Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 - 2023 Indiana Pacers and everything NBA thread

46 minutes ago, w87r said:

Nah, game 1 was fine.

Miami wasn't aggressive at all, just kept jacking up 3's and jump shots. Even said so themselves.

Last night was something else and a reason why the NBA product isn't very good. Let's even say what you said is true, refs shouldn't go into a game with the intent to "make up" for last games calls. Refs always have there moments, where they put their stamp on the game, last night it was literally from the opening tip on. 

Not even all about foul calls. 3 straight loose in balls that seemed to be off Miami, but possession given to Miami. Obvious goaltend at the end in a 3 point game.

Think that was my last game of the season. Don't really care who wins, but I have no interest in watching garbage like that.

I will tune back in for Ja punishment and the draft.

You and I have talked about this a lot on how REFS can alter games. I will say this I have seen much worse Reffing in the past. Games where the Pacers got screwed playing the Knicks and Bulls in the playoffs. Kings/Lakers in 2002, etc.. This wasn't even close to that. I am not really disagreeing with you but I have seen worse. To me Denver just went cold, they had an 8 point lead in the 4th Qtr, Miami was making everything in the 4th. Guys like Bruce Brown and Porter have been playing like Hall of Famers these whole playoffs and finally they came back down to earth.

Regarding Morant I will predict he gets 41 games. To me that seems appropriate for what he did, that is half a season. Hopefully he gets the help he needs and learns a valuable lesson.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Miami only shot 20 FT's, Denver shot 22 FT's. Miami made 17 3's, they deserve credit and that is the main reason why they won. Making 17 3's had nothing to do with the REFS.

Like I said it's not all about foul calls.

No calls on this end, touch calls on that end

Who the ball is out of bounce on.

Non called goaltending

Double dribble calls

Non traveling calls

The only thing consistent last night was Miami got all those calls their way.

Miami played good and Denver did some dumb things, fouling on multiple 3ptrs, 2 guys running with 1 leaving guys wide open, missing their switching assignments. That 10pts from Duncan Robinson to start the 4th was brutal. 

Denver couldn't take a timeout at the end being down 3 because it would of given Miami a chance to talk about the situation and take a foul instead of letting them shoot a 3. If that goaltend was called it would've been a 1pt game. Even better take away the phantom 3pt play by Butler, where he flopped, late in the game and it would of been a tie going into the last possession.

Now I do blame Malone for not using his challenge. There was multiple times were he should've, especially that 3pt play by Butler, where he wasn't even touched.

With the inconsistency of NBA refs, teams should have more than 1 challenge, or at least if your challenge is successful you get another one.

You and I have talked about this a lot on how REFS can alter games. I will say this I have seen much worse Reffing in the past. Games where the Pacers got screwed playing the Knicks and Bulls in the playoffs. Kings/Lakers in 2002, etc.. This wasn't even close to that. I am not really disagreeing with you but I have seen worse. To me Denver just went cold, they had an 8 point lead in the 4th Qtr, Miami was making everything in the 4th. Guys like Bruce Brown and Porter have been playing like Hall of Famers these whole playoffs and finally they came back down to earth.

I stand by that was the worst "game" I seen ref'd, and when I say game, I mean the complete thing.

Have I seen more egregious moments? Without a doubt, but as a whole, that game took the cake.

Regarding Morant I will predict he gets 41 games. To me that seems appropriate for what he did, that is half a season. Hopefully he gets the help he needs and learns a valuable lesson.

Yeah, probably seems about right.

Hopefully he does finally learn what he is doing isn't ok, because it will probably end up costing him his life, let alone his career.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Like I said it's not all about foul calls.

No calls on this end, touch calls on that end

Who the ball is out of bounce on.

Non called goaltending

Double dribble calls

Non traveling calls

The only thing consistent last night was Miami got all those calls their way.

Miami played good and Denver did some dumb things, fouling on multiple 3ptrs, 2 guys running with 1 leaving guys wide open, missing their switching assignments. That 10pts from Duncan Robinson to start the 4th was brutal. 

