Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Inside The Mind Of Team Luck

Jules

Of course I am not truly in the mind of them nor have an inside source.

I am also aware of what Luck has said at times about learning from Peyton.

But, be honest with yourselves.

You are Luck. You are Luck's dad. Luck's agent. His barber. Now you are the best college QB prospect since Elway right? You are apparently NFL ready and ready to selected first in the draft.

Why in the world would you sit on the bench for more then a year at most? Why?

No, this is not like Rodgers to me. Rodgers was not even the clear first pick in the draft. Rodgers was actually a value pick for the Packers where they got him. Rodgers did not have as much of a choice.

Luck does.

If Peyton stays and is cleared and you get the feeling he will start for years.....why would you come to Indy?

Learning from PM is the dream scenario many say. Then again ask Favre how much a starting legend of his own team wants to play mentor for a young QB when he wishes deep down that his team spent the pick on a player to help win now.

By all means from what we have heard......Irsay is going to spend the first pick on a QB and it's likely Luck. If you take RG3 I firmly believe that will be a huge huge mistake.

But, I still can't grasp my mind around having both Luck/Peyton. I just can't. Going back to Archie's initial stage dad comments last season......it does not fit well in my gut.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course I am not truly in the mind of them nor have an inside source.

I am also aware of what Luck has said at times about learning from Peyton.

But, be honest with yourselves.

You are Luck. You are Luck's dad. Luck's agent. His barber. Now you are the best college QB prospect since Elway right? You are apparently NFL ready and ready to selected first in the draft.

Why in the world would you sit on the bench for more then a year at most? Why?

No, this is not like Rodgers to me. Rodgers was not even the clear first pick in the draft. Rodgers was actually a value pick for the Packers where they got him. Rodgers did not have as much of a choice.

Luck does.

If Peyton stays and is cleared and you get the feeling he will start for years.....why would you come to Indy?

Learning from PM is the dream scenario many say. Then again ask Favre how much a starting legend of his own team wants to play mentor for a young QB when he wishes deep down that his team spent the pick on a player to help win now.

By all means from what we have heard......Irsay is going to spend the first pick on a QB and it's likely Luck. If you take RG3 I firmly believe that will be a huge huge mistake.

But, I still can't grasp my mind around having both Luck/Peyton. I just can't. Going back to Archie's initial stage dad comments last season......it does not fit well in my gut.

Misleading title.

Just seems hard for me to believe.

Luck sitting on the bench for a while. I just can't fathom this situation.

It seems like he is going to want to go to a team (and so will Team Luck) where he can get his feet wet early.

And then Arians also made the comments about rookie QBs should play. They make mistakes, but are better off playing.

Team Luck will wait and see what happens with PM and Irsay before March 8.

They have no guarantee that the Colts will pick him with the #1 overall pick. Irsay and Grigson may pick RG3 (I think it would be a mistake too, but that's my opinion).

They have no idea if PM comes back from his injury, how long he may last. Afterall, he will be 36 years old this upcoming season.

I think many things have to get clearer, before they consider offering up an Eli gambit to the Colts.

And who knows in the meantime, if Team Luck will be swayed to pursue the Eli gambit when they see ardent Peyton fans express their disrespect by purchasing and wearing their "Who needs Luck when we have Manning" t-shirts.

Team Luck will wait and see what happens with PM and Irsay before March 8.

They have no guarantee that the Colts will pick him with the #1 overall pick. Irsay and Grigson may pick RG3 (I think it would be a mistake too, but that's my opinion).

They have no idea if PM comes back from his injury, how long he may last. Afterall, he will be 36 years old this upcoming season.

I think many things have to get clearer, before they consider offering up an Eli gambit to the Colts.

And who knows in the meantime, if Team Luck will be swayed to pursue the Eli gambit when they see ardent Peyton fans express their disrespect by purchasing and wearing their "Who needs Luck when we have Manning" t-shirts.

I seriously hope our fanbase (mainly the Peyton fan boys) does not act like the Favre fans initially did. Rodgers getting booed and getting hate mail is beyond childish. How much QB worship do we need?! There is even a Favre forum out there where all they do STILL is pick on Rodgers and the current Packers whenever they mess up. Ridiculous.

Yes, there are many questions yet to be answered.

