Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Oh dear Harbaugh and Luck meeting with Irsay

Restinpeacesweetchloe

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

I have already disproven the “spoiled” narrative with historical evidence - there’s nothing wrong with wanting better after 6 years of average. The average GM tenure with the Colts is 5.3 years IIRC. 

Are the Pats, Steelers and Packers happy with their current situation? No? So everyone is spoiled for wanting to win? Why don’t you go and tell the owners that. :lol:

I don't agree with the "spoiled" label. I think sometimes entitled, oftentimes with an inferiority complex (which is an interesting mix). Maybe unreasonable expectations at QB, which is understandable after Manning, then Luck. And sometimes entirely out of touch with reality.

And overly angsty about attracting talent, which is silly, IMO. NFL players almost always go for the money. The Colts don't sign a lot of big ticket FAs because they don't want to, not because they can't convince players to take their money. 

And at HC, what makes a job attractive these days is basically whether you have a QB, or the means to get one. A couple weeks ago, I thought Brandon Staley might be on the hot seat; probably not anymore. If the Chargers job came open, they'd be the hottest draw for a HC candidate. They have poor ownership, a weird dynamic with their fanbase, they're basically a small market team in the #2 market, being overshadowed by their older, richer, more attractive sibling. They have a solid GM in Telesco, but they've had a lot of ups and downs since 2013, missed some big draft picks, and somehow Telesco has hired 3 different HCs. The Chargers have two playoff wins in nine seasons; they only have two playoff appearances in nine seasons! Telesco is never talked about as being on the hot seat. And end of the day, if they were looking for a new HC this year, they could get Sean Payton, or whoever else might be considered a big ticket draw right now (not including Harbaugh because I don't think he's leaving Michigan; I also don't get the hype over him and don't want him for the Colts, no matter what). 

So this idea that talent would balk at the Colts kind of baffles me, whether it's about players, coaches, or GMs. I think there are legitimate questions about Irsay's involvement since last year, but I think that's speculative until we have a better idea where things are headed. Historically, Irsay has not been a meddling owner, and it's possible that he got involved for a course correction, and will go right back to his usual mode of operation. 

So maybe not spoiled, but there are other attitudes prevalent among this fanbase that I find baffling, and think are not rooted in reality. 

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would live to get Harbaugh! 

Luck is not coming back even with Harbaugh. 

Harbaugh made Kap look good, he can make anyone look good! 

Who would Harbaugh want at QB? 

FA/Trade? - Carr? Jimmy G? 

Draft? - Levis? McKee? 

Draft flyer after taking Skornoski in 1st? - Sam Hartman? Grayson McCall? 

On 12/6/2022 at 3:20 PM, stitches said:

I'm not too worried right now, but both Leonard and Nelson are on 2 year streaks that should be at least a bit worrying. Leonard mainly due to injuries, Nelson - a combo of injuries and subpar performances. Leonard has already had 3 concussions just in the NFL if I'm not mistaken. This in addition to an injury that required an ankle surgery, a back surgery and then another back surgery... I have no idea how we can have any confidence he ever gets close to his play from before those injuries. Nelson is far from being useless, even in his current shape, but he's also far from being a 20M a year guard in his current shape(and BTW IMO he didn't deserve 2nd team all pro last year... IMO he got it just on name recognition alone). 

For whatever it's worth I think I'm more worried about Leonard than Nelson. Just his injuries are more serious and more misteriously not resolving as expected so far. 

I trade Leonard - someone will take him for some good picks.  Stick with Zaire and draft another LB in later round. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't agree with the "spoiled" label. I think sometimes entitled, oftentimes with an inferiority complex (which is an interesting mix). Maybe unreasonable expectations at QB, which is understandable after Manning, then Luck. And sometimes entirely out of touch with reality.

And overly angsty about attracting talent, which is silly, IMO. NFL players almost always go for the money. The Colts don't sign a lot of big ticket FAs because they don't want to, not because they can't convince players to take their money. 

And at HC, what makes a job attractive these days is basically whether you have a QB, or the means to get one. A couple weeks ago, I thought Brandon Staley might be on the hot seat; probably not anymore. If the Chargers job came open, they'd be the hottest draw for a HC candidate. They have poor ownership, a weird dynamic with their fanbase, they're basically a small market team in the #2 market, being overshadowed by their older, richer, more attractive sibling. They have a solid GM in Telesco, but they've had a lot of ups and downs since 2013, missed some big draft picks, and somehow Telesco has hired 3 different HCs. The Chargers have two playoff wins in nine seasons; they only have two playoff appearances in nine seasons! Telesco is never talked about as being on the hot seat. And end of the day, if they were looking for a new HC this year, they could get Sean Payton, or whoever else might be considered a big ticket draw right now (not including Harbaugh because I don't think he's leaving Michigan; I also don't get the hype over him and don't want him for the Colts, no matter what). 

