Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson 1st Half Plays Against Miami

compuls1v3

The format of this recap was to notate all the offensive plays.  I might have missed a few punts, and I formatting is not consistent.  Towards the end, I started putting the down (not distance) for some context.  Next time I do this I'll be more consistent (down AND distance for each play).  What I learned was 1) Richardson can make short, easy passes (for him, I say short is 10 yards or less).  2)  When given time, he seemed pretty accurate.  3)  I'd like to see more passes that happen before 3 seconds. I'm thinking like 3 step drops, then pass.  More 5 yard passes to get warmed up.

I found this site to be interesting, though I don't comprehend some of the stats.  https://www.stampedeblue.com/2024/10/21/24275888/colts-week-7-qb-analysis

The account below is just my opinion.  I'll leave it at that.  Hopefully some people agree with what I saw!

1st RG Tucker gets beat by Campbell and stuffs the run.
2nd Richardson runs and slides.
3rd horrible pass by Richardson, some pressure, but should not have affected the throw.
4th pocket collapsing, Richardson throws well behind Ogletree.
5th on target pass, but there was a no call PI by Miami to Granson.
6th overthrows Pierce for a long ball.
7th, Good run right by Goodson.
8th Bad run by Goodson, could have 2 yards for a first down to the right, but ran into the pile for 1 yard.
9th Trey Sermon, up middle/left, got a first down.
10th Richardson flushed out, ran right for 8 yards.
11th, plenty of time throws short to Mitchell, but it's caught.  He was WIDE open.
12th, threw the ball away high.
13th Slow ball thrown over the middle to a TE? was tipped.  Either more zip or more arch would have been good.
14th Defender gets a hand on his facemask, runs left, and looks to initiate contact on a long run.  Stupid play IMO.  He already got the first down, no need to take a hit...
15th RPO?  He gives to the RB, and Campbell beats Smith.  Richardson should have seen that and pulled the ball.
16th Richardson fumbles the exchange, then tries to scoop the ball instead of falling on it.  Colts fumble lost.
17th Goodson up the middle, no gain.  Could have broke it right off tackle.
18th Great short pass to TE for 5 yard gain.  
19th Intermediate pass to Pittman, PI on Miami not called.  Defender was their early. 
20th-1st-Beautiful pass to Pittman left, for 9 yards.
21st-2nd-Sermon runs up the gut for a first down.  Miami defender tackled him 2 yards forward...lol.
22nd-1st-Richardson was rushed, escaped, had a WIDE open Downs to his right, and Richardson throws back to his left, and throws a horrible pass, short to Cox.  Wierd thing is he was looking in Downs direction, and didnt' throw it.
23rd-2nd-Awesome toss left, fake right to Downs.  Goodson for 6 yards.
24th-3rd-Richardson keeper left, he slips short 3 yards shy of the first down.
24th-Punt.
25th-1st-clean pocket, perfect intermediate pass to Pierce, and a rare Pierce drop.
26th-2nd-clean pocket, perfect throw to Pittman for a large gain, put us in FG range.
27th-1st-run up the middle, 3 yard gain.
28th-2nd FG. End of half.

He needs his supporting cast to play to their potential and he needs to run. It's like his running opens up the passing game... who would've thought...

Also, Steichen needs to do a better job of calling high success rate plays early to get him going.

There's been a lot of failing from the offense, some of it is on AR, some of it is on the rest of the team and coaching.

• Like 2

No one is talking about how Richardson straight up just avoided about 3 dead-to-rights sacks in this game too by simply shrugging people off of him, who were all over him.

It was a tough game, and their defense played well. 

How is no one giving Richardson any grace? He is still essentially a rookie, who didnt have that much experience even before he was drafted, coming off a season ending injury last season, and missing most of offseason too. we all knew he would have to lean on his physical traits early to have success, and look at this past game.... he made plays with his feet, shrugged people off and avoided sacks... He did exactly what we all knew he would be early in his career, all with the missed time and rust of coming back from injuries.... 

Jeez guys, never seen so many people upset after a gutted out win....

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

No one is talking about how Richardson straight up just avoided about 3 dead-to-rights sacks in this game too by simply shrugging people off of him, who were all over him.

It was a tough game, and their defense played well. 

How is no one giving Richardson any grace? He is still essentially a rookie, who didnt have that much experience even before he was drafted, coming off a season ending injury last season, and missing most of offseason too. we all knew he would have to lean on his physical traits early to have success, and look at this past game.... he made plays with his feet, shrugged people off and avoided sacks... He did exactly what we all knew he would be early in his career, all with the missed time and rust of coming back from injuries.... 

Jeez guys, never seen so many people upset after a gutted out win....

I think this type of win builds confidence and character.  Miami's defense is no slouch.  Improvements during a game are noticeable to me.  I'm excited to see how he handles our next 4-5 games.  Hopefully we get Buck and Taylor back thus week.   It should help.  Also your right, he avoided a few sacks with his legs.   Let's see if he can learn to make teams pay for their blitzes with his arm. 

Good Break down.  Now do one for the 2nd half for us lazy people. 

I would argue that his second-half play shows why he needs to play. As the game progressed, he got better and really good in the second half. That is why the injuries are so frustrating. Minus those, he would be further along. The worst play in the half was play 14. It was a big gain, but he could not take that hit. How is SS going to get that through to him? If he does not learn that, he will not last.

Not to clutter up the other thread, but my apologies for allowing myself to get wrapped-up in a play calling discussion while not following my rule of looking at the ESPN play by play first.  My bad.

It was obvious that he was inaccurate in the first half.  The new IndyStar article says at one point in the 3rd Q, AR was 5 for 18 for 64 yards.  That seems wrong, but not far off.   Sorry. that's on him and not the coach.   He finished 10/24 for 129, so that means he went 5/6 for 65 in 4Q?.  Which is also on him, so congrats. 

I know there were more called QB runs as the game wore on, which also led to 2 FG drives.  AR did not throw a pass in the red zone all game.

34 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Good Break down.  Now do one for the 2nd half for us lazy people. 

I would argue that his second-half play shows why he needs to play. As the game progressed, he got better and really good in the second half. That is why the injuries are so frustrating. Minus those, he would be further along. The worst play in the half was play 14. It was a big gain, but he could not take that hit. How is SS going to get that through to him? If he does not learn that, he will not last.

My sentiments exactly.  I hope SS points that out during film study.  I'm sure he will.  AR really needs to ask himself a tough question.  Do I want to be THE best?  If so, he'll learn that availability will give him the longevity, and if he can continue to improve, he'll have a better shot at being the best.  This attitude of "I want to hit people through contact" won't last.

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Not to clutter up the other thread, but my apologies for allowing myself to get wrapped-up in a play calling discussion while not following my rule of looking at the ESPN play by play first.  My bad.

It was obvious that he was inaccurate in the first half.  The new IndyStar article says at one point in the 3rd Q, AR was 5 for 18 for 64 yards.  That seems wrong, but not far off.   Sorry. that's on him and not the coach.   He finished 10/24 for 129, so that means he went 5/6 for 65 in 4Q?.  Which is also on him, so congrats. 

I know there were more called QB runs as the game wore on, which also led to 2 FG drives.  AR did not throw a pass in the red zone all game.

The redzone definitely needs some work.  I'm not sure how many times were actually got their without the help of our defense.  I'm excited for the Houston game.  It's on the road, against an opponent we went toe to toe with last meeting.  This game has HUGE implications.

• Like 1