Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Inside The Mind Of Team Luck

Jules

An awful lot of people predicted Cam Newton to be a bust and so far he's very impressive. You just never know with any pick.

Cam Newton only had 1 season at Auburn for people to make their opinions based on...and he's a LOT bigger than RGIII....RGIII is the right size and right playing style to miss 4-8 games per season due to injury

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodgers getting booed and calling posters Peyton Fan boys are one in the same. As far as Luck, I don't want the rebuilding of the Colts to start with the selection of a QB. I want to see the run game reestablished through a year or two of improved coaching, player selection, and strength and conditioning improvements along with young skill position changes. I would rather the pick be traded and a team built first.

The title sounded like the thread was about what the Luck group is thinking. The post kind of sounds like what are "we" thinking about it. To answer the title, I would say that the Luck camp would love to be selected #1, regardless of the saga surrounding PM.

We tend to drift away don't we?

But, yes the original topic. Luck may want to be the first pick in the draft. But, my question remains and it has been discussed as to why the best college prospect since Elway would want to ride the bench.

Why spend the first overall pick on the QB too to ride the bench if you are that confident PM can play 3+ more years?

And still until I see Peyton throwing and playing consistently again at a high level I shall have some doubts. I have to see things with my own eyes.

I was actually more impressed by Dalton. Playing in the AFC North vs. the Steelers/Ravens twice a year and helping his team produce more wins then expected. Actually I love what Cincy did with getting the rookie QB and WR and letting them grow together.

I don't know what Irsay does in the end and like what we see on ESPN, I am speculating too. I am just getting some thoughts out there.

If you like what Cincy did better, then why do you insist that we draft Luck #1 and not trade the pick? Dalton was a 2nd round pick, not the #1 choice

so, you're saying here that its about having a balanced team...too much QB worship out there...that we need a good team around the QB...

But then you say we have to draft Luck and NOT trade the #1 pick for a whole boat load of draft picks to BUILD THE TEAM...and we could build that team NOW and have Peyton for a few more years and STILL have enough draft picks to trade up if need be NEXT year to get our QB of the future...but if we draft Luck #1 and then do just good enough to not get any higher draft picks, how does that help build the team? isnt that the same thing you're saying youre against, relying on the QB and not building the team around him?!

Would it really be the "end of our future" if we trade the #1 pick this year and have SEVERAL extra first and second round picks to build the team, and then have enough picks next year to trade up for Barkley?

Also, i think that even though Peyton is 1-1 in super bowls, had we had a better coaching staff then, we wouldve won vs the saints. After Polian/Caldwell decided to forfeit the last 2 regular season games, we played super conservative the rest of the year/playoffs

I 100% don't want Barkley LOL. I think he will end up being a let down.

We all have our own opinions.

If you like what Cincy did better, then why do you insist that we draft Luck #1 and not trade the pick? Dalton was a 2nd round pick, not the #1 choice

I am not saying we HAVE to do what Cincy did. I just liked it. It was a good move on their part to get those two in there and have them develop together. It worked out.

Who would you trade down for specifically in the draft?

I 100% don't want Barkley LOL. I think he will end up being a let down.

We all have our own opinions.

and why do you think that? I agree that i think Luck will be good...and i also think RGIII is overhyped and will be mediocre and injured a lot...but i DO think Barkley will be a very good NFL QB...and out of everything i had to say, that's the only thing you comment on? nice lol

and why do you think that? I agree that i think Luck will be good...and i also think RGIII is overhyped and will be mediocre and injured a lot...but i DO think Barkley will be a very good NFL QB...and out of everything i had to say, that's the only thing you comment on? nice lol

Not everything you say is worth commenting on but I can go back and do it if you want.

BTW just not a Barkley fan. Not feeling the dude. SO be it.

I am not saying we HAVE to do what Cincy did. I just liked it. It was a good move on their part to get those two in there and have them develop together. It worked out.

Who would you trade down for specifically in the draft?

Well i'm not going to name specific players to trade down for, because you never know who might still be available at the extra picks aquired...but if we have multiple first and multiple second round picks for the next couple years, that would go a much longer way in rebuilding the team, if you dont want us to have to rely on superior QB play

Jeez man, If you have something to say to us:

1 -- hook us, get our attention in the first line or 2

2 -- explain why we should care in the next 3-4 lines.

3 -- blah, blah, blah

I have NO IDEA what you you are trying to say here --??????????????????

You lost me ..................

Not everything you say is worth commenting on but I can go back and do it if you want.

BTW just not a Barkley fan. Not feeling the dude. SO be it.

well most of what YOU say goes against itself with other things you say.