Denver couldn't take a timeout at the end being down 3 because it would of given Miami a chance to talk about the situation and take a foul instead of letting them shoot a 3. If that goaltend was called it would've been a 1pt game. Even better take away the phantom 3pt play by Butler, where he flopped, late in the game and it would of been a tie going into the last possession.

Now I do blame Malone for not using his challenge. There was multiple times were he should've, especially that 3pt play by Butler, where he wasn't even touched.

With the inconsistency of NBA refs, teams should have more than 1 challenge, or at least if your challenge is successful you get another one.

I stand by that was the worst "game" I seen ref'd, and when I say game, I mean the complete thing.

Have I seen more egregious moments? Without a doubt, but as a whole, that game took the cake.

Yeah, probably seems about right.

Hopefully he does finally learn what he is doing isn't ok, because it will probably end up costing him his life, let alone his career.

I can't really disagree with much you are saying because I have even stated the REFS can dictate certain plays when the play is close. I 100% agree with you that was a Goal Tend on Bam as well. I just think Denver still beat themselves by doing certain dumb things late in the game. They almost rely on the 3 too much but so does Miami. The key stats was Denver only made 11 3's, Miami made 17. Had Miami shot like 10 more FT's I could buy the REFS being really lousy but Denver even shot more FT's. 

Regarding games, I won't list them (that would take all day) but I can list at least 10 games in the Finals or Conference Finals play over the years where the REFS were worse than last night. IMO, I thought the 2004 Finals was borderline rigged when Detroit beat the Lakers. For that series the FT differential was 141-79 in the 5 games played so that was outrageously obvious that the REFS were on Detroit's side. Detroit won 4-1. The REFS let Detroit get away with everything when defending Kobe and Shaq. 

I see why you think like you do though, I felt like Miami got a few calls so no debate there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

What are the Pacers going to do in the draft.   I hear they have to trade some picks because they do not have the roster space.  I assume they will use the picks to trade for a player.

They are definitely going to have to move/consolidate some.

Ideally we can trade up to #3 and get Miller, or even Scoot.

Ideally Miller though. Scoot and Haliburton could be sick backcourt though

#7, #29, Hield(want win now players), McConnell, Jackson seems like a decent haul for Portland.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding games, I won't list them (that would take all day) but I can list at least 10 games in the Finals or Conference Finals play over the years where the REFS were worse than last night. IMO, I thought the 2004 Finals was borderline rigged when Detroit beat the Lakers. For that series the FT differential was 141-79 in the 5 games played so that was outrageously obvious that the REFS were on Detroit's side. Detroit won 4-1. The REFS let Detroit get away with everything when defending Kobe and Shaq. 

I know you've mentioned the Pacers as well, but I can't use those as examples(Lakers as well) because I find it hard to be objective with those instances as I had a rooting interest.

I don't have one here, as long as it wasn't LeBron, I didn't really care who is was.

Although I like you and many other people can't stand Boston fans.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have Denver winning Game 3. So far I have called the 1st 2 games right. I had Denver in Game 1, Miami in Game 2. We will see if I can keep my streak going. I just have a feeling Denver won't lose 2 in a row. 

To watch, or not to watch? That is the question. Not sure just yet..lol

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Joker 32-21-10, best player in the league and not even close. @Jared Cisneros, 2 more wins but don't be surprised if Miami wins Game 4 - you know how the NBA is lol. I picked Denver in 7 and feel good about it, they have the better team, especially with the way Murray is playing. 

Think I'm going Denver in 5. Took one of the worst games I've seen ref'd to not have this be 3-0 right now.

In case you were wondering? I did tune in last night. It was by accident, but I watched.

