Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saints Use Franchise Tag

Moncrief

I seen it on a different site but I don't know the numbers.

I guess he wanted an extra 5 mil per year or something like that.

Same $90 mil. for 5 years like Peyton. Same $23 mil. for first 3 years was the demand from Tom Condon, like Peyton's. The only difference is the Saints did not want to give more than $18 mil. per year for first 3 years and we all know contracts are not guaranteed, so they wanted the money up front in the first 3 years given that Brees is healthier than Peyton. That is the $5 mil. per year they are talking about, that would be my educated guess since all the other numbers match up to Peyton's.

Just based on that, there is no way Tom Condon wants to restructure that $28 mil. bonus considerably next week. So, bye bye Peyton it is, for Colts fans, in all likelihood.

Historically no, but right now? Id say he is.

After the first three years of that deal he would be the same age as Manning is right now. Saints should pay the man.

Definitely. He makes that offense go and he is very loved by the fans and the community. Upsetting him wouldn't sit well with the fans

If what Chad72 is presenting is true I do not blame Brees for turning down the contract. This is not the NBA or MLB where the contracts are guaranteed. This is Brees's last big contract and he has seen how Irsay has pretty much just moved on from Manning so I am sure he thinks the Saints will kick him to the curb just as easily.

I do not know how you do not get a contract done with Brees. Brees helped uplift that city after Katrina and has been a tremendous citizen for that city. Like Manning his worth is just not on the football field. His worth extends off the field and into the city. Like Manning he is the key to that team and without them they would still be known as the Saints.

This is Brees's last big contract and he has seen how Irsay has pretty much just moved on from Manning so I am sure he thinks the Saints will kick him to the curb just as easily.

Sean Payton does seem like that kind of guy, someone who will have no qualms about kicking someone to the curb to me once his utility value is done :). He seems like the kind of guy that will feed the puppy and turn around and kick it :).

A new Darth Vader is born, Sean Payton, I say :).

Just based on that, there is no way Tom Condon wants to restructure that $28 mil. bonus considerably next week. So, bye bye Peyton it is, for Colts fans, in all likelihood.

I don't see how one relates to the other. I really think that if Manning and Irsay decide to work something out so Manning can stay for a couple years, Condon won't have very much influence over that negotiation.

I don't see how one relates to the other. I really think that if Manning and Irsay decide to work something out so Manning can stay for a couple years, Condon won't have very much influence over that negotiation.

If Condon has his weight before Manning and Irsay sit down together, and Manning is deemed healthy, I was guessing what Condon's advice would be. Not that Peyton has to abide by it but I am fearing the worst, and hope to be pleasantly surprised. :)

Same $90 mil. for 5 years like Peyton. Same $23 mil. for first 3 years was the demand from Tom Condon, like Peyton's. The only difference is the Saints did not want to give more than $18 mil. per year for first 3 years and we all know contracts are not guaranteed, so they wanted the money up front in the first 3 years given that Brees is healthier than Peyton. That is the $5 mil. per year they are talking about, that would be my educated guess since all the other numbers match up to Peyton's.

I guess most of us did call it, didn't we? :(

Condon is not having a good week, IMO. Brees gets franchise tagged and Peyton gets let go.

Now, RGIII's trade value just dropped a tad, IMO. :)