I am not high on RG3 at all and want no part of him. If he is the one I would deal with it but then again I still don't see the situation of Luck sitting happily on the bench for years working either. But, like you said with Manning there is no promise he even lasts.

I seriously hope our fanbase (mainly the Peyton fan boys) does not act like the Favre fans initially did. Rodgers getting booed and getting hate mail is beyond childish. How much QB worship do we need?! There is even a Favre forum out there where all they do STILL is pick on Rodgers and the current Packers whenever they mess up. Ridiculous.

I am not high on RG3 at all and want no part of him. If he is the one I would deal with it but then again I still don't see the situation of Luck sitting happily on the bench for years working either. But, like you said with Manning there is no promise he even lasts.

If the Colts draft Luck, I see Luck working hard to absorb the playbook, and demonstrating in practice his abilities to the coaches, and will make it very hard for them to decide to start PM, if PM is anything less than his top form.

I think PM is a competitor, and Luck, in this respect, is very much like him.

Luck will not be happy to sit. He wants to start every game, as should anyone I draft, especially with the #1 overall pick.

If the Colts draft Luck, I see Luck working hard to absorb the playbook, and demonstrating in practice his abilities to the coaches, and will make it very hard for them to decide to start PM, if PM is anything less than his top form.

I think PM is a competitor, and Luck, in this respect, is very much like him.

Luck will not be happy to sit. He wants to start every game, as should anyone I draft, especially with the #1 overall pick.

Yep.

And many fans love the idea of having Luck learn behind Manning for a while. But, what makes people think this fairy tale is going to work smoothly?

Of course Luck or RG3 might say the right things. RG3 has even said he would happily sit behind Peyton but of course he would. He would say anything to be the first pick. And honestly I WANT the guy who wants to play.

Team Luck is in the drivers seat come draft time and they are all waiting here as well.

I STILL don't truly feel this is going to work out as many fans hope. I just don't. Sorry.

I almost feel like you have to choose. You choose to go into a new direction with Luck and completely rebuild this thing. Or, you just go with Manning and keep your fingers crossed he can stay healthy and return to a high level and the team has more shots in the playoffs under him.

Either way IMO it's a gamble.

Thoroughbreds need to run...simple as that. I appreciate what PM did but the time for change is now, imo.

Well TBH I think too many are blinded by the idea of the past too. You throw Peyton back out there and presto.....10+ wins and more shots in the playoffs.

What if with Peyton we don't even make the playoffs and watch Houston win the division and then we are stuck?

This team has a new coaching staff, gm and may even lose a few more valued veterans. How do we even know this still can be a legit contending team? We DON'T know.

Let's all be realistic here a bit too and put away our emotions.

Team Luck will start making noice once Manning restructures his contract and comes back. They will then pull an Eli and ask not to be drafted by the Colts. It's coming so Browms fans get rdy your going to be making a deal to acquire Luck very soon.

Then our future is out the window if this all happens.

*sigh*

This all could end very badly. Very badly.

Yep.

And many fans love the idea of having Luck learn behind Manning for a while. But, what makes people think this fairy tale is going to work smoothly?

Of course Luck or RG3 might say the right things. RG3 has even said he would happily sit behind Peyton but of course he would. He would say anything to be the first pick. And honestly I WANT the guy who wants to play.

Team Luck is in the drivers seat come draft time and they are all waiting here as well.

I STILL don't truly feel this is going to work out as many fans hope. I just don't. Sorry.

I almost feel like you have to choose. You choose to go into a new direction with Luck and completely rebuild this thing. Or, you just go with Manning and keep your fingers crossed he can stay healthy and return to a high level and the team has more shots in the playoffs under him.

Either way IMO it's a gamble.

I don't see PM mentoring anyone if he is an active QB on the roster.

He did not mentor either Painter or Sorgi, or Orlovsky.

Just like Favre did not mentor Rodgers.

It isn't their jobs.

It is up to the QB coach, and the OC and HC to coach up rookie QBs.

I agree that eventually you will have to transition to a new QB. And it is generally always better to do it before the incumbent QB declines in performance. Te Colts may be at that point now given the coalescing of these factors:

1) incumbent QB will be 36 years old

2) incumbent QB will be recovering from 3 neck surgeries

3) incumbent QB will not have played a single down in a year

4) in-coming QB is very highly rated by consensus, and has been heralded as the best QB prospect since the incumbent, or even Elway.

