Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Latu 3rd best Colts DE rookie year?

John Hammonds

Looking at basic stats on Pro Football Reference, Laiatu Latu is shaping up to maybe have the 3rd best rookie year among Colts defensive ends since drafting Dwight Freeney.  Now, let's not get too excited.  When you look at rookie year stats for our DE's, they're pretty bad.  If Ben Banogu can rank FIFTH in rookie year stats, that's pretty bad overall.  In fact, our DE's have not fared well early on.

ROOKIE YEAR DE BASIC STATS

#1 - 2002 Dwight Freeney - 16 games, 8 started, 13 sacks, 20 tackles for loss, 9 forced fumbles (and AP DROY)

#2 - 2021 Kwity Paye - 15 games, 15 started, 4 sacks, 3 tackles for loss, 1 forced fumble

#3 - 2024 Laiatu Latu (so far) - 7 games, 1 started, 2 sacks, 2 tackles for loss, 2 forced fumbles

#4 - 2013 Bjorn Werner - 13 games, 1 started, 2.5 sacks, 3 tackles for loss, 0 forced fumbles

#5 - 2019 Ben Banogu - 16 games, 0 started, 2.5 sacks, 3 tackles for loss, 1 forced fumble

#6 - 2018 Tyquan Lewis - 8 games, 6 started, 2 sacks, 3 tackles for loss, 0 forced fumbles

#7 - 2015 Henry Anderson - 9 games, 9 started, 1 sack, 5 tackles for loss, 0 forced fumbles

#8 - 2017 Terrell Basham - 15 games, 0 started, 2 sacks, 1 tackle for loss, 1 forced fumble

#9 - 2021 Dayo Odeyingbo - 10 games, 0 started, 0.5 sacks, 0 tackles for loss, 1 forced fumble

#10 - 2010 Jerry Hughes - 12 games, 0 started, 0 sacks, 1 tackle for loss, 0 forced fumbles

It's possible that Latu could actually pass Paye for #2 on the rookie year list.

• Like 2

This isn’t to OP but why do we instantly have to compare young players to past players when they have less than 1 season of games that they played. Let them develop and get experience before jumping to conclusions about them.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Thread of the Week

• Topics

• I agree with the comment “probably terrified…” I cannot remember which commentator mentioned that Mr. Luck was the most hit QB in the NFL. I got so frustrated to see him get sacked or hit after passes. I bet he could tell which stadium’s grass had the best and worst flavor and which stadium had the softest artificial turf.   Who let this happen for two to three years?  Pagano and the higher up muckedy mucks!🫥 I don’t know how much pressure it takes to be tackled to cause a ruptured liver. Anybody else know? 🤨 Yes, I was excited to see him comeback but I took his surprised retirement as a smart thing to do.    He was too nice to say, “Hey coach, Cheese's Fries, I getting my butt handed to me!” but would say “Someone will have to replace the chunk I grass I took out with my teeth on the 50 yard line, someone could get hurt!”😇   Andrew Luck could have won a SB with the our Colts. I would bet coach p and others, probably felt the same way I did that they should have opened up their tight wallets to protect him with a better OL. 😕   AR5 has a long way to go before I can compare him to Andrew’s greatness. Well, I feel it will never happen. It’s just a gut feeling I have, or it could be just “ gas.”😳   There might not be anyone that saw what I saw or agree with my comments but Mr. Luck is probably happy and healthy with his life as we speak…type.   I would bet that he hopes that AR5 has a successfully long and healthy career with our Colts…and to not be afraid to speak up if he starts to taste artificial turf, frequently!😕   Go, Colts youngest fans!          
    • Al-Shaajr being out is a huge loss for the Texans as he is there best LB. Add that Nico is out, I think we have a good chance of winning this. Robert Woods will be the deep threat but isn’t Nico, the Texans passing game was kind of lost last week. I imagine they will be better playing our scheme. 
    • The o-line has been the biggest disappointment, especially when it comes to penalties (Tunsil) and poor play in general (Green, Mason). I knew Strausser’s tenure in Indy wasn’t great but sheesh, and I along with other fans had no choice but to give him a chance, but sheesh. He’s gotta go. 
    • It’s their Oline that doesn’t handle blitzing. Apparently it’s been a problem last few weeks. Same thing with colts when Strausser was here.
  • Members