You think we have to draft Luck because he's the best QB prospect in forever

You think we need to build a TEAM instead of relying on the QB

You think we have to draft Luck and NOT trade for multiple picks that could easily be used to rebuild the team

You're also a Packers fan who likes Rodgers, but think we NEED to draft Luck #1 instead of using a later pick on a QB

You prefer what the Bengals did with Dalton over what the Panthers did with Newton

but you think that we would be better off doing what the Panthers did instead of what the Bengals did

You call people who want Manning to stay "Peyton fan boys"

But then start a thread called "inside the mind of team Luck"

the list could go on and on and on...

so, you're saying here that its about having a balanced team...too much QB worship out there...that we need a good team around the QB...

But then you say we have to draft Luck and NOT trade the #1 pick for a whole boat load of draft picks to BUILD THE TEAM...and we could build that team NOW and have Peyton for a few more years and STILL have enough draft picks to trade up if need be NEXT year to get our QB of the future...but if we draft Luck #1 and then do just good enough to not get any higher draft picks, how does that help build the team? isnt that the same thing you're saying youre against, relying on the QB and not building the team around him?!

No it is not. I am looking at a long term plan here in building a balanced team if Luck is as good as advertised. I am not even planning on the Colts probably truly contending for a SB for a while unless they completely stun me. I hope they do stun me.

I am probably being a big more negative then you are. But, I don't think a few rookies at various positions will set us over the edge over night either. So in that regard I will go with the safest prospect with is Luck and hope he pans out over time.

Would it really be the "end of our future" if we trade the #1 pick this year and have SEVERAL extra first and second round picks to build the team, and then have enough picks next year to trade up for Barkley?

Well, I don't want Barkley so there you have it.

Also, i think that even though Peyton is 1-1 in super bowls, had we had a better coaching staff then, we wouldve won vs the saints. After Polian/Caldwell decided to forfeit the last 2 regular season games, we played super conservative the rest of the year/playoffs

Yes Caldwell sucked but then again the team did not play it's best game either which I can't put all on the staff can I? Then again this is water under the bridge with that SB. The Saints beat us.

Jeez man, If you have something to say to us:

1 -- hook us, get our attention in the first line or 2

2 -- explain why we should care in the next 3-4 lines.

3 -- blah, blah, blah

I have NO IDEA what you you are trying to say here --??????????????????

You lost me ..................

I have no idea what most threads here are saying half the time. It's a forum.

I don't see a ton of action going on either with the waiting game so my point was why would Luck come here if he was going to ride the bench for years?

I agree with the premise of this thread. Luck, despite what he says, does not want to come to a place he is going to be sitting the bench for 4 years. At the moment, all his camp can do is wait and see what happens with Peyton.

I'll mark it down right here though, next year we have Peyton starting and Luck as the one and only backup. No reason to keep the Big O, or the Painter anymore.

I do have to disagree with the sentiment that Peyton will have no part in the mentoring of Luck. He is the consummate professional, and while he wouldn't be his 'coach' he would certainly give him advice and whatnot. Peyton Manning is a much classier, and more approachable guy than Brett Favre. Just because Painter sucks doesn't mean Peyton just ignores him in practice. I'll also say this though, Luck sitting under Peyton for 4 years will not be all that helpful to his development. The best way to get better is to play in games, and that goes without saying.

The Colts will draft Luck, and he will sit whether he likes it or not.....or he'll force a trade, which I don't even know how that works.

well most of what YOU say goes against itself with other things you say.

You think we have to draft Luck because he's the best QB prospect in forever

You think we need to build a TEAM instead of relying on the QB

You think we have to draft Luck and NOT trade for multiple picks that could easily be used to rebuild the team

You're also a Packers fan who likes Rodgers, but think we NEED to draft Luck #1 instead of using a later pick on a QB

You prefer what the Bengals did with Dalton over what the Panthers did with Newton

but you think that we would be better off doing what the Panthers did instead of what the Bengals did

You call people who want Manning to stay "Peyton fan boys"

But then start a thread called "inside the mind of team Luck"

the list could go on and on and on...

Then go and put me on ignore.

You reply to my posts a lot anyway and frankly we never get anywhere nor agree so let's end it all now.

I agree with the premise of this thread.

Finally......

Luck, despite what he says, does not want to come to a place he is going to be sitting the bench for 4 years. At the moment, all his camp can do is wait and see what happens with Peyton.

Yep.

I'll mark it down right here though, next year we have Peyton starting and Luck as the one and only backup. No reason to keep the Big O, or the Painter anymore.

Let us hope not. ;)

I do have to disagree with the sentiment that Peyton will have no part in the mentoring of Luck. He is the consummate professional, and while he wouldn't be his 'coach' he would certainly give him advice and whatnot. Peyton Manning is a much classier, and more approachable guy than Brett Favre. Just because Painter sucks doesn't mean Peyton just ignores him in practice.