5) in-coming QB is highly competitive and wants to start right away similar to how the incumbent QB was when he was a rookie.

6) owner of the team has termed this upcoming season as a rebuilding year for the team.

Team Luck will start making noice once Manning restructures his contract and comes back. They will then pull an Eli and ask not to be drafted by the Colts. It's coming so Browms fans get rdy your going to be making a deal to acquire Luck very soon.

Yes, this is a possibility.

And what gets me upset is that they may be spurred to do the Eli gambit at the behest of Peyton fans.

If this happens, I find it odd, but ironic that Peyton fans do something that ultimately hurt the Colts.

Then our future is out the window if this all happens.

*sigh*

This all could end very badly. Very badly.

Why is our future messed up. You can still draft a QB in the next 3 to 4 years to develop just like Rodgers did. Your future is actually better because your going to get numerous picks which will allow you to rebuild. 2012 4th overall and 22nd overall, The 2nd overall in the 2nd round plus Clev's. then you get there 2013 1st rounder and possible get them to throw in a player. To me thats a lot of future. There will be a other QB's coming out in the next 4 years to draft. USC has a pretty good guy coming out and whats to say the Browns dont tank and you get a chance at him. Our future never looked so good! Houston had a pretty good QB that could be developed, just saying. Never put your eggs in one basket.

Why is our future messed up. You can still draft a QB in the next 3 to 4 years to develop just like Rodgers did. Your future is actually better because your going to get numerous picks which will allow you to rebuild. 2012 4th overall and 22nd overall, The 2nd overall in the 2nd round plus Clev's. then you get there 2013 1st rounder and possible get them to throw in a player. To me thats a lot of future. There will be a other QB's coming out in the next 4 years to draft. USC has a pretty good guy coming out and whats to say the Browns dont tank and you get a chance at him. Our future never looked so good! Houston had a pretty good QB that could be developed, just saying. Never put your eggs in one basket.

Do you really think the best QB prospect since PM or Elway comes around every draft?

If you do, please identify the QBs in past drafts that were as highly rated by the scouts as Luck.

I follow Mel Kiper, and the last QB prospect he rated as high or higher than he rates Luck was John Elway in 1983.

Do you really think the best QB prospect since PM or Elway comes around every draft?

If you do, please identify the QBs in past drafts that were as highly rated by the scouts as Luck.

I follow Mel Kiper, and the last QB prospect he rated as high or higher than he rates Luck was John Elway in 1983.

Just cause you have a great QB doesn't mean your going to win SB's. Marino - 0, Elway didn't until the end of his career, took the greatest one ever, till year 9 to get there, Manning. Just by drafting Luck, equates to nothing. We could have just as easily taken Leaf over Manning then where would have been. Drafting Luck will mean total rebuilding and he has no supporting cast to help him. Wayne won't stay, no running game equates to years of loosing. We go back to the Jeff George years and win nothing.

Just cause you have a great QB doesn't mean your going to win SB's. Marino - 0, Elway didn't until the end of his career, took the greatest one ever, till year 9 to get there, Manning. Just by drafting Luck, equates to nothing. We could have just as easily taken Leaf over Manning then where would have been. Drafting Luck will mean total rebuilding and he has no supporting cast to help him. Wayne won't stay, no running game equates to years of loosing. We go back to the Jeff George years and win nothing.

So what makes some here (not saying you) actually believe this team is going to win another title even WITH Manning if it was so difficult just to win one with the great Tony Dungy as our head coach and all the pieces here.

What does Manning even gain by staying with the Colts? What do the Colts gain by paying him a lot of money?

The team hit rock bottom last year and was declining in 2010 IMO including Manning in some of his games.

A lot of this makes NO sense to me.

I hope Irsay does the right thing in the end for his business.

I wish I shared the same optimistic views you do. I just don't.

You take Luck and throw him to the wolves and I say he gets hurt and never develops into the great player he was projected to be. Sure Luck is probable the real deal but I just think you can pass on him and build a much stronger team going forward by getting the picks he could bring. This team needs a lot more than one player right now and Manning, if healthy, gives you the best opportunity to keep winning. Polian admited he failed at getting an adquate backup, now you have a new front office and other players can be drafted to be developed. As much as I hate to say it, the Pats got a pretty good guy in the 6th round who wasnt graded very high by Mel Kiper and he turned out pretty good.

