Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pittman as the new WR1

CR91

Pittman is easily our WR#1 right now, but we need a healthy long term answer at Z. Or even slot. 

I frankly don't care much who is WR1 (X, Z, or slot), but my personal preference is Z. I like the motion Z getting most attention and stretching the field, and when that happens, everyone else benefits. Doesn't mean your X can't get 1000+ too.

Reich really hasn't played much stretch-the-field or defend-ever-inch type of ball. Or at least we haven't seen it much since 18. And even then, not a ton. We saw a little here and there, and more vs SF, but overall it's just been not part of the O. It's been more possession O and bully ball. Is that a product of who the QB is, or WR health, probably a bit of both. But still not sure we'll ever see a lot of high flying stuff from him even if we did have a healthy speed option. We have a QB with a strong arm now. But we're short on deep speed guys (some of the time). 

At the end of the day, we need a legit speed option at Z or traditional slot. The guys that fit that mold are TY (aging, can't stay on field), Campbell (can't stay on the field), Coutee (another one with mixed healthy history), and super tiny and raw, but really fast Demichael Harris. You could run Patmon (he has decent not elite speed) at Z or slot, but he's not really prototypical. 

And... TY was easily a #1 WR. He had a great blend of speed, but could also be very successful running possession routes. He was tremendous at one cut stuff and was good at catching contested balls. Now some of that is because of his speed/agility, but it's largely due also to his route running and hands. 

And Granson... He's not a prototypical TE. He's more in the mold of a hybrid TE/HB/big-slot. He was used in college as a detached vertical threat more WR than TE. So far we've seen him take mostly big-slot type targets like Burton, which many expected. It's a change from his college game, but he's got decent traits so perhaps he can pull it off. Overall though, seems more bully-slot is his future, not really traditional TE.

Archived