Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Former Colt is highest rated guard in the league after 3 weeks

Steamboat_Shaun

1 minute ago, K-148 said:

They are pretty accurate, but sometimes misleading: reader has to know whom lineman was playing. PFF doesn't increase score because of strong opponent, nor it decrease because of weak one. At the end of a season, when all games are played and all opponents, bad or great, were met, PFF is at it's best.

I completely disagree that they are pretty accurate.  PFF has no idea of the lineman's responsibility.  When you hear a QB call out a number ( a lot of times it will be something like "55 is Mike") that changes the blocking assignments.  How does it change it?  I have no idea and neither does PFF.  A good example is, let's say a guard stays in his box and blocks the DT coming into his area and let's say the tackle comes down and doubles the DT but the DE comes in and blows up the play in the backfield.  PFF counts that as a win for the guard and a loss for the tackle.  But what if the tackle was supposed to crash down and get the DT and the guard was supposed to slide out at get the DE?

4 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

If Grigson cut him, it's because he sucked.

If Ballard cut him, it was for a very valid reason, like "he didn't fit our scheme" or something.

You're implying a double standard at work in order to validate an invested position.  How dare you.

15 minutes ago, #12. said:

I read through all the Blythe threads I could find.  Only one person, Valpo, thought he could play guard, and only one person, Mr. Irrelevant, was surprised or took note of it when he was released.

Just shows how little fans know, and GMs for that matter.  Sometimes luck, good and bad, has as much to do with it as anything.

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I completely disagree that they are pretty accurate.  PFF has no idea of the lineman's responsibility.  When you hear a QB call out a number ( a lot of times it will be something like "55 is Mike") that changes the blocking assignments.  How does it change it?  I have no idea and neither does PFF.  A good example is, let's say a guard stays in his box and blocks the DT coming into his area and let's say the tackle comes down and doubles the DT but the DE comes in and blows up the play in the backfield.  PFF counts that as a win for the guard and a loss for the tackle.  But what if the tackle was supposed to crash down and get the DT and the guard was supposed to slide out at get the DE?

Not sure, but it could be done in two ways.

First: just admit there is some kind of energy conversion efficiency. You don't stop using car because your engine has ece about 40%, right? So they can go wrong and still be a best way to grade.

Second: do not grade intention (blocking assignments), grade execution and outcome. Just like in figure skating. If athlete has made 3 points jump instead of 4 points jump he wouldn't be penalized, he would get only 3 points.