Yes, this is a possibility.

And what gets me upset is that they may be spurred to do the Eli gambit at the behest of Peyton fans.

If this happens, I find it odd, but ironic that Peyton fans do something that ultimately hurt the Colts.

Can the Peyton fan boys really influence what happens? I like to think not.

I like to think most of them are just an online group more then what we see in real life. Most of the Colts fans I know personally, think Peyton is on his last legs. The ones I know in real life.

I come online and it's a completely different situation.

You take Luck and throw him to the wolves and I say he gets hurt and never develops into the great player he was projected to be. Sure Luck is probable the real deal but I just think you can pass on him and build a much stronger team going forward by getting the picks he could bring. This team needs a lot more than one player right now and Manning, if healthy, gives you the best opportunity to keep winning. Polian admited he failed at getting an adquate backup, now you have a new front office and other players can be drafted to be developed. As much as I hate to say it, the Pats got a pretty good guy in the 6th round who wasnt graded very high by Mel Kiper and he turned out pretty good.

I actually hate to say it but I have less fears of Luck embarrassing himself then Peyton.

Peyton has a reputation to perform at an extremely high level and anything less will make us all whisper.

Luck as a rookie on ANY team will have less expectations to me being that he is a rookie and likely going to be part of a rebuilding team with lesser expectations.

Again, Peyton in his rookie season won how many games? How many years did it take for him to win a playoff game or let alone a SB?

Overall, my original thought here was WHY would Luck want to come to a team UNLESS he knows he will start soon.

I think many will get broken hearts if they expect Peyton and the Colts to win any titles soon. I just don't think it is going to happen.

So what makes some here (not saying you) actually believe this team is going to win another title even WITH Manning if it was so difficult just to win one with the great Tony Dungy as our head coach and all the pieces here.

What does Manning even gain by staying with the Colts? What do the Colts gain by paying him a lot of money?

The team hit rock bottom last year and was declining in 2010 IMO including Manning in some of his games.

A lot of this makes NO sense to me.

I hope Irsay does the right thing in the end for his business.

I never said keeping Manning means your going to win another Title but you have to get there to have a chance and I think Manning has proven he can do that more than anyone in this league. I would also say that 2010 was a pretty good year for Manning even with all the injuries the team had we still won 10 games and should have won the game against the Jets. Whose also to say that Manning wasn't having strengh issues with his arm then due to the neck problem. Would that be the reason he got the surguries? I believe he said he suffered the injury in 2006.

I never said keeping Manning means your going to win another Title but you have to get there to have a chance and I think Manning has proven he can do that more than anyone in this league. I would also say that 2010 was a pretty good year for Manning even with all the injuries the team had we still won 10 games and should have won the game against the Jets. Whose also to say that Manning wasn't having strengh issues with his arm then due to the neck problem. Would that be the reason he got the surguries? I believe he said he suffered the injury in 2006.

He is 1-1 in SB's and the winning team had a balanced squad with some great veterans.

It takes a balanced team effort to do it. There is a lot of QB worship out there. Just having Manning/Brady/Rodgers/Brees means nothing if the team is not good enough around the QB.

And no, I don't think the Colts are likely good enough right now. There is a lot of work to do with this team for me to think they are good enough to beat out 31 others.

I hope the Colts can do it but I wouldn't go and bet on it Manning or no Manning.

I actually hate to say it but I have less fears of Luck embarrassing himself then Peyton.

Peyton has a reputation to perform at an extremely high level and anything less will make us all whisper.

Luck as a rookie on ANY team will have less expectations to me being that he is a rookie and likely going to be part of a rebuilding team with lesser expectations.

Again, Peyton in his rookie season won how many games? How many years did it take for him to win a playoff game or let alone a SB?

Overall, my original thought here was WHY would Luck want to come to a team UNLESS he knows he will start soon.

I think many will get broken hearts if they expect Peyton and the Colts to win any titles soon. I just don't think it is going to happen.

