Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Inside The Mind Of Team Luck

Jules

I have no idea what most threads here are saying half the time. It's a forum.

I don't see a ton of action going on either with the waiting game so my point was why would Luck come here if he was going to ride the bench for years?

Misleading Title.............Your point should of been your title.

Title = "why would Luck come here if he was going to ride the bench for years? Jeez.

What is this second favorite team stuff? Jeez. Who is your 5th favorite team?

Nobody is discussing what you wanted to discuss because er title is misleading.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The balanced team concept is a pipe dream because Luck after his rookie deal will be priced in a similar fashion as Manning, taking up a high % of the cap, and there are players in place over the next 3-4 years unless we make 2012 a throw away year that will make it extremely hard to form a balanced team.

We will have the same structure, with a similar offense and will still be a play away from having QB2 coming in and struggle.

This was a chance to change the structure of the team and it didn't happen.

The balanced team concept is a pipe dream because Luck after his rookie deal will be priced in a similar fashion as Manning, taking up a high % of the cap, and there are players in place over the next 3-4 years unless we make 2012 a throw away year that will make it extremely hard to form a balanced team.

We will have the same structure, with a similar offense and will still be a play away from having QB2 coming in and struggle.

What was the chance, and what didn't happen? I'm not sure 'anything' has happened yet?

Misleading Title.............Your point should of been your title.

Title = "why would Luck come here if he was going to ride the bench for years? Jeez.

What is this second favorite team stuff? Jeez. Who is your 5th favorite team?

Nobody is discussing what you wanted to discuss because er title is misleading.

Nice contribution there......

What was the chance, and what didn't happen? I'm not sure 'anything' has happened yet?

Hiring a coach, or in the very least an OC that is well versed in the WCO. That hasn't happened and won't happen at this point.

Our offense won't exactly be the same one Manning has created over 13 years, but it will have some of the same concepts, and we will be a QB heavy team, and Luck will be paid in the same fashion as Manning after his rookie deal is complete.

We will simply be asking Luck to replace Manning and that is a set up for failure.

Hiring a coach, or in the very least an OC that is well versed in the WCO. That hasn't happened and won't happen at this point.

Our offense won't exactly be the same one Manning has created over 13 years, but it will have some of the same concepts, and we will be a QB heavy team, and Luck will be paid in the same fashion as Manning after his rookie deal is complete.

We will simply be asking Luck to replace Manning and that is a set up for failure.

I see the logic. But with a D minded coach, perhaps Luck will get the ball more, and ST's might give him better average starting position tham PM was blessed with. Etc....

I think Luck if he has too will not mind sitting around for 1 year, after that Colts will have to make a decision. This must be an incredibly awkward position for Luck family and Manning Family. How one pinched nerve has changed an entire fate of a franchise and the career and legacy of Bill Polian and Peyton Manning. I never thought in my wildest dreams we would draft luck who is the prospect we need exactly to fill in shoes of Peyton Manning

There will never be another Peyton Manning, thats fine I just want a franchise QB that can lead and take charge as Manning did as a rookie. For those that say, he is a rookie and can be a bust. Peyton was a rookie himself too. But both of these guys have incredibly smart football IQs

So what makes some here (not saying you) actually believe this team is going to win another title even WITH Manning if it was so difficult just to win one with the great Tony Dungy as our head coach and all the pieces here.

What does Manning even gain by staying with the Colts? What do the Colts gain by paying him a lot of money?

All things being equal, Peyton Manning does not want to be on this team next year. He wants to win for the next 2-3 years before he retires and with him or without him, we're going to be rebuilding roster spots 2-53 for another year or two.

The only issue at this point is who is going to look like the bad guy when the parties separate. That's what the posturing was about with the Super Bowl and that the context that every comment, interview, statement or 'breaking news from an unnamed source close to the situation' needs to be viewed in.

All things being equal, Peyton Manning does not want to be on this team next year. He wants to win for the next 2-3 years before he retires and with him or without him, we're going to be rebuilding roster spots 2-53 for another year or two.

The only issue at this point is who is going to look like the bad guy when the parties separate. That's what the posturing was about with the Super Bowl and that the context that every comment, interview, statement or 'breaking news from an unnamed source close to the situation' needs to be viewed in.

If what you say is true, then PM will remain silent and make Irsay look like the bad guy for releasing PM before the March 8 date.