Agree. Peyton is not a Favre. Just am not sure it's fair to have Peyton also if he comes back to have this hanging behind him with Luck. No legend wants his replacement breathing down his neck either IMO.

I'll also say this though, Luck sitting under Peyton for 4 years will not be all that helpful to his development. The best way to get better is to play in games, and that goes without saying.

This. I don't see how this helps Luck either. Why would he want to sit for 3 or 4 years as the first pick in the entire draft? None of this makes a ton of sense to me. The kids needs to play sooner then later.

The Colts will draft Luck, and he will sit whether he likes it or not.....or he'll force a trade, which I don't even know how that works.

Yep. He will have to choose if Manning comes back. Sit or pull an Eli.

I just am baffled though as to why Luck would be okay with sitting? This is not Luck fan worship here either. It's a genuine thought and concern.

I just am baffled though as to why Luck would be okay with sitting? This is not Luck fan worship here either. It's a genuine thought and concern.

Agreed. I'll be honest, I really don't want both guys here at the same time. I don't think it's fair to them. I've said before that I'm all for trading down, collecting some picks, and taking Foles round 2, who I'd say is the Andy Dalton of this draft. I'm not a fan of having the GOAT, and the future GOAT, on the same roster for 4 years. Only one of them can play so to me it's basically pointless. But I still see Irsay doing it. I guess he is of the 'can't have too much of a good thing' line of thought.

Agreed. I'll be honest, I really don't want both guys here at the same time. I don't think it's fair to them. I've said before that I'm all for trading down, collecting some picks, and taking Foles round 2, who I'd say is the Andy Dalton of this draft. I'm not a fan of having the GOAT, and the future GOAT, on the same roster for 4 years. Only one of them can play so to me it's basically pointless. But I still see Irsay doing it. I guess he is of the 'can't have too much of a good thing' line of thought.

And you are perhaps my all time favorite Peyton fanatic. ;) And you know this. See people, fan boy is not always a bad term. Peytonator and I have always been cool.

Last season early on when the Luck thing started I started to wonder how and why we could have both Peyton and Luck on the same team. Now we still have to wait more on this Peyton thing.

BUT, like you I don't love the idea of having both. I just don't. And like you said it might not be fair to either.

We hear we will take one with the first pick in the draft though. I just hope this works out if Peyton comes back. I don't know......I don't love the idea at all. I kinda feel you should choose one direction with one of them.

I am glad I am not Irsay.

Yep.

And many fans love the idea of having Luck learn behind Manning for a while. But, what makes people think this fairy tale is going to work smoothly?

Of course Luck or RG3 might say the right things. RG3 has even said he would happily sit behind Peyton but of course he would. He would say anything to be the first pick. And honestly I WANT the guy who wants to play.

Team Luck is in the drivers seat come draft time and they are all waiting here as well.

I STILL don't truly feel this is going to work out as many fans hope. I just don't. Sorry.

I almost feel like you have to choose. You choose to go into a new direction with Luck and completely rebuild this thing. Or, you just go with Manning and keep your fingers crossed he can stay healthy and return to a high level and the team has more shots in the playoffs under him.

Either way IMO it's a gamble.

I agree with you 100% and i also agree with wyld1......

PM was a great QB while with the colts, but half the people on this forum is or is acting like a fan of just manning and that isnt right. kinda like how you said the packer fans still get on rodgers and the packers if they mess up, the difference between favre and manning is when favre left he was healthy (meaning he didnt have 3 neck surgeries) I cant remember how old he was but i believe 36 or 37 right? anyway rodgers came in and within 2 or 3 years won a SB. kinda went off topic with the rodgers favre topic and now ill get back on it...

as i was saying some of the people on here pleaing for Manning to stay a colt are more then likely just manning fans and not 100% colts fans, and prob will be angry with irsay and the FO if manning is released. seems none of them want to face reality that manning is 36 and had 3 neck surgeries, to top it off his nerves have not regenerated yet and no telling how long it will be before they do if they do. even so, you still release manning even if he can throw the ball 60 yards, but you try to re sign him for a year or 2 at a cheap price maybe around 10 million a year or alittle less then that, what im trying to say is i agree with you 100 % its time for manning to step aside and let the colts draft luck and let him start right away. Manning says he wants to retire a colt, well do it. retire, get out because if he comes back and is not the same he could end up going out losing and im pretty sure he dont want colt fans remembering him for his final season being a losing season.

who to draft as a QB is tricky, I have been saying luck and i will still say luck, because he is the biggest QB coming out of college since MANNING, you said elway which wasnt wrong, but cant forget Manning was hyped up to be a good QB but was overshadowed by RYAN LEAF of all people. and not that luck wont be good, im sure he can handle the NFL just fine, but something tells me RG3 will be just as good....

then you have the comments by RG3 as saying he will do anything possible to try to prove to the colts he should be the number 1 pick, safe pick would be go to luck. he ran a pro style offense at stanford, im sure he has somewhat of a feel of the colts offense having work with manning in his passing camp for a few years im sure he has talked to manning alot about it, and if im not mistaken wasnt one of the polians on the stanfords coaching staff? if im correct on that then he should know the way the colts run things alittle. if not then he must not have been asking questions about it this past season.

