Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TE log jam soon

JediXMan

53 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW: 

Bowers is not an in-line TE.   He’s not a Y.   He’s an F.  He’s roughly 6’4” and 230.   He’s a much better Kylen Granson or Will Mallory.    Those guys were 4th and 5th round guys.   Do you really want to use a top-10 pick to get an upgrade?  

And you know the Colts are picking in the top 10 how?

3 hours ago, krunk said:

I think Woods will show to be that. We just need to get him back in rotation and into the flow of things. Woods and Ogletree is what I'm most excited about.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW: 

Bowers is not an in-line TE.   He’s not a Y.   He’s an F.  He’s roughly 6’4” and 230.   He’s a much better Kylen Granson or Will Mallory.    Those guys were 4th and 5th round guys.   Do you really want to use a top-10 pick to get an upgrade?  

Bowers appears to be a better blocker than Mallory and Granson, but I agree that his position is a move TE.

All of our guys are prospects, in that, they did not have a tremendous amount of D1 college production.  Their upside is still  speculative.  Bowers is showing against SEC competition that he can play the NFL position right away....I put him in the category of Nelson, who we knew could step in and start day 1 and play well (not play to the same level as Nelson as a rookie though).   

Yes. I'd use a top 10 pick on a guy that can beat three other guys (a cover guy then two tacklers) and score TDs or get FDs, over using that pick on a G, for example.

If next year's TE group was Bowers, Woods (blocking), Ogletree, and Granson or Mallory....I think that would be a big upgrade to the TE room.  And Mallory could possibly be rostered as a (bully slot) WR if we upgraded the talent at the top of that roster at some point.

BTW, I don't want to talk draft at this point, just in the context of the TE room quality.  They are all young and speculative, IMO.

Enjoy the season

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Bowers appears to be a better blocker than Mallory and Granson, but I agree that his position is a move TE.

All of our guys are prospects, in that, they did not have a tremendous amount of D1 college production.  Their upside is still  speculative.  Bowers is showing against SEC competition that he can play the NFL position right away....I put him in the category of Nelson, who we knew could step in and start day 1 and play well (not play to the same level as Nelson as a rookie though).   

Yes. I'd use a top 10 pick on a guy that can beat three other guys (a cover guy then two tacklers) and score TDs or get FDs, over using that pick on a G, for example.

If next year's TE group was Bowers, Woods (blocking), Ogletree, and Granson or Mallory....I think that would be a big upgrade to the TE room.  And Mallory could possibly be rostered as a (bully slot) WR if we upgraded the talent at the top of that roster at some point.

BTW, I don't want to talk draft at this point, just in the context of the TE room quality.  They are all young and speculative, IMO.

Enjoy the season

It's all speculative until you see it produced in the NFL. Bowers is still in College. Woods we have already got a glimpse of his NFL tragectory. For me I would rather bet on that. Woods has everything Bowers has in my mind. And I think Ogletree has room to be really good as well. What we have right now with them in terms of potential reminds me of the Gronk and Hernandez tandem. And we still have other talented guys behind them. For me I really like what we have!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

It's all speculative until you see it produced in the NFL. Bowers is still in College. Woods we have already got a glimpse of his NFL tragectory. For me I would rather bet on that. Woods has everything Bowers has in my mind. And I think Ogletree has room to be really good as well. What we have right now with them in terms of potential reminds me of the Gronk and Hernandez tandem. And we still have other talented guys behind them. For me I really like what we have!

I see your opinion.  I think Woods, and Gransons hands are inconsistent and Mallory lacks physicality.  Ogletree seems like a good blend of the three.  But nobody in our TE room was higher than a 3rd round draft choice, so a limited ceiling is expected, and building the room with situational rotations in mind. 

Its just another Ballard room where we have good players and a good core but no real playmakers, and we have to hope one defies the odds even more to become a playmaker.  And I don't mean simply making nice catches when he's kind of open or running for a TD when the closest defender in not within 5 yards of him. 

5 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

And you know the Colts are picking in the top 10 how?

And you know the Colts are picking out of the top-10 how? 

Seriously, why should that bother you?   Right now most all media who projects are predicting the Colts pick the top-5.   I’m guessing top-10.   

I’m not rooting for a bad season.   I’m on record multiple times as predicting 6-7 wins.   Better than last year and in-line with media and Vegas predictions.   Most other posters here make similar predictions.  But they don’t get this response from you.   I’ll be happy if the Colts exceed expectations.   Surprised, but happy.   Either way, I’m in line with most media and fans.   This really shouldn’t bother you the way it does. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

And you know the Colts are picking out of the top-10 how? 

Seriously, why should that bother you?   Right now most all media who projects are predicting the Colts pick the top-5.   I’m guessing top-10.   

I’m not rooting for a bad season.   I’m on record multiple times as predicting 6-7 wins.   Better than last year and in-line with media and Vegas predictions.   Most other posters here make similar predictions.  But they don’t get this response from you.   I’ll be happy if the Colts exceed expectations.   Surprised, but happy.   Either way, I’m in line with most media and fans.   This really shouldn’t bother you the way it does. 

Sheep Eating GIF

12 hours ago, krunk said:

when did it become a false conclusion? he's always been known and given value for his blocking. and that's part of why they could let Brown go. he just happens to be a decent receiver as well.

Well we can say last year proved it to be a false conclusion  here is his grade and where he ranked,,,,

According to Pro Football Focus, Alie-Cox had a run-blocking grade of 49.3, ranking 55th out of 72 eligible tight ends and the worst grade of his five-year career. 

On 9/21/2023 at 4:08 AM, krunk said:

when did it become a false conclusion? he's always been known and given value for his blocking. and that's part of why they could let Brown go. he just happens to be a decent receiver as well.

It became a false conclusion when he was asked to be the #1 TE last year. His blocking regressed immensely. I believe Ogletree is a better blocker and Woods is just as capable of a blocker than MAC