Irsay, will in turn, mention that it was a difficult decision to make, given the uncertainty of PM's rehab progress (which will downgrade PM's marketability to other NFL teams), and also the difficulty associated with the salary cap that PM's contract represents.

I think in their private discussions, PM and Irsay will instead choose a middle ground that will 1) Preserve PM's marketability to other NFL teams, while also 2) Preserve Irsay's relatively good image in these dealings. I see the joint announcement to be something along the lines of:

The Colts are rebuilding from the foundation up (note the changes to the FO, coaching staff). We will be drafting our QB of the future with the #1 overall pick. As such, after much discussions with the coaches and PM, we have jointly decided that it is in the best interest of all parties that we should go our separate ways. PM has told me of his aspirations to contend for another SB before he retires, and although he would like that to be with the Colts, given our rebuilding plan, this would not be possible. Hence, with great sorrow, but also with great gratitude for what PM has brought to this team and this city, I wish PM the best success in his future endeavors.

You could be right. It has crossed my mind too.

Also something else in the back of my mind this past year was Houston. It seems like it could be their time to dominate the South for a little while IMO, or at the very least make things difficult. I actually believe a healthy Schaub made them the best team in the AFC last season.

Now if you want to talk balance look at them. With Schaub it might be a projected top 5 for that squad in every statistical category. The key for them will be keeping the stars on the team healthy and avoidng a let down with high expectations. But, they are really really a balanced team right now.

You could be right. It has crossed my mind too.

Also something else in the back of my mind this past year was Houston. It seems like it could be their time to dominate the South for a little while IMO, or at the very least make things difficult. I actually believe a healthy Schaub made them the best team in the AFC last season.

Now if you want to talk balance look at them. With Schaub it might be a projected top 5 for that squad in every statistical category. The key for them will be keeping the stars on the team healthy and avoidng a let down with high expectations. But, they are really really a balanced team right now.

eh i really dont wanna thinkn about houston lol. their getting dangerous, and tennessees rookie looked good too. but the good thing about houston is they are in cap trouble. they can only really sign one or the other in Foster or Mario Williams and we all know foster isnt going anywhere. so Mario WIlliams is the one on the go. but i agree schaub makes them very good. but only if he can stay healthy. colts just need to rebuild, get younger and then run the tables with luck. sorry to say but after watching that sports science video on Luck, luck could be scary for defenses in the NFL by 2013

eh i really dont wanna thinkn about houston lol. their getting dangerous, and tennessees rookie looked good too. but the good thing about houston is they are in cap trouble. they can only really sign one or the other in Foster or Mario Williams and we all know foster isnt going anywhere. so Mario WIlliams is the one on the go. but i agree schaub makes them very good. but only if he can stay healthy. colts just need to rebuild, get younger and then run the tables with luck. sorry to say but after watching that sports science video on Luck, luck could be scary for defenses in the NFL by 2013

Everyone in the Pac-12 (except Stanford) is happy that Luck isn't going to use his last year of eligibility.

Here is the thing Jules, I think this idea that If Manning comes back it's going to be for 4 or 5 more years is a pipe dream and wishful thinking. I don't see him playing past 2 years (he'd be 38 for the record)

Yeah, I suppose he could play and squeeze ever little bit out until the towel is completely dry, but I have a hard time thinking Manning is going to play unless it's at a high level.

Just my opinion, and I'm not trying to insult anyone who disagrees with me for the record.

Of course I am not truly in the mind of them nor have an inside source.

I am also aware of what Luck has said at times about learning from Peyton.

But, be honest with yourselves.

You are Luck. You are Luck's dad. Luck's agent. His barber. Now you are the best college QB prospect since Elway right? You are apparently NFL ready and ready to selected first in the draft.

Why in the world would you sit on the bench for more then a year at most? Why?

No, this is not like Rodgers to me. Rodgers was not even the clear first pick in the draft. Rodgers was actually a value pick for the Packers where they got him. Rodgers did not have as much of a choice.

Luck does.

If Peyton stays and is cleared and you get the feeling he will start for years.....why would you come to Indy?

Learning from PM is the dream scenario many say. Then again ask Favre how much a starting legend of his own team wants to play mentor for a young QB when he wishes deep down that his team spent the pick on a player to help win now.