Had just been chilling and decided to turn the TV on at like 8:20 or something. Was going to check what was in Hulu for some background noice. My antenna, was already broadcasting ABC (so finals pregame), so I just decided to leave it on. Wasn't even thinking about the game when I turned the TV on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Think I'm going Denver in 5. Took one of the worst games I've seen ref'd to not have this be 3-0 right now.

In case you were wondering? I did tune in last night. It was by accident, but I watched.

Had just been chilling and decided to turn the TV on at like 8:20 or something. Was going to check what was in Hulu for some background noice. My antenna, was already broadcasting ABC (so finals pregame), so I just decided to leave it on. Wasn't even thinking about the game when I turned the TV on. 

Game 4 will be the tell all to me. If Denver is clearly the better team and I think they are, they should win Game 4 and then win in 5. If Miami wins Game 4 then it is anyone's series because at 2-2 anything can happen. Injury, 1 bad game, etc.. 

I had a friend of mine ask me at work last night where do I rank Joker all-time. He knows I do all-time lists a lot. Honestly, I am not sure, I have to wait and see bow this series ends up 1st.

In the Modern era which I call post-merger = ABA and NBA came together in the 1977 season, my top 10 would be:

1. Michael Jordan = 6 Championships, 6 Finals MVP's, 5 League MVP's. 6-0 in Finals. 

2. Magic Johnson = Won Finals MVP as a rookie, still the best accomplishment I have ever seen. 5 Championships overall.

3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - If you go by just since 1977, he would still be 3rd as he has won 5 Championships since that time, 2 League MVP's, and a Finals MVP. He also played against tough legit 7'0 Centers every night. His SkyHook was the most unstoppable shot in NBA history.

4. LeBron James

5. Kobe Bryant

6. Larry Bird

7. Shaq O'Neal

8. Steph Curry

9. Tim Duncan

10. Hakeem Olajuwon

-At this point if Joker does win his championship, who do you kick out of that top 10? Hakeem and Timmy would still have to be ranked higher right? To me Steph Curry changed the game and is the greatest shooter ever + he has won 4 Championships. Then we have had players like Moses Malone, Dwyane Wade, Karl Malone, Isiah Thomas, Dr J, Dirk Nowitzki as well.

Joker is playing like Larry Bird on steroids right now though The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- I have had eye test on all these players which helps my analysis besides accomplishments. 

What's your thoughts on Ja's camp pushing a fake gun narrative?

Think that helps reduce a suspension?

I don't buy the fake gun narrative, but I'm not sure it even really matters. Can't say I blame them for trying to push it, but like I said, not sure it is going to help anything.

Who rolls around with a fake gun anyway, just another good way to get you killed.

Silver told him he shouldn't be posing with a gun like it's a toy after the first incident.

Fake gun would fit with Ja's fake persona though, and just makes him look even worse than he already does 

18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Magic Johnson = Won Finals MVP as a rookie, still the best accomplishment I have ever seen. 5 Championships overall

And played Center at that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, w87r said:

What's your thoughts on Ja's camp pushing a fake gun narrative?

Think that helps reduce a suspension?

I don't buy the fake gun narrative, but I'm not sure it even really matters. Can't say I blame them for trying to push it, but like I said, not sure it is going to help anything.

Who rolls around with a fake gun anyway, just another good way to get you killed.

Silver told him he shouldn't be posing with a gun like it's a toy after the first incident.

Fake gun would fit with Ja's fake persona though, and just makes him look even worse than he already does 

And played Center at that

I will stick with a 41 game suspension. I think that will give Ja time to reflect on what he has done to himself and his teammates. 41 games is half a season, that would put him out until January. During that time he should be ordered to go to counseling at least 3 times a week and should be denied any access to the arena at Memphis. He's rich but 41 games missed is still a lot of money to lose.

• Like 1

Refs taking over in that little stretch of the 4th.

2 ghost calls on Jokic to get his 5th, those were big calls.

Strip by Gordon off Bam leg, shooting foul.

Will say Mike Malone needs to quit holding on to his challenges. Doesn't use them when he should and then ends up leaving game with it in his pocket.

