Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New fantasy football league idea- Vampire

Narcosys

Saw an interesting idea called a vampire league.

Twelve team ppr league, one team is the vampire.

How it works.

11 teams snake draft like normal, while the vampire team does not. Once the draft is complete the vampire makes a team out of the remainders on the waiver wire. 

The catch: The 11 teams that drafted can neither trade nor pick up from waivers. 

If the vampire team beats another team, he gets to trade one of his starters for one of the other teams starters...and you have no say in who (Like positions).

I think this could be pretty fun, maybe use it for your last minute league.

• 2 months later...
On 8/29/2018 at 1:42 PM, Narcosys said:

Saw an interesting idea called a vampire league.

Twelve team ppr league, one team is the vampire.

How it works.

11 teams snake draft like normal, while the vampire team does not. Once the draft is complete the vampire makes a team out of the remainders on the waiver wire. 

The catch: The 11 teams that drafted can neither trade nor pick up from waivers. 

If the vampire team beats another team, he gets to trade one of his starters for one of the other teams starters...and you have no say in who (Like positions).

I think this could be pretty fun, maybe use it for your last minute league.

This definitely sounds like a fun idea. Not sure how many GMs that have several Rams or Chiefs players would agree to Mahomes or Todd Gurley being poached because they lost on a bye week, LOL. :) 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:41 PM, chad72 said:

This definitely sounds like a fun idea. Not sure how many GMs that have several Rams or Chiefs players would agree to Mahomes or Todd Gurley being poached because they lost on a bye week, LOL. :) 

The Vampire can only take someone who was an active player, not benched, during the matchup. 

So a person can actually, if they think they are going to lose, can bench certain players to prevent them from getting taken.

1 hour ago, Narcosys said:

The Vampire can only take someone who was an active player, not benched, during the matchup. 

So a person can actually, if they think they are going to lose, can bench certain players to prevent them from getting taken.

I really don't like the idea of the league, the more I am finding about it. It places too many things out of your control w.r.t your roster make up. It is hard enough to deal with variables related to player performance. It makes it worse with other GMs poaching your players that you invested time and strategy into drafting.

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I really don't like the idea of the league, the more I am finding about it. It places too many things out of your control w.r.t your roster make up. It is hard enough to deal with variables related to player performance. It makes it worse with other GMs poaching your players that you invested time and strategy into drafting.

Lol, that's the point. The Vampire doesn't get the luxury of drafting anyone, leaving more valuable players to everyone else to have better teams and depth.

14 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

I feel like the vampire team would win the league every year. Like in my league Connor, Phillip Lindsay, Goff, Tyler Boyd, and bears defense were all undrafted. Those guys alone would win you a few games and by week 10 your team would be unbeatable due to poached players.

Not if the other players are smart. The technique of benching valuable players during a projected loss, may give the vampire the win, but come playoff time, they can still be stuck with a 2nd string team. But yes, the Vampire can build up and have a strong team at the end of the season. Since its a new idea, I'm not sure how it plays out. But you don't always have people like Connor and Goff go undrafted, more often not the waivers only have a few good players but can be inconsistent.

33 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Not if the other players are smart. The technique of benching valuable players during a projected loss, may give the vampire the win, but come playoff time, they can still be stuck with a 2nd string team. But yes, the Vampire can build up and have a strong team at the end of the season. Since its a new idea, I'm not sure how it plays out. But you don't always have people like Connor and Goff go undrafted, more often not the waivers only have a few good players but can be inconsistent.

I don’t think this year is abnormal with good FAs. Every year you can get a top 5 QB off waivers. Last year Wentz & Watson. the year before that MVP Matt Ryan... this year Goff and Trubisky. And there are always breakout RBs. I remember picking up Devonta Freeman, Jay Ajayi, David Johnson and Jordan Howard off waivers during their breakout years. Heck last year I picked up Kamara. I really believe that playing the waivers/trades is equally important as the draft.

but if everyone benched their solid to good players when they play you so you couldn’t poach anyone worth anything then you’d win almost every game in the regular season. But then you’d have teams who are borderline playoff teams who will risk it and end up losing their stars to you. 

Id like to see a league play out, but I’d be willing to bet the vampire teams would win the majority of leagues

3 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

I don’t think this year is abnormal with good FAs. Every year you can get a top 5 QB off waivers. Last year Wentz & Watson. the year before that MVP Matt Ryan... this year Goff and Trubisky. And there are always breakout RBs. I remember picking up Devonta Freeman, Jay Ajayi, David Johnson and Jordan Howard off waivers during their breakout years. Heck last year I picked up Kamara. I really believe that playing the waivers/trades is equally important as the draft.

but if everyone benched their solid to good players when they play you so you couldn’t poach anyone worth anything then you’d win almost every game in the regular season. But then you’d have teams who are borderline playoff teams who will risk it and end up losing their stars to you. 

Id like to see a league play out, but I’d be willing to bet the vampire teams would win the majority of leagues

Well after the trade deadline time, or even the end of the season if you want to stretch it, the Vampire wouldn't be able to take players during the playoffs. This is because the Vampire's focus is during the season only and would be wholly unfair. Leaving the possibility of a "gimme" matchup in the playoffs versus a win inflated team.