To me Luck is as close as you can get to PM then anything.

I think deep down we have all loved Peyton. We still do.

But, if his arm is weakened a lot I will be very very concerned that he can continue on at a high level on the field. If it is weaker then in 2010 I will be worried because I saw signs then. Of course as a fan I won't see it for a while in real game action but I don't want to see a legend decline either. It's one of the saddest things to witness.

I think Irsay has been hoping that Peyton retires but maybe this won't happen, at least not for a while. Peyton is going to do what he can to come back. But, even if he gets healthy it might not be the same old Peyton healthy we used to have the pleasure of watching.

I have no say in what Irsay does and I know he has some tough decisions ahead. Best of luck Jim.

I also find it odd that all heck breaks loose the week before the SB in the media but this week has been more mild/quiet and mostly speculation from talking heads.

Yep.

And many fans love the idea of having Luck learn behind Manning for a while. But, what makes people think this fairy tale is going to work smoothly?

Of course Luck or RG3 might say the right things. RG3 has even said he would happily sit behind Peyton but of course he would. He would say anything to be the first pick. And honestly I WANT the guy who wants to play.

Team Luck is in the drivers seat come draft time and they are all waiting here as well.

I STILL don't truly feel this is going to work out as many fans hope. I just don't. Sorry.

I almost feel like you have to choose. You choose to go into a new direction with Luck and completely rebuild this thing. Or, you just go with Manning and keep your fingers crossed he can stay healthy and return to a high level and the team has more shots in the playoffs under him.

Either way IMO it's a gamble.

you cant go with manning and keep your fingeres crossed hoping everything wil turn out ok in 2 or 3 years. fact of the matter is you keep manning dont draft luck, in 2 or three years were with out a QB or another curtis painter or jim sorgi and the fans who said keep manning start to blame the FO because there was no decent back up to come in when manning left. and those of us who kept sayin draft luck will say we told you so.

the other thing about keeping Manning is the 28 million dollar option and the big contract he still has left if that option is picked up, can definently hurt the rebuilding process especially on the defensive side of the ball.

colts cut manning come march 8th (we all know thats when the decision will happen) resign wayne,garcon,mathis,saturday (if he still wants to play) have those guys in camp to compliment Luck and it will make his transition into the nfl easier knowing he has weapons at WR to throw to. should still have cap space to sign another FA which should be a defensive player whether its to fill holes at DT or LB or DB. even if its just one player. atleast it will be in the right direction in rebuilding around luck

BTW just because I said I was impressed a lot by Dalton does not mean I think we are going to go that same route. I loved what they did but they also were extremely fortunate the rookie QB/WR duo they had worked out so well. They also had a good D this year.

GoColts8818 made a good point in another thread:

]Also if we trade the pick most of those picks are probably going to come in future drafts and not this draft really setting up a future QB more than it will help Manning.

The idea of trading away the first pick to help asap with picks might not even happen for THIS season.

I think Luck is probably going to happen and Manning potentially being let go/or retiring is going to happen the more I think about this honestly with myself.......

I think deep down we have all loved Peyton. We still do.

But, if his arm is weakened a lot I will be very very concerned that he can continue on at a high level on the field. If it is weaker then in 2010 I will be worried because I saw signs then. Of course as a fan I won't see it for a while in real game action but I don't want to see a legend decline either. It's one of the saddest things to witness.

I think Irsay has been hoping that Peyton retires but maybe this won't happen, at least not for a while. Peyton is going to do what he can to come back. But, even if he gets healthy it might not be the same old Peyton healthy we used to have the pleasure of watching.

I have no say in what Irsay does and I know he has some tough decisions ahead. Best of luck Jim.

I also find it odd that all heck breaks loose the week before the SB in the media but this week has been more mild/quiet and mostly speculation from talking heads.

everything that happened during the week of the SB was probably more of a way to try to get an answer out of irsay. he didnt go for it and is looking at the situation as close as possible before making a big decision like that. but i also think Irsay has already made a decision and manning knows but both are going to wait until the deadline to announce it so no one comes out and says they did not wait out the issue to see how anything turns out whether its keeping him or releasing him. its just my opinion because it feels like something is being kept from us fans

BTW just because I said I was impressed a lot by Dalton does not mean I think we are going to go that same route. I loved what they did but they also were extremely fortunate the rookie QB/WR duo they had worked out so well. They also had a good D this year.