So this idea that talent would balk at the Colts kind of baffles me, whether it's about players, coaches, or GMs. I think there are legitimate questions about Irsay's involvement since last year, but I think that's speculative until we have a better idea where things are headed. Historically, Irsay has not been a meddling owner, and it's possible that he got involved for a course correction, and will go right back to his usual mode of operation. 

So maybe not spoiled, but there are other attitudes prevalent among this fanbase that I find baffling, and think are not rooted in reality. 

Again, history tells us different. That goes for the Colts and for the rest of the league. 5-6 years. If teams aren't consistently in the playoffs or at the very least improving season to season the GM is shown the door. Call it spoiled. Call it entitled. Call it unreasonable expectations. Tell it to the owners - they disagree.

Seems people think I think the organization is permanently damaged or a bad. I don't. I don't think any football organization is. I do, however, think the Colts is a less attractive place to be for players, coaches and GMs right now. Because of Ballard and Irsay. I do agree a QB is needed and is a big, if not the primary, draw for a HC and GM and maybe even players if they want a ring. Players know we don't deal out the big contracts and we don't have a long term answer at QB. Irsay has been meddling for at least two seasons now. That's usually the case when he's unhappy with what the GM is doing, which incidentally suggests he isn't happy after 6 years with Ballard (shame on him?).

Now, if you think that leaves me with an inferiority complex or I am overly angsty about attracting talent I think you are reading waaay to much into this. I don't live and breathe this team. When I don't drop by here or watch the games I don't give them the time of day.

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Again, history tells us different. That goes for the Colts and for the rest of the league. 5-6 years. If teams aren't consistently in the playoffs or at the very least improving season to season the GM is shown the door. Call it spoiled. Call it entitled. Call it unreasonable expectations. Tell it to the owners - they disagree.

Seems people think I think the organization is permanently damaged or a bad. I don't. I don't think any football organization is. I do, however, think the Colts is a less attractive place to be for players, coaches and GMs right now. Because of Ballard and Irsay. I do agree a QB is needed and is a big, if not the primary, draw for a HC and GM and maybe even players if they want a ring. Players know we don't deal out the big contracts and we don't have a long term answer at QB. Irsay has been meddling for at least two seasons now. That's usually the case when he's unhappy with what the GM is doing, which incidentally suggests he isn't happy after 6 years with Ballard (shame on him?).

Now, if you think that leaves me with an inferiority complex or I am overly angsty about attracting talent I think you are reading waaay to much into this. I don't live and breathe this team. When I don't drop by here or watch the games I don't give them the time of day.

My comments weren't directly at you specifically. You were talking about Colts fans in general, so was I. 

To the bolded, you'd have to be completely oblivious to the general tone of this board over the past couple months to not see how many people talk about the Colts operation as if it is permanently damaged. However, the whole 'I don't care that much' thing has a touch of entitlement to it.

I disagree that Irsay has been meddling for two seasons. And I think the fact that his move was to get rid of the coach and keep the GM speaks to his feelings about the operation. We know for sure he was unhappy with the coaching. 

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

My comments weren't directly at you specifically. You were talking about Colts fans in general, so was I. 

To the bolded, you'd have to be completely oblivious to the general tone of this board over the past couple months to not see how many people talk about the Colts operation as if it is permanently damaged. However, the whole 'I don't care that much' thing has a touch of entitlement to it.

I disagree that Irsay has been meddling for two seasons. And I think the fact that his move was to get rid of the coach and keep the GM speaks to his feelings about the operation. We know for sure he was unhappy with the coaching. 

I don't get how that is entitled? I do care when I watch the games and when I'm discussing the team with people here. It just doesn't mean all that much in my daily life - I don't have Colts banners, shirts or other such things any where in my appartment and I'm not thinking about the team 24/7.

Well Irsay definitely was a big reason for Wentz not being here, that makes it two seasons in my book?

34 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I don't get how that is entitled? I do care when I watch the games and when I'm discussing the team with people here. It just doesn't mean all that much in my daily life - I don't have Colts banners, shirts or other such things any where in my appartment and I'm not thinking about the team 24/7.

Well Irsay definitely was a big reason for Wentz not being here, that makes it two seasons in my book?

They got rid of Wentz in 2022. To whatever extent Irsay meddled in that decision, it did not impact the 2021 season. 

Regarding entitlement, it read like 'they aren't good enough to even watch all the games, much less be on my mind.' 

35 minutes ago, Superman said:

They got rid of Wentz in 2022. To whatever extent Irsay meddled in that decision, it did not impact the 2021 season. 

Regarding entitlement, it read like 'they aren't good enough to even watch all the games, much less be on my mind.' 

Well Irsay did quip about Wentz during the season. 

Ah, well I do watch all the games unless it’s not reasonable due to timezone differences. And I like to be here on the site in the gameday thread when I’m able. :thmup:

Archived