Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Detroit Lions....issues

lollygagger8

To add a bit to what you have....

This "int thing on the road " is a total joke. News flash boys and girls ....when you are playing a much more talented team (NE , Chicago...Jets ran the ball down our throats) on the road and fall behind there are two things you can do.

1) Take it easy with your rookie QB and just run the ball , throw some short passes and mix in a down field one here and there.

2) You throw caution to the wind and let your rookie QB drop back behind his poor offensive line and throw the ball down the field trying to get back into the game. Mind you , you have the defense pinning their ears back rushing and playing pass in the back seven.

When you opt for number two , you will more than likely have a 2-3 int. game. There is no issue with how Luck plays on the road. Just mostly a case of falling behind to better teams.

The Colts trailed the Bears 24-17 at half, and 31-17 after the Bears first possession of the second half. The Colts trailed the Titans 10-6 when Luck threw his one INT in that game. The Colts led the Pats and had the ball in the mid to late second quarter when the first turnover changed the game for good. Not games out of reach. I don't disagree with your point, in fact I agree, some of the turnovers are absolutely from not quitting, fighting to get back in games, and are going to happen, this year as a rookie, and after 12 years too. But I don't agree that all of them can be nicely tucked away as caused by the game already being out of reach and they had to throw it all over the joint. In the Pats and Bears games, the turnovers set up the separation, and then led to additional TOs when trying to catch up. If all the turnovers happened when the Colts were already down 24, well the explanation works great, and the "int thing on the road" is a total joke. But they weren't.

Good examples of situational football DW49.

Just so lame for these talking heads trying to make issue of the Luck ints on the road. They act like they found some amazing stat that shows Luck plays poorly on the road. When you get behind and the other team plays pass and you oblige them by filling the sky with passes , you normally will see a much higher rate of ints. I've been watching NFL football since 1960 and this has held up for 52 years now.

The Colts trailed the Bears 24-17 at half, and 31-17 after the Bears first possession of the second half. The Colts trailed the Titans 10-6 when Luck threw his one INT in that game. The Colts led the Pats and had the ball in the mid to late second quarter when the first turnover changed the game for good. Not games out of reach. I don't disagree with your point, in fact I agree, some of the turnovers are absolutely from not quitting, fighting to get back in games, and are going to happen, this year as a rookie, and after 12 years too. But I don't agree that all of them can be nicely tucked away as caused by the game already being out of reach and they had to throw it all over the joint. In the Pats and Bears games, the turnovers set up the separation, and then led to additional TOs when trying to catch up. If all the turnovers happened when the Colts were already down 24, well the explanation works great, and the "int thing on the road" is a total joke. But they weren't.

Certainly not every Int Luck as thrown has come after the game was out of reach. What I said it has greatly contributed to the TD -Int ratio that was mentioned in this thread. My point is when you play more talented teams on the road and you HAVE to throw to have any chance of winning the game , you will get more ints. If it read that this was responsible for every int he has thrown on the road... then my bad.

Certainly not every Int Luck as thrown has come after the game was out of reach. What I said it has greatly contributed to the TD -Int ratio that was mentioned in this thread. My point is when you play more talented teams on the road and you HAVE to throw to have any chance of winning the game , you will get more ints. If it read that this was responsible for every int he has thrown on the road... then my bad.

I got your point and agree. There is often way too much weight put on INTs, especially in games which require chucking it around, and as you point out against superior opponents. The only thing I was trying to point out is it is fair to say Luck can impove ball protection, and if the Colts are going to continue to be very very good at home, it would be nice to see continued impovement on the road, where this season the numbers haven't been as good. Some with explanations, but others which I believe actually contribiuted to the need to get more aggressive and caused more turnovers. But this gets into the general play calling, the decision to have Luck throw it 42 times a game regardless of situation, lead, trail, etc. Topics already covered thoroughly...

I got your point and agree. There is often way too much weight put on INTs, especially in games which require chucking it around, and as you point out against superior opponents. The only thing I was trying to point out is it is fair to say Luck can impove ball protection, and if the Colts are going to continue to be very very good at home, it would be nice to see continued impovement on the road, where this season the numbers haven't been as good. Some with explanations, but others which I believe actually contribiuted to the need to get more aggressive and caused more turnovers. But this gets into the general play calling, the decision to have Luck throw it 42 times a game regardless of situation, lead, trail, etc. Topics already covered thoroughly...

Sure ... I agree that Luck can improve on the turnover issue and I'm sure he will. As you say , this is "old beat up stuff" but as he matures and the talent around him is upgraded , I'm of the opinion he will be a great QB. I guess my point is that I'm not at all surprised he has 13 ints considering what he is being asked to do.

Anyway... all is good and I think we pretty much of the same opinion.