GoColts8818 made a good point in another thread:

The idea of trading away the first pick to help asap with picks might not even happen for THIS season.

I think Luck is probably going to happen and Manning potentially being let go/or retiring is going to happen the more I think about this honestly with myself.......

im hoping for us fans manning retires. he deserves to retire a colt, and should not go do a brett favre jumping frmo team to team until his career is over.

everything that happened during the week of the SB was probably more of a way to try to get an answer out of irsay. he didnt go for it and is looking at the situation as close as possible before making a big decision like that. but i also think Irsay has already made a decision and manning knows but both are going to wait until the deadline to announce it so no one comes out and says they did not wait out the issue to see how anything turns out whether its keeping him or releasing him. its just my opinion because it feels like something is being kept from us fans

You could be right.

I think we are all getting antsy at times just waiting for it to happen. Whatever it is. My gut has said for weeks Manning will be let go. I do wonder if Irsay really goes through with it though but after all the firings he has done recently who the heck knows. He might not be messing around anymore and really and truly means it when he said rebuilding.

im hoping for us fans manning retires. he deserves to retire a colt, and should not go do a brett favre jumping frmo team to team until his career is over.

I honestly will worry about Peyton suiting up and playing regardless if it's with the Colts or with another team. I will worry about his health. I don't care what the reports say or the prognosis is of recovering from this injury. I will worry.

So yes deep down I would probably love for him to retire as well. He has done everything you can in this league. He won a SB, he won 4 MVPs and he has been amazing. I just don't know what else there is to prove but we all know how competitive he and all players can be.

I know many want him to have more SB wins. We all would. It's a lot easier said then done though.

I don't want to see Peyton get hurt or even worse.....just decline in front of us.

You could be right.

I think we are all getting antsy at times just waiting for it to happen. Whatever it is. My gut has said for weeks Manning will be let go. I do wonder if Irsay really goes through with it though but after all the firings he has done recently who the heck knows. He might not be messing around anymore and really and truly means it when he said rebuilding.

from the way irsay has talked, he does sound like hes serious. and you can tell the way he talks about the colts and the fans that he really cares about winning and brigning championships to indy.im just hoping (and this may sound bad but im not tryin to make it that way) irsay does whats right and releases manning. if he cares that much about rebuilding then thats where he needs to start and its by releasing him. i can handle going 8-8 or 7-9 in lucks first season even 3-13, we all handled it when manning was drafted he went 3-13 then the next season playoffs. and they were rebuilding and they brought in Edge, freeney,mathis, wayne, harrison, clark. i mean if we could get through one bad season wtih a rookie QB in 98 we can do it again in 2012

Of course I am not truly in the mind of them nor have an inside source.

I am also aware of what Luck has said at times about learning from Peyton.

But, be honest with yourselves.

You are Luck. You are Luck's dad. Luck's agent. His barber. Now you are the best college QB prospect since Elway right? You are apparently NFL ready and ready to selected first in the draft.

Why in the world would you sit on the bench for more then a year at most? Why?

No, this is not like Rodgers to me. Rodgers was not even the clear first pick in the draft. Rodgers was actually a value pick for the Packers where they got him. Rodgers did not have as much of a choice.

Luck does.

If Peyton stays and is cleared and you get the feeling he will start for years.....why would you come to Indy?

Learning from PM is the dream scenario many say. Then again ask Favre how much a starting legend of his own team wants to play mentor for a young QB when he wishes deep down that his team spent the pick on a player to help win now.

By all means from what we have heard......Irsay is going to spend the first pick on a QB and it's likely Luck. If you take RG3 I firmly believe that will be a huge huge mistake.

But, I still can't grasp my mind around having both Luck/Peyton. I just can't. Going back to Archie's initial stage dad comments last season......it does not fit well in my gut.

I don't want to get into detail and try to contemplate every vastly branching scenario, but you're spot-on. I think the best strategy for our ponderings is to simplify the matter without delving into convoluted trade scenarios.

1) How does the Luck/Manning coexistence pan out over time?

2) How does surrounding Manning with rookie talent procured via a trade of the #1 pick work out for the teams success?

3) How does the franchise fare if we had Luck and no Manning?

..............................................................................................................................................................................

4) OK, here's a new one; What if we trade Luck for a mass of bonus picks, retain a recovered (or mostly recovered) Manning and not long into the season something happens with Manning? Whether related to his current issue or something entirely different? Now we have neither man at QB!

