Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Two Big Fish off the Market

Scott Pennock

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That’s your view…. 

I’ve written this for over a month and posters like you have been downplaying this…

The NFL media has been writing this for weeks and you don’t want to believe. 

The deal has now actually happened and you’re STILL in denial.   No one is saying Denver is the new AFC favorite.  But they are dramatically better and have a much better shot at making a deep run.    As a fan, you can’t ask for more.  

The Colts are still trying to build our roster.  We’re not there yet.   Maybe someday soon. 

I never thought Russ was coming here or Rodgers. I'm just questioning why Denver. I actually think Pittsburgh would have been better. Top 3 defense along with young talent at the skill positions.

35 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I never thought Russ was coming here or Rodgers. I'm just questioning why Denver. I actually think Pittsburgh would have been better. Top 3 defense along with young talent at the skill positions.

Russ has a no trade clause.   Maybe he didn’t want to live in Pittsburgh?   Maybe he wanted to stay in the West? 

On 3/8/2022 at 6:55 PM, Scott Pennock said:

No, you are mis-reading what I clearly already stated. We had zero chance at Tome Brady every signing with the Colts. Tampa's offensive skill players were already in the window for contention and their defense was stacked as well. Not too mention "lowering" himself to play for the Colts, his rival for many years,

We also had zero shot at Stafford due to the Lions new GM having drafted Goff. So the Lions wanted a viable starter in return for Stafford PLUS picks.......all we had were picks. Was never gonna happen.

What do we have to offer Seattle for Wilson (who dropped his no-trade clause to go to Denver)? If we kept our picks and didn't trade for Wentz who would we trade them as part of the 3 starting position players given up, plus the 5 draft picks? 

He's not losing his job because both he and Irsay both know Luck's retirement set them back - the fact that we marched out Brissett, an 87 year old Rivers and a mental midget in Wentz the last three years and still have a winning record is a testament to the REST of the decisions Ballard has made with free agency and draft picks. I will restate this point again - since he became the GM there is exactly 1 drafted player not on an NFL Roster  and he was the kid that never had an injury in his life and managed to blow out his knee in mini-camp his rookie season and never recovered.

As I said, since his retirement the only two viable, obtainable QBs were Rivers and Wentz......Go back in the draft or free agency and look at who has been available at the end of the first round and see for yourself. With or without Wentz we were never in the running for Wilson either. 

In hindsight we can complain about the trade for Wentz, but how is a 3rd and a conditional 1st or 2nd an overpay? Yes, he had a down season after 3 pretty good ones and we know how he played for us.......but, I don't think it was an overpay at all for starting caliber QB. Having said that the trade was all about the Reich connection and I don't think Ballard really and truly believed in it. Just me speculating. They rolled the dice and it didn't produce the results they wanted but that does not make it an overpay unless you're judging it in hindsight. H*ll, Russell Wilson can break his leg in 7 spots game two of the season and have to retire - think that trade will be viewed differently in hindsight?  If Matt Stafford didn't win the Superbowl and lost in the first round of the playoffs, would that trade be judged differently? That is why we should never view these in hindsight - at the time it was the best option. It didn't work. Now you looky at new options which is exactly what they are doing because exactly zero front office personnel have stated that Wentz is our starter in 2022. That lack of endorsement tells me they are trying to make a change!

The only year I can think of 2020 draft going up to get Justin Herbert but again that means no Buckner and JT so yeah I would have to say it is not easy being GM

2 hours ago, coltsfan_canada said:

The only year I can think of 2020 draft going up to get Justin Herbert but again that means no Buckner and JT so yeah I would have to say it is not easy being GM

That is as close as it gets.....or Jalen Hurts that year. Damned if you do (Herbert) damned if you don't (Buckner and JT).....tough job indeed....lol

Archived