Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Daniel Jeremiah on Penny Hart

James

On 5/7/2019 at 3:59 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Outside of Austin Blythe, I don't recall many other instances of this happening.

Also Shipley and Francois.  Someone else mentioned Hughes.  There's more that have shown up on teams around the league, but I think all those guys are/were starters on other teams.  I recall the heated discussions about Shipley being a significant upgrade over that UDFA guy Grigson had starting at Center (I think a guy out of Fla or Fla St.) plus another terrible guy he had also brought in as the initial starter.  There was a great deal of internal chatter about him playing favorites with players who did not earn it on the field as well as serious strife with Pagano (which turned out unquestionably true) and I recall many people were so pro-Grigson that they attacked anyone who questioned his judgement and called the reports of problems with Grigson/Pagano nonsense.  Of course in hindsight it doesn't seem difficult to believe the chatter.  I quoted an insider I know who was there daily at the time and it appears everything he shared was true.  But some people just refused to think he didn't walk on water as a GM.  Fanboys aside, many of those linemen were egregiously poor and contributed to Luck's injuries.  It seemed pretty obvious to the majority of fans and media alike that he was doing a terrible job protecting Luck.  It wasn't like all those players were world beaters, but in some cases, they were WAY better than Grigson's favorites.  Shipley might have been a 7 of 10, but he was much better than the 3 of 10 he put in his place leaving Shipley on the bench for no apparent reason even though his performances were some of the highest rated in the league in the games he started and his replacement near the bottom.  I hope Pagano can regain his success as a coordinator in Chicago which seems to be more in his lane than being head coach.  But Grigson didn't do him many favors with the poor picks and FA choices he made.