Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

fast starts

CurBeatElite

In 4 games we have scored a TD on our first offensive possession 3 times (the exception being against Minnesota when an interception was thrown inside MIN's 10 yard line - the pass which bounced off MAC - we scored a TD on our second possession that game).  In context, we only scored a TD on our first O possession 6 times all of last year or in 2018 (so we're halfway to that number with 3/4 of the season left).  

I think this is a very helpful thing to be good at. We all know Luck was a comeback master, but it's not always fun to rely on comebacks.  Rivers has been very accurate this season, especially on opening drives.  He also spreads the ball out a lot.  Opening fast does two critical things for us: (1) it keeps the opposing D off-balance, especially when we're having success running and passing that early and spreading the ball around, and (2) early leads help make the opposing O more predictable.  It'd be nice to get out to 14- or 21-0 leads (or 14- or 21-3 leads), because at that point, it really makes the opponent consider going one-dimensional with a passing attack early in the game, which in turn allows for us to turn up the pass rush and likely increases the LBs and DBs ability to create turnovers.

Anyway, I was pretty used to slow starts during the Pagano era and the first 2 years of the Reich era... but hopefully we keep up the fast starts on O.  I really think it plays a huge role in setting the tempo for the entire game.  I believe Reich said last year that he and Sirianni know every play they want to call in order on the first drive of the game and then they adjust plays accordingly throughout the remainder of the game.  If that's true, it shows that they're doing a very good job with early play calling and Rivers and Co. are executing well.  

The offense looks incredibly sharp on their first drive of each game, aside from a couple penalties yesterday. 

They often come out looking like they can move the ball at will. 

This tells me that when they call good plays, and the offense has perfected those plays in practice, the offense can be very dangerous.  

Good observation.  And I agree that scoring early and getting ahead sets us up for the kind of game we want to play.  Milking a lead all game may not be pretty, but it's a safe way to secure wins when the defense is dominating.

There will be games in the near future with a different script, and I expect to see more explosive play-calling on offense.

24 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

Good observation.  And I agree that scoring early and getting ahead sets us up for the kind of game we want to play.  Milking a lead all game may not be pretty, but it's a safe way to secure wins when the defense is dominating.

There will be games in the near future with a different script, and I expect to see more explosive play-calling on offense.

Undoubtedly we'll have some games where we'll need to open the offensive playbook up a bit more.  Rivers has shown he still has a strong arm and can hit deep passes.  Still hoping we can continue to get off to fast starts, as you said it 'sets us up for the kind of game we want to play.'

Archived