Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard’s silence

indyblue

Just now, aaron11 said:

the south was bad for all three of them

somebody went 2-14 each time and there was a 3-13 and 4-13 in there too

There were no AFC teams in the playoffs besides the Colts were there?

This nonsense of division teams is exactly that. Does anyone bring up the AFC east when talking about the Pats?

Just now, aaron11 said:

yes, all the time

i read and post on espn and nfl.com and that is a very common post 

I don't read espn or nfl.com. so I wouldn't know.

This age old excuse for division records mean exactly zero. Every division in the NFL has their weaknesses in division play.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Not a defense of Grigson, but the team going to the playoffs right away undercut his ability to rebuild the roster through the draft. You take over a bad team and cut a bunch of dead weight, you expect to pick high in the draft for another couple years. He got one top ten pick, and had to use it on a QB.

Again, not defending him; he messed up his other picks, and if he had drafted better even with his low draft position, he still could have restocked the roster. Just pointing out that he had a tough situation to deal with himself.

I think winning right away gave him overconfidence more than it undercut him.  Just my opinion, but I think winning early was the worst thing for this franchise.  

45 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

I think winning right away gave him overconfidence more than it undercut him.  Just my opinion, but I think winning early was the worst thing for this franchise.  

Yeah, it made them think they were closer than they really were. But the only move Grigson made that somewhat sacrificed future standing was Richardson, and that was for a second year player that they thought would be a foundational piece. 

The real mistakes were the draft misses, starting with Werner.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

I think he had a strong first year. His second year was awful. And I say that with the benefit of hindsight, so it's inherently unfair, but bottom line, look back and his moves in 2013 and they were almost all poor decisions.

The draft was a bust, from Werner to Williams, and everyone in between, for various reasons. Free agency, pretty much just Erik Walden, who was basically average. Sizable contracts for Cherilus and Landry, and neither of them made it to Year 3, and several other guys who were, at best, nondescript for the Colts. And then, the cherry on top, trading a first rounder for one of the biggest draft busts of the last decade, Trent Richardson.

Those problems festered for a couple years, and by the time the dust settled, it was determined that Grigson was a terrible GM who needed to be exiled. I was never to that extreme with him, and still am not, but 2013 was not defensible, regardless of the way the team performed. 

In hindsight* how the Dwight Freeney situation was handled should've been a big red flag.. it made little to no sense. Other than that, the 2012 offseason was pretty damn good but the whole Freeney situation, from not restructuring/cutting him to not making even an offer for him an year later was some major incompetence,

* For me because I didn't understand much about how the salary cap worked back then.