By all means from what we have heard......Irsay is going to spend the first pick on a QB and it's likely Luck. If you take RG3 I firmly believe that will be a huge huge mistake.

But, I still can't grasp my mind around having both Luck/Peyton. I just can't. Going back to Archie's initial stage dad comments last season......it does not fit well in my gut.

Because your getting paid the same amount regardless. If you have to sit behind the GOAT for one or two season then so be it.

You are being a bit presumptious there frog. He may not like it, but he may just knuckle down......

I don't think I am being presumptuous.

Luck said that he would rather start.

He also said that if he was required to sit behind PM for a period of time, he responded with the "such is life" comment. He won't be happy about it. And I don't expect him or PM or any competitor worth his salt to be happy to be sitting.

A competitor would not be happy to sit, even if he was getting paid.

PM would not be happy in the same situation.

Luck will not be happy in the same situation.

You don't know that, to sit behind anyone else maybe not, but to sit behind Manning, who he obviously feels good about because he went to his throwing camp.

I don't think I am being presumptuous.

Luck said that he would rather start.

He also said that if he was required to sit behind PM for a period of time, he responded with the "such is life" comment. He won't be happy about it. And I don't expect him or PM or any competitor worth his salt to be happy to be sitting.

Luck also said he would sit behind Manning, I don't think it really matters if he is happy or not, as long as he gets his shot.

You don't know that, to sit behind anyone else maybe not, but to sit behind Manning, who he obviously feels good about because he went to his throwing camp.

Luck also said he would sit behind Manning, I don't think it really matters if he is happy or not, as long as he gets his shot.

Yes, I do know that, from what Luck said...he said "such is life" when asked how he would feel sitting behind PM for a period of time. Prior to that, Luck also said that he would rather start. From that, I interpret that he would rather start than sit. And if he had to sit, he won't be happy, but instead resigned to the necessity....such is life.

Yes, I do know that, from what Luck said...he said "such is life" when asked how he would feel sitting behind PM for a period of time. Prior to that, Luck also said that he would rather start. From that, I interpret that he would rather start than sit. And if he had to sit, he won't be happy, but instead resigned to the necessity....such is life.

So what's the problem then?

I have no problems.

I merely stated the facts.

Luck is a competitor who will not like sitting.

Oh... ok, Maybe yiou just misunderstood my post that you quoted then.

Because your getting paid the same amount regardless. If you have to sit behind the GOAT for one or two season then so be it.

Never said he would be happy about sitting.

It's like you're eschewing the idea of drafting a franchise quarterback. If you want to have a really good quarterback (why wouldn't you?) then you have to pay him. It doesn't mean you can't have a balanced team.

It's like you're eschewing the idea of drafting a franchise quarterback. If you want to have a really good quarterback (why wouldn't you?) then you have to pay him. It doesn't mean you can't have a balanced team.

It's extremely hard to have a balanced team with such a high % going to one position. I just don't see a balanced team in the future.

JC i think moving forward you are going to see way bigger cap % going towards the QB position. It is arguably the most important position in all sports.

Its just so hard to cover 3 to 4 WR with good timing with their QBs. A good QB can nail a window less than a foot wide. Theres always the chance of a Pass Interference call as well. Short yardage just doens't win games anymore. Patriots in the SB with their D pretty much locks that arguement. I do agree the more balanced the better, but not if it hurts the passing game.

not to be a jerk, but ....why is this thread even in Colts football? is he signed to our roster?

It's extremely hard to have a balanced team with such a high % going to one position. I just don't see a balanced team in the future.

I believe Eli Manning is the third highest paid player in the NFL. The Giants have a very balanced team: good o-line, good d-line, decent secondary, good receivers, several solid backs, etc. He's 31, on his second contract, and has a manageable but high cap number until they get to the last couple years on his deal. He'll be 33 or 34, with a pretty high cap number. But they've won two Super Bowls in the last five years.

There's so much turnover at most positions in the NFL now. They went back to the Super Bowl with an entirely new receiving corps, a couple new backs, new linebackers, new players in the secondary, replaced a couple players on the defensive line, etc. That's the nature of the salary cap era. But when its time to pay the most important player on your team, you pay him, and you're thankful that you have him. Having a highly paid quarterback hasn't cost anyone a chance at a Super Bowl. Other roster management mistakes may have, but even with the highest paid quarterback in the league, you should be able to compete for rings.