I don't want to get into detail and try to contemplate every vastly branching scenario, but you're spot-on. I think the best strategy for our ponderings is to simplify the matter without delving into convoluted trade scenarios.

1) How does the Luck/Manning coexistence pan out over time?

2) How does surrounding Manning with rookie talent procured via a trade of the #1 pick work out for the teams success?

3) How does the franchise fare if we had Luck and no Manning?

..............................................................................................................................................................................

4) OK, here's a new one; What if we trade Luck for a mass of bonus picks, retain a recovered (or mostly recovered) Manning and not long into the season something happens with Manning? Whether related to his current issue or something entirely different? Now we have neither man at QB!

1) Tough to say. I have to branch out here for a second and forgive me for a bad example but since the cat just walked through the room I have to. I have 19 year old persian cat. She is healthy for her age. All the organs are fine and she does what she needs to do. But, no she can't run around the house like when she was young or not have to shake out kinks when she wakes up. Imagine I brought in tomorrow a young persian kitten. I put the kitten around her and said "Hey no big deal. It's just a friend. You know someone to be here in case you die soon. Be nice to her/him and be friends."

My beloved kitty who has always been an only cat might not take to the young kitten and feel a bit like she was getting pushed away.

In a way thats what Peyton is like. A QB legend like my cat legend. He wakes up like my cat and has to shake out the kinks and like my 19 year old cat has nerve issues at times and twitches. He can't run around the field at full speed like the youngins. So, Luck is the persian kitten flipping it's fluffy tail and prancing around in his youth. Peyton might feel he is getting pushed aside for the new glamour wuss in the house even if he is still the top cat. Think Favre and Rodgers. Sure it worked out in the end but was it easy? Oh heck no. Those two I still believe would punch the crap out of each other if they were allowed to. Heck they probably did.

By all means, don't dump an old family member or pet for a younger one. Family/pets are not business and come before sports stars and always will. I am just using a silly example.

2) Surrounding Manning with rookie talent may not even happen. A lot of the picks you could get with a trade might not be picks for this years draft either. Of course you can use the picks in other rounds but people act like we will get 4 first rounders this year. Hey we are not the Pats.......we can't rob Al Davis. I think even the Pats could rob a dead Al Davis.

And a lot of rookies will probably not live up to expectations right away. Luck might be the safest bet. You know Luck the kitten.

3) With Luck and no Manning who knows. Initially it could be a rocky road (like any rookie in his first year with a crap team) or there could even be a suprise run of wins you don't see coming with a new era around us. But, how do you know until you try? Many might even root against Luck or say he MUST produce a lot his first year or else. Please. Heck we might even lose fans to a team Manning might go to.

4) Well if something happened to Manning and you have no Andrew Luck then we all would groan. Hard. I guess we could always dig up Curtis Painter for a few laughs? The more we talk this out the more it seems Irsay has no choice but to take a new kitten in this draft regardless of Peyton and the desire to surround him with rookies who will certainly be future HOFers.

Also with me I cannot even talk about RG3 as the first pick in the entire draft. I get the feeling that Polian kinda likes him though based on comments and is also on Team Peyton. You think it's a bit odd Polian who sided with Peyton/possibly RG3 was fired? Hmmmm........Also Peyton was upset about the Polian firing. Double hmmmm......Also Dungy said the Colts should take RG3. And there goes Dungy lite aka Caldwell. I would be astonished at this point if Irsay was not set on Luck if he goes QB first. If he isn't then he needs help since he is going to be a good one IMO. Note, I did not say he would be Peyton. I said he would be a good one. Other good QBs are allowed to be in this league and even on the Colts. We have been spoiled by Peyton and have also seen garbage behind him which Polian put there. Polian the genius. Kerry Collins alone made me want this season to end. That was just......embarrassing.

My trust in Polian the drafter really slid in recent years. You realize we could have had Hakeem Nicks over Donald Brown? Right. Rob Gronkowski over Jerry Hughes? That one hurts. And I was high on Gronk too. *sigh*

You want to make it worse? Tony Ugoh won a ring with the Giants. Tony. Ugoh.

I certainly hope this new era drafts a lot better in the next few years then Polian and son did. This past draft might turn out to be a good one. But, some of the previous ones were head scratchers and set this team back.

Well if something happened to Manning and you have no Andrew Luck then we all would groan. Hard. I guess we could always dig up Curtis Painter for a few laughs?

Ahhh....Good times!

I want to speak toward my scenario #4;

Manning will play for the Colts in 2012, I have never wavered from this position. Not to self-inflate my ego, but I suppose that makes me smarter than 90% of all sports media if this indeed comes to fruition.

Okay, so we got our guy. But he is only human and is subject to gruesome injury everytime he takes a snap, regardless of age or past injury. Another point I've been driving at for years and was mostly mocked for.

