Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1998 Draft / 2012 Draft

bavanlan

Looking back on the drafts following Peyton, it shows me how valuable our first one or two picks have been. I don't know what people are talking about with Polian finding "diamonds in the rough". I guess Mathis was one but I don't see many others.

People need to relax. It takes 2 or 3 drafts to get a solid team. And that is if your first couple of picks each draft pan out.

Personally I like our first 3 picks and I think we have started to build a solid offensive core.

Looking back on the drafts following Peyton, it shows me how valuable our first one or two picks have been. I don't know what people are talking about with Polian finding "diamonds in the rough". I guess Mathis was one but I don't see many others.

That's because you don't know very much? I'm not saying, I'm just wondering.

Hunter Smith - 7th

Rick DeMulling -7th

Ryan Diem - 4th

Cato June - 6th

Bob Sanders - 2nd (Steal considering his draft position and what he did)

Jason David - 4th

Jake Scott - 5th

Charlie Johnson - 6th

Antoine Bethea - 6th

Except for DeMulling, every one of those guys were major contributors to the Super Bowl championship team. Polian was a great talent evaluator and if you put his record up against anyone else's it more than holds its own.

Hunter Smith - 7th

Rick DeMulling -7th

Ryan Diem - 4th

Cato June - 6th

Jason David - 4th

Jake Scott - 5th

Charlie Johnson - 6th

Antoine Bethea - 6th

Except for DeMulling, every one of those guys were major contributors to the Super Bowl championship team. Polian was a great talent evaluator and if you put his record up against anyone else's it more than holds its own.

Not to mention Pierre Garcon 6th, Pat McAfee 7th, Collie 4th

Hunter Smith - 7th

Rick DeMulling -7th

Ryan Diem - 4th

Cato June - 6th

Jason David - 4th

Jake Scott - 5th

Charlie Johnson - 6th

Antoine Bethea - 6th

UDFA Dom Rhodes.. Also a huge factor in our Super Bowl win

Hunter Smith - 7th

Rick DeMulling -7th

Ryan Diem - 4th

Cato June - 6th

Jason David - 4th

Jake Scott - 5th

Charlie Johnson - 6th

Antoine Bethea - 6th

So out of 14 drafts you found 8 players drafted later than 2nd round who did something for us. I also would not count Hunter Smith since punters always go later. That takes us to 7 players mentioned.

And out of those 7 there are players (Cato June, Demulling, David to some extent) who only played well for the Colts for a couple of years and I would argue are more products of the system.

Even if you say 7 players were studs, that could easily be from the statistics of 40-50 picks over 14 years. We could probably go through most teams drafts and find 7 players over 14 years that have made an impact to their respective teams.

As for other comments, I agree on Rhodes (though not a draft choice), Garcon, and Collie. Polian obviously knows his stuff...but I would not say he his heads and tails above the rest.