Nothing wrong with your liking Luck. Thats what these boards are about. I respect everyone's opinions if logical. I have been a STH for 16 plus years and I bought individual tix for 6 plus years prior to that. It has been a great 13 years with Manning and I have seen him due wonderful things for this franchise, for this City and for this fan base. I don't paint my face anymore or wear my zoomba's to the games anymore but I'm still a huge fan. It has been wonderful to see this fan base evolve into what it has but we did that with Manning and I am loyal to him and I think he deserves to end his career with the team he built, not to be pushed out. I sat through the bad years and was loyal, I went to the airport and met the team in the almost years. Let the guy that built this franchise ride off into the sun on his own terms. With that said, I also think Manning owes it to this franchise to restructure his contract to be more cap friendly. Irsay did keep him on the roster the entire season and he got paid. So it goes both ways.

If Luck comes, he is going to have to win and win early or people will turn on him. Rodgers replaced Favre but he was prepared. Young replaced Montana but he was prepared. Luck is not prepared and I can't see him wanting to sit behind Manning so there in lies my concern from the Luck camp. They won't want to come here if Manning Stays. This will turn into Elway all over again but I think the Colts are better prepared for life without Luck if we trade the pick. We have a guy on the sideline that is more than ready.

Nothing wrong with your liking Luck. Thats what these boards are about. I respect everyone's opinions if logical. I have been a STH for 16 plus years and I bought individual tix for 6 plus years prior to that. It has been a great 13 years with Manning and I have seen him due wonderful things for this franchise, for this City and for this fan base. I don't paint my face anymore or wear my zoomba's to the games anymore but I'm still a huge fan. It has been wonderful to see this fan base evolve into what it has but we did that with Manning and I am loyal to him and I think he deserves to end his career with the team he built, not to be pushed out. I sat through the bad years and was loyal, I went to the airport and met the team in the almost years. Let the guy that built this franchise ride off into the sun on his own terms. With that said, I also think Manning owes it to this franchise to restructure his contract to be more cap friendly. Irsay did keep him on the roster the entire season and he got paid. So it goes both ways.

If Luck comes, he is going to have to win and win early or people will turn on him. Rodgers replaced Favre but he was prepared. Young replaced Montana but he was prepared. Luck is not prepared and I can't see him wanting to sit behind Manning so there in lies my concern from the Luck camp. They won't want to come here if Manning Stays. This will turn into Elway all over again but I think the Colts are better prepared for life without Luck if we trade the pick. We have a guy on the sideline that is more than ready.

Actually, we don't.

It's a risk to go with Manning just as much as it is not to go with him IMO.

To be peferfectly honest yes winning does cure all and I saw this with the Packers. As soon as Rodgers and company got that ring all was on his side, officially. Manning was a hit or miss playoff QB, Favre was the same. Young had it the toughest IMO replacing Montana.

An awful lot of people predicted Cam Newton to be a bust and so far he's very impressive. You just never know with any pick.

I was actually more impressed by Dalton. Playing in the AFC North vs. the Steelers/Ravens twice a year and helping his team produce more wins then expected. Actually I love what Cincy did with getting the rookie QB and WR and letting them grow together.

I don't know what Irsay does in the end and like what we see on ESPN, I am speculating too. I am just getting some thoughts out there.

Actually, we don't.

It's a risk to go with Manning just as much as it is not to go with him IMO.

To be peferfectly honest yes winning does cure all and I saw this with the Packers. As soon as Rodgers and company got that ring all was on his side, officially. Manning was a hit or miss playoff QB, Favre was the same. Young had it the toughest IMO replacing Montana.

I can agree with that if you can agree the Packers were in a better situation because they knew what they had in Rodgers? He was developed and it was easier to go to him than to just release Favre and go with a rookie. If that were the situation I think it would have been much different than what it turned out to be.

I wouldn't blame all of Mannings Playoff woes on him. I think a certain field goal kicker cost him a couple chances at victory. It's a team game and kickers can rip your heart out. Vandershank vs Miami, Vandershank vs Pitts come to mind. Look at the Ravens this year, it hurts.