So......we need a viable back-up. We have the right to claim the best prospect since Manning (Luck).

From here we cannot go further into this scenario until we know one thing for sure; What does Luck think of this? If he makes it clear that he is not interested in being Manning's contingency plan, than what about Griffin? Why would he be any more likely to desire a back-up position when he has the apparent clout to opt otherwise?

I hope that if either Luck or Griffin wish to avoid being Manning's back-up for years, that they have the professional courtesy to espouse such opinion as soon as possible so we can plan accordingly.

Ahhh....Good times! I want to speak toward my scenario #4; Manning will play for the Colts in 2012, I have never wavered from this position. Not to self-inflate my ego, but I suppose that makes me smarter than 90% of all sports media if this indeed comes to fruition. Okay, so we got our guy. But he is only human and is subject to gruesome injury everytime he takes a snap, regardless of age or past injury. Another point I've been driving at for years and was mostly mocked for. So......we need a viable back-up. We have the right to claim the best prospect since Manning (Luck). From here we cannot go further into this scenario until we know one thing for sure; What does Luck think of this? If he makes it clear that he is not interested in being Manning's contingency plan, than what about Griffin? Why would he be any more likely to desire a back-up position when he has the apparent clout to opt otherwise? I hope that if either Luck or Griffin wish to avoid being Manning's back-up for years, that they have the professional courtesy to espouse such opinion as soon as possible so we can plan accordingly.

Good point. And what does Manning feel about Luck breathing over his shoulder? We know #18 can work under pressure on the field, but how will he feel, knowing for the first time in his career, that he could get benched for his young protégé......

Good point. And what does Manning feel about Luck breathing over his shoulder? We know #18 can work under pressure on the field, but how will he feel, knowing for the first time in his career, that he could get benched for his young protégé......

Yea, I have no question that Manning could handle it. It would take a more convoluted scenario to rattle him. Such as; Him getting hurt and having to sit out a few games, meanwhile Luck sets the league on fire. Enter; QB controversy.

He is 1-1 in SB's and the winning team had a balanced squad with some great veterans.

Your balanced squad had the 32nd ranked defense against the run that year. We had no running game and could not stop the run until somehow magically it appears in the playoffs.

I am all for change and wish Andrew the best and would love to have him on the team. This is not a Peyton versus Luck deal for me, I could frankly care less at this point.

TEAMS win champioships and this team " just as fireman stated " has a lot more holes to fill than just one position. The reason we do not have more championships in Indy now is " see line one ".

Yea, I have no question that Manning could handle it. It would take a more convoluted scenario to rattle him. Such as; Him getting hurt and having to sit out a few games, meanwhile Luck sets the league on fire. Enter; QB controversy.

I'm pretty sure he could handle it as well, but it is not a given......your other scenario is also a point well made......all in all, not a bad set of scenarios for the ball club.......

Yes, this is a possibility.

And what gets me upset is that they may be spurred to do the Eli gambit at the behest of Peyton fans.

If this happens, I find it odd, but ironic that Peyton fans do something that ultimately hurt the Colts.

I think it will be more at the media's spurring. Their influence is more impactful and far reaching than a few disgruntled Peyton fans wearing t-shirts and holding up some signs. If and a it's a big if, the Colts decide to stay with Manning, the next big media frenzy will be "Luck not happy to sit". Every talking head from here to Timbuktu will be spewing how "Luck is the best thing since sliced bread and should not and will not sit." We all know how they like to predict things and then present it as fact. It will be similar to "Peyton will not be a Colt next year" stuff. The simple reason is the media does not want Peyton and Luck on the same franchise because as some others have pointed out it cuts down on the number of available storylines for the upcoming season. So they want Luck to start right away and not sit behind Peyton Manning or whoever. If Colts keep Peyton, the media will simply switch gears and focus in on the Luck angle of how this can not now happen.

As far as what Luck himself is thinking, who really knows. My best bet would be that he is simply waiting to see what happens with how the Colts handle the Peyton situation and will go from there. He very well might be swayed by the media fervor. Or he could actually feel confident that he can beat Manning out before too long if Peyton isn't 100% and if Luck himself is really up to his hype. Personally, while I think Luck is the best prospect in the draft, I am still not so sure of all the "best since Elway" hoopla. And yeah, I watched alot of his games this season.

If I am Luck, I will respect the NFL and the draft and be profesional in playing for whomever drafts me.

If I am drafted by the Colts and Manning is healthy, then I study my butt off and do everything within my power to show up at training camp to prove that I am more physically gifted than Manning and can throw all the passes with more accuracy, zip, and when needed, touch. Through my study of film and the playbook, I will do everything I can to show that I also possess an elite understanding and poise to lead the team on the field. After doing all of this, if I see that Manning is better, then I accept my role as backup in year 1 and I do everything I can to acclimate myself to the pro environment and to learn from my hero and one of the best QBs of all time.