Outside of that little stretch it's been ok.

Like I said Malone needs to use his challenges.

3 hours ago, w87r said:

Refs taking over in that little stretch of the 4th.

2 ghost calls on Jokic to get his 5th, those were big calls.

Strip by Gordon off Bam leg, shooting foul.

Will say Mike Malone needs to quit holding on to his challenges. Doesn't use them when he should and then ends up leaving game with it in his pocket.

Outside of that little stretch it's been ok.

Like I said Malone needs to use his challenges.

Denver just has too much for Miami. They have close to no weaknesses. Gordon had 27 tonight and Brown killed it in the 4th. It seems almost every game they have a different role player that has a career night and Joker and Murray never have a bad game. You can't defend a team that has 4 or 5 role players on any given night that can score 20. Congrats to Denver, it is their year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Denver just has too much for Miami. They have close to no weaknesses. Gordon had 27 tonight and Brown killed it in the 4th. It seems almost every game they have a different role player that has a career night and Joker and Murray never have a bad game. You can't defend a team that has 4 or 5 role players on any given night that can score 20. Congrats to Denver, it is their year.

Nuggets got a bit screwed by the refs tonight, but we won anyway. Have 2 of the 3 remaining games in Denver if needed. Just need 1 game to get my first NBA Championship for the Nuggets. So excited right now! :thmup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Nuggets got a bit screwed by the refs tonight, but we won anyway. Have 2 of the 3 remaining games in Denver if needed. Just need 1 game to get my first NBA Championship for the Nuggets. So excited right now! :thmup:

Denver should wrap this up in 5. They have everyone coming back next year too. Enjoy your Championship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Denver should wrap this up in 5. They have everyone coming back next year too. Enjoy your Championship. 

Thank you. Not counting my chickens until they hatch, but I feel relatively confident. I just want it to be over so I can celebrate now. 

• Like 2

Tyler Herro expected to try and play tonight?

I wasn't thinking they were going to let him come back and mess up the chemistry at this juncture, but being down 3-1 brings everything back into play.

Wonder who's minutes he takes?

Vincent, Strus, Lowery? 

Strus makes the most sense as he has been extra struggling. Definitely going to mess with chemistry, but they need a spark 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, w87r said:

Tyler Herro expected to try and play tonight?

I wasn't thinking they were going to let him come back and mess up the chemistry at this juncture, but being down 3-1 brings everything back into play.

Wonder who's minutes he takes?

Vincent, Strus, Lowery? 

Strus makes the most sense as he has been extra struggling. Definitely going to mess with chemistry, but they need a spark 

Probably Strus. I think Denver wins tonight but everytime it seems like Miami is out of it or done, they pull something out of their rear. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Probably Strus. I think Denver wins tonight but everytime it seems like Miami is out of it or done, they pull something out of their rear. 

Yeah Denver better not play games. Finish the job.

Although in reality this series should've already been over. 

Referee assignment tonight:

https://official.nba.com/referee-assignments/

Had to double check that it wasn't game 2 refs again. It's not.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah Denver better not play games. Finish the job.

Although in reality this series should've already been over. 

Referee assignment tonight:

https://official.nba.com/referee-assignments/

Had to double check that it wasn't game 2 refs again. It's not.

I figured Scott Foster would REF for craps and giggles lmao 

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I figured Scott Foster would REF for craps and giggles lmao 

He was last game, He called the 5th foul on Jokic, when Bam grabbed his arm and flopped. Lol.

He is on the replay center this game.

Speaking of flopping. Saw this video the other day. Made me laugh and cringe at the same time.

The greatest play basketball, not flop around, and they don't need to tell people they're the greatest.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

Check out that video.

Cringe worthy.

I did, I seen LeBron falling when nobody was around him lmao . He is a hard person to rank all-time because when he switched teams and went to Miami in his prime, that alone told me he will never be the GOAT. He flopped a lot back then as well when he played us in the playoffs in 2012-2014. 