Nothing wrong with your liking Luck. Thats what these boards are about. I respect everyone's opinions if logical. I have been a STH for 16 plus years and I bought individual tix for 6 plus years prior to that. It has been a great 13 years with Manning and I have seen him due wonderful things for this franchise, for this City and for this fan base. I don't paint my face anymore or wear my zoomba's to the games anymore but I'm still a huge fan. It has been wonderful to see this fan base evolve into what it has but we did that with Manning and I am loyal to him and I think he deserves to end his career with the team he built, not to be pushed out. I sat through the bad years and was loyal, I went to the airport and met the team in the almost years. Let the guy that built this franchise ride off into the sun on his own terms. With that said, I also think Manning owes it to this franchise to restructure his contract to be more cap friendly. Irsay did keep him on the roster the entire season and he got paid. So it goes both ways

Young and Rodgers are an entirely different scenario. They had years sitting behind their respective QBs to learn. Luck if taken will likely start right away. With the way the league has changed the past 2 seasons and the blueprint for rookie QBs, it will be much easier for Luck. Luck has no pressure to win early. Why would he? There is nothing that states a rookie must win 'x' amount of games.

Judging from your post it sounds like you are more concerned with Manning than the teams long term future. The mindset I see is to let Manning come back and have 3 or 4 seasons to go get at least one more SB. It sounds like a lot of fans are more concerned about his legacy rather than the team. Why not give Luck 10 or 15 seasons to go get a SB? I do not understand why one players short term legacy is more important than a teams long term future.

Players like Luck do not come around often. I can think of 2 others that were rated as highly as Luck. Manning and Elway. Ironically the Colts had a shot at both of them. I see no way Irsay let's Luck get away this time.

Another point is if Manning is back, the Colts will be a much different team with more holes. Manning won 1 in over a decade. What are the odds of a 2nd one?

I can agree with that if you can agree the Packers were in a better situation because they knew what they had in Rodgers? He was developed and it was easier to go to him than to just release Favre and go with a rookie. If that were the situation I think it would have been much different than what it turned out to be.

I wouldn't blame all of Mannings Playoff woes on him. I think a certain field goal kicker cost him a couple chances at victory. It's a team game and kickers can rip your heart out. Vandershank vs Miami, Vandershank vs Pitts come to mind. Look at the Ravens this year, it hurts.

I don't blame all the playoff issues on Manning but the older I get and look back at some games I do put SOME blame on him. He is part of the team and he deseves blame too IMO. Too many like to blame everyone BUT him. I feel the QB deserves blame as well at times for not having his best moments in the biggest moments as well as others on the team. I put blame on many QBs every year so I figure it's fair of me to do it to my own QB as well so I am not too much a homer.

Packers are my second favorite team actually and I talk to a lot of their fans. Some are actually irritated that Rodgers missed out on his very early years and what he might have been able to do sooner in this league looking back. Many of them worshipped Favre 100% and still love him. But, many hate him. It was a messier divorce then what I feel could transpire in Indy.

I can safely say the one thing I am happy over is that I am not Irsay this year. :)

Young and Rodgers are an entirely different scenario. They had years sitting behind their respective QBs to learn. Luck if taken will likely start right away. With the way the league has changed the past 2 seasons and the blueprint for rookie QBs, it will be much easier for Luck. Luck has no pressure to win early. Why would he? There is nothing that states a rookie must win 'x' amount of games.

Judging from your post it sounds like you are more concerned with Manning than the teams long term future. The mindset I see is to let Manning come back and have 3 or 4 seasons to go get at least one more SB. It sounds like a lot of fans are more concerned about his legacy rather than the team. Why not give Luck 10 or 15 seasons to go get a SB? I do not understand why one players short term legacy is more important than a teams long term future.

Players like Luck do not come around often. I can think of 2 others that were rated as highly as Luck. Manning and Elway. Ironically the Colts had a shot at both of them. I see no way Irsay let's Luck get away this time.

Another point is if Manning is back, the Colts will be a much different team with more holes. Manning won 1 in over a decade. What are the odds of a 2nd one?

Bingo. This is something I see a lot of too here and I am not sure I can say I understand.

Personally if the Colts win games in the future I just will be happy they win games regardless of the QB. If it is RG3 then so be it but I really hope it isn't.

I can't put one man's legacy ahead of the entire team and organization and what it has meant to me since I was a kid. I appreciate every moment Manning has given to the Colts but not even Manning alone was responsible for all the wins either. We had better teams for a while. We had some great players around him too. He was a huge part of it obviously but he did not catch his own passes, block for himself or make stops on defense or be the head coach.

I just think at times the QB worship can get out of hand. The legacy of ONE man.

A buddy of mine who is a Packers fans said he read the forums here recently to get a new perspective on things and said if he was not smoking a cigarette while reading his mouth would have dropped at all the hero worship. He said it was the Favre fans 2.0.

