Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade Partner

Let me preface this by saying I have no clue if we want to move back or who we should be targeting but I'm just trying to be realistic if we were to entertain a trade who it would likely be and what it might likely be for. My best guess is that we wouldn't likely move back past 20 and still get our "guy/guys" we have high values on. So my most likely scenario would be with the Denver Broncos. They have the 20th pick...10 total in the draft...and Elway has a history of being aggressive. If Denver covets the best tackle in the draft they may have to move up to get him and I think we would be a good landing spot because of cost of pick and who they need to leap over. In return we would likely get their 3rd and a late pick likely maybe a 6th or 7th. Interestingly they have an extra 3rd this year  ; ).    To me if ( a big if) we move back this would be the spot I could see us moving back to. I think there could be many reasons why both would do it and I will be watching closely to see if we move the pick. 

I like your thought process on this and agree with you.  

In my pea brain the Colts would be happy to take the best of the top two CB or S, top two RB, or one of the first round graded edge rushers at 15.  So having all those gone at 15 is a long shot, but if the QBs fall like they should and people don't go WR crazy, maybe the Colts do have this option - their guy is taken.  

I love later round one or early second round guys like McMillen and Cunningham, or one of the Alabama LBers could fall (Rueben Foster just lost money getting sent home so he'll fall, and it wouldn't shock me if Ryan Anderson does too), and if getting one of those guys at the end of round one means adding a pick in the second or third, I'd be behind it 100%.  

And with Parry's soon-to-be firing, the uncertainty of Doyle, suddenly the list of needs has grown even larger.   Adding picks wouldn't bother me a bit. 

9 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

In my pea brain the Colts would be happy to take the best of the top two CB or S, top two RB, or one of the first round graded edge rushers at 15.  So having all those gone at 15 is a long shot

i dont think that is possible, there are more than 15 guys on the board worthy of our pick even if nobody takes a QB

if foster does fall to us, i would take him at 15

10 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i dont think that is possible, there are more than 15 guys on the board worthy of our pick even if nobody takes a QB

if foster does fall to us, i would take him at 15

I don't think there are more than 15 guys worth the 15th pick.  But that's just me.  I think this draft is top heavy, top 10-12, and then deep at some positions but in the 2-4 round range.  For example, nearly every board has Trubisky in the top 15 and I don't think he's going to be in the NFL past his rookie deal, let alone will the Colts draft him should he fall. And the players around 15 get murky to me. Barnett, Takk, Ross and Davis the WRs, Kizer the ND QB...  And what about real talent but a limited market like OJ Howard?  There is absolutely no guarantee a TE will go in the top 15.  He's good.  He's not the next Gronk, Ozzie, or Winslow (dad not son).   He will be a fit pick.  And 

More directly to the point of the post, I sure don't think the Colts, who have what feels like 1000 needs on D, would draft a QB, OT, WR, or TE with the first pick regardless of grade.  Ramczyk is an injury risk and I don't think worth 15. And he's the only OL remotely rated top 15.  Then add a 3-4 NT which I doesn't think exists worth pick 15 so that won't happen.  We can eliminate G and C too.  So we're down to basically those positions mentioned above.  The most likely to me to be there is the edge guy, Barnett or Takk, but I have issues with both.  Again, just me.  I don't think either is worth the 15th pick, and I also think the Colts will take one of them at that spot.  I'd prefer a trade down or Cook if there, as I like later round LBers just as much as those two.  

One trade I would think about is trading our 1st to the Browns for Dan Shelton their NT and their 2nd . They would have enough #1's to trade for Garopollo.  We would have two high  #2's, a 3 and  two 4's.  Enough to move back into the 1st if we want and we also save cap space on one defensive starter allowing us to still add two or three more players in FA. 

If I'm honest, post combine I don't want us to trade down, since my 2 main draft crushes of the 1st round are Takk McKinley and Haason Reddick. 

McKinley had a good combine. And is likely the 3rd edge off the board at this point. He'll start to get looks around #10 I think so we'll be lucky if he makes it to #15.

Reddick had an outstanding combine and looks great on tape so he is my 2nd option at #15. Although I don't think he falls out of the mid teens which likely would mean no trade back for me.

Reddick and Derek Rivers would be 2 great additions with our #1 and #2.

