Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Shane Calling Plays to Win Games or to Groom AR?

Smonroe

And before anyone writes anything, I know it's not mutually exclusive.

Here's the reasoning - so far, AR has run the ball 18 times in three games.  They're mostly playing him as a pocket passer.  As if they're teaching him the position.  Very few called runs or RPOs.  Hence, the offense hasn't stayed on the field nearly enough to help out the D.

Whereas the Commanders have run Daniels 38 times.  They're basically running his college offense.  They're doing whatever it takes to win games.  In the long run, that may not be a sound strategy if he ends up like RGknee.

There's no question that AR is a more dangerous runner, but the concern is injury.  

Personally, I think Shane is taking the right approach.  We need to see if AR is the franchise this season. 

• Like 2

Shane has always had the mindset of get ahead with the pass but drain the clock and finish it off with the run. Regardless of what he sees in practice with AR with a red jersey where he can complete underneath passes with less pressure, game play has shown things to be different. So, with regards to the run game, he has not taken off the training wheels for AR with him coming off an injury, while he is adapting his passing game play calling to what he sees with AR on the field. 

With AR probably still doing rehab, the full examination of his mechanics, I had to guess, wasn't completely possible at TC??? Then add the "can't touch the QB" principles employed in TC dilutes anything he could glean on the mechanics front without much pressure, is my educated guess.

I really feel that the second half of the season is where we will see more things come together. It is like my friend's friend's daughter who is French American, who was half fluent in French and English till around 7 or 8, and then by 10, she was fluent in both. AR is still putting it together, Shane is still putting it together on several fronts. That is my measured response with a hint of optimism. :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Shane has always had the mindset of get ahead with the pass but drain the clock and finish it off with the run. Regardless of what he sees in practice with AR with a red jersey where he can complete underneath passes with less pressure, game play has shown things to be different. So, with regards to the run game, he has not taken off the training wheels for AR with him coming off an injury, while he is adapting his passing game play calling to what he sees with AR on the field. 

With AR probably still doing rehab, the full examination of his mechanics, I had to guess, wasn't completely possible at TC??? Then add the "can't touch the QB" principles employed in TC dilutes anything he could glean on the mechanics front without much pressure, is my educated guess.

I really feel that the second half of the season is where we will see more things come together. It is like my friend's friend's daughter who was French American who was half fluent in French and English till around 7 or 8, and then by 10, she was fluent in both. AR is still putting it together, Shane is still putting it together on several fronts. That is my measured response with a hint of optimism. :) 

AR is getting close.  And I agree with you about Shane.  AR needs to clean up a few things and the offense could roll without him always running.  

But I still feel they need to have a called run and a few more RPOs to keep the defenses on their heels.  Even with what they're doing now, it's helping Taylor.  It can only get better when they use AR a little more like that.

However - injuries is always the wildcard.  Look how many good players around the league are already out for weeks or even on IR for the year.  Quality depth is going to tell the tale.

• Like 1

I wonder if they're being more careful with Anthony Richardson early in the season because another significant early-season injury would be a disaster. They surely can't afford for him to be essentially a rookie again next season. Maybe he will run the ball more after he's gotten a fair bit of experience this season and an injury wouldn't completely throw his development back to the starting point again. He also may need to prove that he's gotten better in avoiding big hits, which could be a process that takes a while.  

• Like 1

The thing is, if AR ran more, defenses would give him more opportunities in the passing game.

AR has a pocket passer's mentality, but he's SO raw. I don't think there's anything wrong in using his athletic ability while he's transitioning to NFL football and learning to be a QB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

The thing is, if AR ran more, defenses would give him more opportunities in the passing game.

AR has a pocket passer's mentality, but he's SO raw. I don't think there's anything wrong in using his athletic ability while he's transitioning to NFL football and learning to be a QB.

I agree.  The only issue is if he has the mental discipline to slide or go down early instead of bulling through a defender.  When you're in the heat of a game, it has to be hard to pull up the reins.

Mahomes is the gold standard.  He often will run when the opportunity is there, but he rarely gets hit.  Still, even he's had injuries.  They're not 100% preventable, but you can help yourself avoid them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EasyE said:

He definitely doing something different. Sure not using JT that much and I would pull my hair out if I had any. Lol 

JT is over 100 yards in each of the last two games.   He is the reason they beat the Bears.  He needs more touches though.   I agree

The NFL is a passing league.  Running is for killing the clock, for which you need to have a running game/RB powerful enough to run the ball when the opposing D knows you are going to run the ball.  Teams don't really need a big play running game. That is a separate issue from ARs play.

Since last year was a throw away year that followed a 4-12 season to focus on ARs development , that we did not get, this year should be that year.  Why would there be any complaints about that?

But, there needs to be better time of possession so AR can get more reps, not because we should be winning games in a season where we still don't have good enough personnel to contend for anything beyond a weak AFC South division title.

43 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The NFL is a passing league.  Running is for killing the clock, for which you need to have a running game/RB powerful enough to run the ball when the opposing D knows you are going to run the ball.  Teams don't really need a big play running game. That is a separate issue from ARs play.

Since last year was a throw away year that followed a 4-12 season to focus on ARs development , that we did not get, this year should be that year.  Why would there be any complaints about that?

But, there needs to be better time of possession so AR can get more reps, not because we should be winning games in a season where we still don't have good enough personnel to contend for anything beyond a weak AFC South division title.

A power running game will always be effective .  JT needs more touches

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

A power running game will always be effective .  JT needs more touches

Yes agree on both, but JT isn't a power back per se....the pile mover I'm talking about when teams are closing out the game and the D knows you are running.  That's another convo.

But AR should benefit from more JT touches during the majority of the game.  Increasing TOP would get AR more passing plays.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes agree on both, but JT isn't a power back per se....the pile mover I'm talking about when teams are closing out the game and the D knows you are running.  That's another convo.

But AR should benefit from more JT touches during the majority of the game.  Increasing TOP would get AR more passing plays.

The Bears knew JT would be getting the ball at 2:01.  The oline and JT pounded it for a first down.   What you are talking about,  literally just happened 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Running is not just for killing the clock.  You increase ToP by running.  

The game is about first downs.  We don’t need AR to complete 70%, just to “make the layups”.  Maybe run to extend a drive when it’s there for the taking.  

I can think of at least one play where he scrambled, and could have gotten the first if he continued to run.  But he tried for the bigger gain and missed on the pass.  4th down, punt.  

I’m not sure he’s being coached not to run or it’s his call.  He wasn’t like that last season.