You have not read many of my posts have you??? I think trading the pick gives the Colts a better opportunity to improve over the next 3 to 4 years than just releasing Manning to draft a guy they think is the next great QB.

You don't think Luck will have pressure to win, are you kidding me??????????? He will have to win from the get go. This Colts fan base has seen no other franchise win more games in a decade than any other franchise in league history. Luck will be replacing a legend! He will need to win and he won't be able too because he won't have the supporting cast to help him achieve it and the fans will turn on him.

The long term health of this franchise is by fixing several area's not just one and then you still have no backup. We need more pieces to the puzzle than just the boarder. How many years did Manning play without an injury that cost him to miss a game????? Can you say 13 seasons. Is it for certain that Luck can do that? No.

Develop a QB to replace your guy. You could have 3 to 4 years to do that. If Healthy! Thats the topic here, will Luck come if manning stays I say no.

As far as Luck, I don't want the rebuilding of the Colts to start with the selection of a QB. I want to see the run game reestablished through a year or two of improved coaching, player selection, and strength and conditioning improvements along with young skill position changes. I would rather the pick be traded and a team built first.

The title sounded like the thread was about what the Luck group is thinking. The post kind of sounds like what are "we" thinking about it. To answer the title, I would say that the Luck camp would love to be selected #1, regardless of the saga surrounding PM.

You have not read many of my posts have you??? I think trading the pick gives the Colts a better opportunity to improve over the next 3 to 4 years than just releasing Manning to draft a guy they think is the next great QB.

You don't think Luck will have pressure to win, are you kidding me??????????? He will have to win from the get go. This Colts fan base has seen no other franchise win more games in a decade than any other franchise in league history. Luck will be replacing a legend! He will need to win and he won't be able too because he won't have the supporting cast to help him achieve it and the fans will turn on him.

The long term health of this franchise is by fixing several area's not just one and then you still have no backup. We need more pieces to the puzzle than just the boarder. How many years did Manning play without an injury that cost him to miss a game????? Can you say 13 seasons. Is it for certain that Luck can do that? No.

Develop a QB to replace your guy. You could have 3 to 4 years to do that. If Healthy! Thats the topic here, will Luck come if manning stays I say no.

Trading the pick for other picks does not guarantee those picks will be successful either long term. Any pick in the draft be it Luck or any other position could fail to live up to expectations.

Luck is probably the safest pick though and most might agree on this one.

As for replacing Luck I think you have to be brain dead as a fan of any team to expect a rookie QB with a brand new coaching staff and a lot of holes on it to suddenly become a contender over night. If some fans feel this way then I feel bad for them. Those are the fans who might be rooting for Luck to fail sadly.

On the flip side though if Luck has early success then the bandwagon will become heavier then ever.

Really overall. Fans can be dumb. Thats why the guys at the top get paid big bucks and we are always talking on forums lol.

He is 1-1 in SB's and the winning team had a balanced squad with some great veterans.

It takes a balanced team effort to do it. There is a lot of QB worship out there. Just having Manning/Brady/Rodgers/Brees means nothing if the team is not good enough around the QB.

And no, I don't think the Colts are likely good enough right now. There is a lot of work to do with this team for me to think they are good enough to beat out 31 others.

I hope the Colts can do it but I wouldn't go and bet on it Manning or no Manning.

so, you're saying here that its about having a balanced team...too much QB worship out there...that we need a good team around the QB...

But then you say we have to draft Luck and NOT trade the #1 pick for a whole boat load of draft picks to BUILD THE TEAM...and we could build that team NOW and have Peyton for a few more years and STILL have enough draft picks to trade up if need be NEXT year to get our QB of the future...but if we draft Luck #1 and then do just good enough to not get any higher draft picks, how does that help build the team? isnt that the same thing you're saying youre against, relying on the QB and not building the team around him?!

Would it really be the "end of our future" if we trade the #1 pick this year and have SEVERAL extra first and second round picks to build the team, and then have enough picks next year to trade up for Barkley?

Also, i think that even though Peyton is 1-1 in super bowls, had we had a better coaching staff then, we wouldve won vs the saints. After Polian/Caldwell decided to forfeit the last 2 regular season games, we played super conservative the rest of the year/playoffs