplessness and ringing in the ears. Some claim the injuries caused depression, anxiety, "explosive mood changes," poor judgment and substance abuse.

According to the suit, the NFL knew for decades that multiple blows to the head can cause long-term brain injury but fraudulently denied it, even as independent evidence showed that players were at risk

My link

Don't you think this sounds like the woman who sued mcdonalds because she spilled her coffee and it was hot?

True Story

Business owner dropped 7 M & M's down the front pocket of womens shirt, she won 1 million per M & M for %%**ual harassment due to shirt position

The first thing I thought of was the smokers suit against the tobacco companies which the article also refers to.

Where is Andy Rooney when you need him?

Responsibility and common sense will go a long way in life.

Re:

Responsibility and common sense will go a long way in life.

EVER SO TRUE

Yeah, but don't forget that the smokers won that suit.

True. But if put to the majority of the people instead of a jury of 12 do you think they would have?

I don't.

I'm sorry but to me this is "law-suits out of control".

Try taking some of the responsibility for the way your life is. Don't blame everyone else for your problems.

They didn't think repeated blows to the head would have lasting consequences because no one told them so?

I just don't get it.

True. But if put to the majority of the people instead of a jury of 12 do you think they would have?

I don't.

I'm sorry but to me this is "law-suits out of control".

Try taking some of the responsibility for the way your life is. Don't blame everyone else for your problems.

They didn't think repeated blows to the head would have lasting consequences because no one told them so?

I just don't get it.

Don't get me wrong - I agree with you 100%, I'm just worried that if a jury rules in their favor it could end up changing the game.

Don't you think this sounds like the woman who sued mcdonalds because she spilled her coffee and it was hot?

That McD's case was in a state with a neglegence off-set. I forget what percentage she was found to be at fault for her own injuries, but there was an off-set from the amount awarded. Can't remember the total award but say it was 2M...and she was found to be 40% at fault....her net would be 1.2M. There are a couple of states that have contributory negligence laws, which means if you're even 1% or very slightly at fault for your own injury you're barred from recovery. CA isn't one of them, of course. Just a side to the topic but interesting.

In the NFL concussion case, it's a fishing expedition that has at least some possibilities for getting some kind of payout. The retired players figure - what the heck might as well invest some millions in this because potential payout could be worth it. I see it as a misplaced beef with their own since the NFLPA does nothing for it's members except complain. Make no mistake, the plaintiffs in this case don't expect to "prevail" even in whacked-out Cali. What they are hoping for is to be "compensated" for _______ (whatever fill in the blank excuse). Can they outlast Riddell and the NFL over the legal long haul which could go well beyond the liberal CA system? My guess is no, but there could be a time when settlement in consideration of protracted litigation & costs could be worth it to defendants.

In the war between medical experts there would be plenty of board certified members to be found willing to hold feet to the fire for the players side on causation, I'm sure. And on the league's side there would be experts in their corner.....most particlary in the information/medical tech advance aspect of things (leather helmets of the 1920's, ribcage guards, etc., etc.) There would have to be proof enough to sway a jury.... and let's just say they ought to be glad I'm not on the panel of 12.

As far as the league concealing evidence vs. a known/reasonably presumable risk is concerned....I'm not so sure. An inherently dangerous job in which players are involved since childhood, Jr. High School, Pop Warner, High School, and college. Gimme a break. Ever hear the words "pre existing condition" ??? What, are they gonna sue their parents as well?...and their High Schools? If I'm counsel for the league on this I count up the total number of games these guys played before they ever made it to the NFL and ask them if they can tell me how many head impacts they had during all of those years. I also request personal records from each plaintiff including 25 yr. medical history and financials (or the max allowed under CA law), at a bare minimum. And that's just the beginning of a defense. I've not looked.....but I'll put up some more of those doughnuts (Maureen) that pro football would be categorized as a "ultra-hazardous" job by the California Industrial Commission (tie in from another thread).