In year two, it is my expectation to win the starting role. If I fail to do so and it's because I am outclassed, then I accept my role and spend another year trying to improve to prove that I am the best QB on the roster.

Heading into year 3 I expect to be the starter no matter what. If the organization feels I am not their best option for now AND the future, then I want to be traded somewhere where I can be the starter NOW.

In signing my first pro contract upon being drafted, I map out my timeline expectation and gain assurance that in the preseason of year 2 the job is open to whom the best performer is, regardless of legacy and feelings of past loyalty. The key is, I work out some sort of play me or trade me clause which can be invoked after year 2.

Ergo, I would be willing to accept a 1 year grace period, out of respect for Manning's legacy, but after that I expect to be afforded best man wins the job consideration. By year 3, however, my patience is done and I will have spent long enough apprenticing. The only caveat here is, during my first two years if I see with my own eyes that I am outclassed in ability and performance, then I would simply accept my role as 2nd fiddle because I would know I did not earn the starting role. If I show I am the best, though, then I invoke the play me or trade me clause for year 3.

In other words, I will go to whomever drafts me and I will be the consumate professional in doing everything I can to fairly win the job as starter, and if I lose that competion fairly, then I will do anything and everything I can to win that competition the next year.

for those wanting to trade the pick and build a strong team...let's ask fans of the following if not having a decent QB is paying off for them...Bills, Dolphins, Jags, Chiefs, Seahawks, 49ers, Cardinals, Redskins, Browns, Jets, Vikings, Bucs, <insert others teams here>. You pick Luck and build around him. Steady QB play if very relevant to win the big one.

If I am Luck, I will respect the NFL and the draft and be profesional in playing for whomever drafts me.

If I am drafted by the Colts and Manning is healthy, then I study my butt off and do everything within my power to show up at training camp to prove that I am more physically gifted than Manning and can throw all the passes with more accuracy, zip, and when needed, touch. Through my study of film and the playbook, I will do everything I can to show that I also possess an elite understanding and poise to lead the team on the field. After doing all of this, if I see that Manning is better, then I accept my role as backup in year 1 and I do everything I can to acclimate myself to the pro environment and to learn from my hero and one of the best QBs of all time.

In year two, it is my expectation to win the starting role. If I fail to do so and it's because I am outclassed, then I accept my role and spend another year trying to improve to prove that I am the best QB on the roster.

Heading into year 3 I expect to be the starter no matter what. If the organization feels I am not their best option for now AND the future, then I want to be traded somewhere where I can be the starter NOW.

In signing my first pro contract upon being drafted, I map out my timeline expectation and gain assurance that in the preseason of year 2 the job is open to whom the best performer is, regardless of legacy and feelings of past loyalty. The key is, I work out some sort of play me or trade me clause which can be invoked after year 2.

Ergo, I would be willing to accept a 1 year grace period, out of respect for Manning's legacy, but after that I expect to be afforded best man wins the job consideration. By year 3, however, my patience is done and I will have spent long enough apprenticing. The only caveat here is, during my first two years if I see with my own eyes that I am outclassed in ability and performance, then I would simply accept my role as 2nd fiddle because I would know I did not earn the starting role. If I show I am the best, though, then I invoke the play me or trade me clause for year 3.

In other words, I will go to whomever drafts me and I will be the consumate professional in doing everything I can to fairly win the job as starter, and if I lose that competion fairly, then I will do anything and everything I can to win that competition the next year.

Absolutely brilliant post.

for those wanting to trade the pick and build a strong team...let's ask fans of the following if not having a decent QB is paying off for them...Bills, Dolphins, Jags, Chiefs, Seahawks, 49ers, Cardinals, Redskins, Browns, Jets, Vikings, Bucs, <insert others teams here>. You pick Luck and build around him. Steady QB play if very relevant to win the big one.

Because many posters here think that by passing up on Luck we will magically get a "good" QB in 3 or 4 years. Almost as if Luck is not a sure thing but getting a QB in 3 or 4 years is a sure thing. . .its mind boggling.

A lot of people are not realizing how rare this situation is. The Colts drafted one highly rated prospect in 1998 and are on the verge of taking a 2nd one that is rated even higher in 2012. To take it one step further the Colts had a chance to take Elway and he amongst many scouts is rated as the best prospect of all time. Some say Luck is even better than Elway coming out of college.

How many franchises get a shot at back to back great prospects like this? Extremely rare.

But you know its ok.... we can just skip this one and draft a QB in 3 or 4 years.....