I think LeBron is a great player but there have been a few players that have an argument to being better. Jordan and Magic are without doubt in my mind.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I did, I seen LeBron falling when nobody was around him lmao . He is a hard person to rank all-time because when he switched teams and went to Miami in his prime, that alone told me he will never be the GOAT. He flopped a lot back then as well when he played us in the playoffs in 2012-2014. 

I think LeBron is a great player but there have been a few players that have an argument to being better. Jordan and Magic are without doubt in my mind.

Yeah there was a Pacers clip on there on the sidelines.

• Like 1

Bird was never leaving Boston either. He won 3 being the best player. Reggie almost got it done, he gets an A though because he stayed in Indy his whole career. He wanted to beat the best not join them. Reggie could've took the chump way out and joined the Spurs before he retired and got a cheap ring. Spurs wanted him for depth in 2006 and they won it all in 2007.

• Like 1

Okay, back on my trade thoughts

Draft Night(if possible**)

Pacers - #3 , DeAndre Ayton

Blazers - #7, Myles Turner

Suns - #26, #32, Anfernee Simons

**Not 100% sure if Pacers can acquire Ayton on draft night. Just couldn't during this season. I feel like this season is over in regards to traded, as Denver just made a trade a couple days ago.

Really hate getting rid of Turner, but if it can get us a trade up for Miller and we can bring in Ayton to fill the big man void.... Sure seems nice.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, w87r said:

Okay, back on my trade thoughts

Draft Night(if possible**)

Pacers - #3 , DeAndre Ayton

Blazers - #7, Myles Turner

Suns - #26, #32, Anfernee Simons

**Not 100% sure if Pacers can acquire Ayton on draft night. Just couldn't during this season. I feel like this season is over in regards to traded, as Denver just made a trade a couple days ago.

Really hate getting rid of Turner, but if it can get us a trade up for Miller and we can bring in Ayton to feel the big man void.... Sure seems nice.

Yeah if we could add Ayton and Miller and only lose Turner and our #7, that would be ok. Turner has been good here but has never taken that next step to being great. Sometimes as a team you have to move on. Turner has brought us many great moments but has also disappeared in big games.

Miller may be the best player in the draft, I get that 7'5 guy is coming out but that doesn't mean he will be better. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah if we could add Ayton and Miller and only lose Turner and our #7, that would be ok. Turner has been good here but has never taken that next step to being great. Sometimes as a team you have to move on. Turner has brought us many great moments but has also disappeared in big games.

Miller may be the best player in the draft, I get that 7'5 guy is coming out but that doesn't mean he will be better. 

#26 and ,#32 are from us as well

There might need to be more pieces, maybe #29 to Portland as well.

• Like 1

Congrats @Jared Cisneros

They tried to give it to them.

That Jimmy Butler 3pt foul + review uphold is up there with the Larry Johnson 4pt play. Might be worse be they got the chance to review it.

Mind blown when the said play stands.

Nuggets didn't do themselves any favors tonight either, with 10 misses FT, 5-28 from 3 and 14 turnovers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Congrats @Jared Cisneros

They tried to give it to them.

That Jimmy Butler 3pt foul + review uphold is up there with the Larry Johnson 4pt play. Might be worse be they got the chance to review it.

Mind blown when the said play stands.

Nuggets didn't do themselves any favors tonight either, with 10 misses FT, 5-28 from 3 and 14 turnovers.

Thank you. Glad it's over. I thought we were going to lose after the first half and it was going to game 6. Nuggets managed to comeback and finish them off though. I managed to get 64th in a decent sized tourney on draftkings for the final game. Won $6.23. So a bit of extra cash there as well. 

Time to celebrate though. I have now won a championship with all of my sports teams. Feels surreal. 3 in the last 3 years with the Braves, Avalanche, and now the Nuggets. I'm definitely spoiled. Hoping to make it 4 for 4 soon with the Colts. :thmup:

• Like 2