Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard: What if hypothetical

Crunked

On 7/22/2018 at 10:35 AM, LockeDown said:

I’m a Ballard truster.  With my favorite baseball team, the St. Louis Cardinals, im a Let it play outer because I didn’t have full confidence Metheny was going to be the next great manager and the FO just agreed with me.  With Ballard, I trust him more and more with every decision he makes. Confident without being cocky. A good deal maker (jets deals),. Gets guys on good contracts. Has a plan B when things go wrong.  Build inside out approach which most gurus admit is smart.  Wants to build strong team around Luck to takes pressure off.  Has a plan and vision he has seen work in his NFL experience.    Just one thing after another garners my trust.  I can accept letting it play out, but I can’t accept the Dump Ballard now movement.  Personally, I think those people are trolls. 

Those people just think he should do what they think he should do and not what really should be done. Ballard knows what he's doing. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 12:18 PM, Smonroe said:

I’m surprised there’s a ‘fire Ballard now’ crowd.  I would ignore them anyway, they’re obviously ridiculous.  

We we should all be in the ‘we’ll see but so far, pretty darn good’ crowd.  Only time will tell.  

TBH, I’m more concerned about Reich.  

Can you share what or why you’re concerned about Reich?    Is it just because he’s a first time HC?

Or is it something he has said or done?

Just curious.    Thanks.

5 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

The biggest difference I’ve noticed with Ballard vs Grigson is humility and the sense that he sees himself as part of the solution. 

Even though Grigson did well, he seemed to be dripping with arrogance. At the time, I don’t know if was anything he said per se, just an observation. 

Having said that, I’m sure there have been plenty of successful GMs that were pretty arrogant. 

There have been some players let go ( Mingo, Melvin) that were a bit of a head scratcher but despite all we’ve been through as Colts’ fans, I’m glad we’ve got Ballard/ Reich. 

You listen to Pac McAfee talk about Grigson... and then watch Ballard on his show. You see how fast Adam V signs with Ballard versus the difficulty that Grigson game him in his negotiations (how is that even a difficult signing?) You hear what former colleagues say about Grigson (surprised he got a GM job) versus seemingly everyone that Ballard ever work with praise him with the utmost respect. You see how approachable Ballard is to the media and respectful towards athletes. We all saw the difference in how each of them worked with Pagano. There is no question the difference in character and respect across the league in the two executives. 

I'm a big believer in some things working out for the best. I believe the timing in letting go of Grigson was the greatest thing that happened to this organization. Whether Ballard's teams win a championship, or even match the W's that Grigson's career here brought, or not, he is a better and more respectable General Manager on so many different levels. Winning is the ultimate goal in the National Football League, but everything else is important as well. Ballard is top notch in how he conducts himself and how he handles business. Without a doubt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2018 at 11:40 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am ProBallard. You have to give a GM at least 3 seasons to prove himself. If we suck next year then we have a problem, I say next year not this upcoming year.

Chris should get a mulligan for his 1st season due to the lame-duck status of Pagano and his staff along with their failed concepts.  However, his 1st draft definitely counts.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Can you share what or why you’re concerned about Reich?    Is it just because he’s a first time HC?

Just curious.    Thanks.

I can't speak for Smonroe, but I'll tell you my concerns about Reich. 1.) He has 0 sample size as a head coach so far. I buy into his philosophy, and the Eagles won a SB with him, but I guess I'm one of those guys who needs to see it to believe it. 2.) There was little to no interest in him as a head coaching candidate before we showed it after the Josh McDaniels fiasco. In fact, I don't remember any other team showing interest in him besides us. That's sort of a red flag to me. I don't think he has character concerns, but I think there may be reasons we don't know about that he didn't get hardly any interest (if any) by 31 other teams before McDaniels didn't work out with us, and finally, only interest with us afterward. Something could happen where he had some baggage the other FO's knew about that the fans didn't, and it shows during our first season. 

I'm just speculating, and it's all my opinion, but it's something to keep in mind.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just curious.    Thanks.

A lot of what @Jared Cisneros said in his post - I didn't mean anything derogatory,  I'm just not sure what we're getting.  I had the same concerns with Chuck.  As we all know, especially people like you who've been in the media, coach speak is meaningless.  We won't know his real philosophy until the rubber hits the proverbial road.

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I can't speak for Smonroe, but I'll tell you my concerns about Reich. 1.) He has 0 sample size as a head coach so far. I buy into his philosophy, and the Eagles won a SB with him, but I guess I'm one of those guys who needs to see it to believe it. 2.) There was little to no interest in him as a head coaching candidate before we showed it after the Josh McDaniels fiasco. In fact, I don't remember any other team showing interest in him besides us. That's sort of a red flag to me. I don't think he has character concerns, but I think there may be reasons we don't know about that he didn't get hardly any interest (if any) by 31 other teams before McDaniels didn't work out with us, and finally, only interest with us afterward. Something could happen where he had some baggage the other FO's knew about that the fans didn't, and it shows during our first season. 

I'm just speculating, and it's all my opinion, but it's something to keep in mind.

I'm pretty sure Reich had interest but didn't want to meet or speak with any teams until after the Super Bowl, essentially taking himself out of the running for any available openings.  I like his commitment.

8 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Bills were interested... that's at least one team. But as @Clem-Dog said, most teams don't want to wait on a guy who refuses to speak with teams until after the first week of February. He wasn't expecting to be a hot commodity this season, the super bowl run with Foles made him one... he would be a front-runner if not the top guy going into this season had he stayed in Philly. 

Today's NFL doesn't give two craps about head coaching sample sizes. One of the brightest minds in football is 32 years old and had a full 2 years of experience as an offensive coordinator. No one cares about recycling head coaches that had mediocre careers as HC.