3 hours ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

I don't think there are more than 15 guys worth the 15th pick.  But that's just me.  I think this draft is top heavy, top 10-12, and then deep at some positions but in the 2-4 round range.  For example, nearly every board has Trubisky in the top 15 and I don't think he's going to be in the NFL past his rookie deal, let alone will the Colts draft him should he fall. And the players around 15 get murky to me. Barnett, Takk, Ross and Davis the WRs, Kizer the ND QB...  And what about real talent but a limited market like OJ Howard?  There is absolutely no guarantee a TE will go in the top 15.  He's good.  He's not the next Gronk, Ozzie, or Winslow (dad not son).   He will be a fit pick.  And 

More directly to the point of the post, I sure don't think the Colts, who have what feels like 1000 needs on D, would draft a QB, OT, WR, or TE with the first pick regardless of grade.  Ramczyk is an injury risk and I don't think worth 15. And he's the only OL remotely rated top 15.  Then add a 3-4 NT which I doesn't think exists worth pick 15 so that won't happen.  We can eliminate G and C too.  So we're down to basically those positions mentioned above.  The most likely to me to be there is the edge guy, Barnett or Takk, but I have issues with both.  Again, just me.  I don't think either is worth the 15th pick, and I also think the Colts will take one of them at that spot.  I'd prefer a trade down or Cook if there, as I like later round LBers just as much as those two.  

i would be fine with barnett, while tak would be one of my last resort choices at this time 

i dont think we can rule out OT or TE either, that goes against what ballard has been saying about drafting for need.  maybe the OTs are not good enough to be on our board, but the TEs are

i actually made a top 14 that i would draft before the combine, but stocks have changed and we lost the coin flip.  i might do another and see how it looks when i have some time tomorrow

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

One trade I would think about is trading our 1st to the Browns for Dan Shelton their NT and their 2nd . They would have enough #1's to trade for Garopollo. 

i dont think hes worth a first, thats why there havent been any takers

i think hes still worth a second, like where he was originally drafted at

30 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Totally would not be ok with Barnett, 4.89 40-yard dash is a huge red flag, especially for someone at only 265 lbs and a natural DE than OLB. Bjoern Werner all over again.

thats not a bad 40 time for somebody who was sick in bed earlier in the day, he should be faster than that when healthy

he does not compare much to werner either.  barnett set a school record for sacks, and he has some pass rushing moves

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i would be fine with barnett, while tak would be one of my last resort choices at this time 

i dont think we can rule out OT or TE either, that goes against what ballard has been saying about drafting for need.  maybe the OTs are not good enough to be on our board, but the TEs are

i actually made a top 14 that i would draft before the combine, but stocks have changed and we lost the coin flip.  i might do another and see how it looks when i have some time tomorrow

TE is another great example of why later might be better.  I'd take Engram over Howard and Njoku all day because I think he is exactly what the Colts need in the passing game.  I think Engram is the better fit, a match up nightmare, and with Allen already on the roster to provide more of a classic TE role, I'd love to see a more dynamic presence.  Plus, meat-head blocking TEs are easier to find. And this only matters if Doyle doesn't re-sign.  They surely won't use their first or second round pick on a TE with money in Allen and Doyle. 

There are only two first round grades at all on OL.  And Ramczyk has a grand total of 14 starts at D1, and struggled against quicker DEs, spins, hands.  Cam Robinson isn't built for the Colts O in my opinion.  Road grader, his weakness is pass protection.  It's just not a great fit.  So do we use pick 15 on a college LT we move to G?  Or RT?  I just don't see it happening.  At pick 28 or 30 it's one thing.  But at pick 15, I'd be shocked.  Especially when you can trade down with someone seeking a WR or QB for sure, and maybe one of those OT.  Or take the edge guy - one of them will be there I think.  I just wouldn't use 15 for Barnett or Takk.  But I get why the Colts would. 

32 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i dont think hes worth a first, thats why there havent been any takers

i think hes still worth a second, like where he was originally drafted at

I'd swap our 1st for Danny Shelton and their late 2nd (52nd pick) and their 3rd (65th pick).

He had 59 tackles, 1.5 sacks last year at NT, only 23 years old, has ideal NT size at 6'2'' 335 lbs. Now I know tackles don't tell the whole story, but 59 tackles for a NT is borderline elite however you look at it; he's stopping lots of plays near the Line of Scrimmage.

Yep! I think out most likely trade parter would indeed be someone looking to move up and grab the OT they like most, and Denver with the their picks is probably the best candidate. I'd love the trade. We could possibly still nab Reddick, and if not then we could maybe still get someone awesome like Sidney Jones or more!