Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good job Clemson Mock Draft

I love seeing all the mock drafts! The 2017 draft has the potential to provide some players to really boost our D! Hopefully Grigson does not screw it up. 

1.) Solomon Thomas DE Stanford

We have shown a penchant for Stanford defensive players in the past, and I do not see it stopping with Thomas. He is an impact defensive player that causes chaos in the offensive backfield. You find ways to get him on the field. I have seen varying rankings for Thomas, but I currently do not see us being able to trade back and still selecting him. 

2.) Budda Baker CB/S Washington  ------- TRADE w/Dallas for 2017 4th round pick 

Baker is an undersized defensive back who can be described in one word: PLAYMAKER! Our defense needs a playmaker like Baker. TJ Green has speed but you only see it after he gets beat because his instincts are terrible. Geathers, Davis, and Robinson each seem to miss a couple of games per year due to injury so Baker provides depth as well as an infusion of talent in the secondary. 

3.) Chidobe Awuzie CB Colorado

Keeping with the theme of depth in the secondary, in addition to a lack of depth we also have Davis entering the last year of his contract. Awuzie is an underrated talent from Colorado who improves the depth while being able to groom for a larger role in 2018. 

4.) Dorian Johnson OG Pittsburgh

I have seen Johnson ranked all over the grid, so this could be way too low for him. He is an athletic guard that seems to fit the mold of what we are looking for now in our offensive linemen. He can compete for the right guard spot and provide quality depth while we wait for Jack Mewhort to get hurt again. 

4.) Vince Biegel LB Wisconsin (from Dallas)

Nasty linebacker with good size. I have seen Vince ranked in the 3rd to 4th round range. He would be a good addition to our linebacking corps. I will say I was pleasantly surprised by the play of Antonio Morrison, particularly later in the year. I was not optimistic about an undersized linebacker that ran a 5 second forty, even if he was injured. I also liked Jackson. 

4.) Kareem Hunt RB Toledo (Comp pick) 

I am not a fan of taking running backs before Day 3 of the draft. History has shown too many productive running backs have been Day 3 picks or free agents. This is shaping up to be a strong draft for running backs, so I feel we can wait until Day 3 to grab a productive runner. Hunt has good size and produced in the MAC. 

5.) Ejuan Price OLB Pitt 

I hope this guy lasts until the 5th round! He is an Elvis Dumervil clone. He is on the shorter side at roughly 5'11" but weighs 250 lbs. He is a tenacious pass rusher who has shown an uncanny ability to get after the passer. 

6.) James Conner RB Pitt

Another guy I hope lasts until later in the draft. Conner is a feel good story after coming back from cancer. He is a bigger back at roughly 6'2" 230 lbs. He reminds me a little of Jordan Howard, now with Chicago. I have seen rankings for Conner lower than I would expect so we shall see. I like adding a couple of talented young running backs behind a young and improving offensive line. 

I'm really optimistic about the young OL talent that we currently have, so I'd try to go a different direction with that first 4th round pick (maybe a pass rusher like Fields from Louisville), but other than that I really like this draft. Thomas is one of my favorites for us in the first, and after all the injuries we had this year, depth in the secondary sounds really, really good. I haven't looked into Biegel yet, but I really like the rest of your later picks (though I'd be really surprised if Conner is there in the 6th).

49 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I really like this draft!  James Conner and Kareem Hunt would be a good back field.  I hope Solomon Thomas is available at 15.  I think he will have a huge combine making him jump up the charts.

I am not sure if you guys have seen Matt Miller's new Big Board on Bleacher Report. I am using that combined with other mock drafts to try and gauge where players may fall. I am surprised that he has James Conner ranked so low. He is bigger and may run a slower forty, and I am not sure how his hands and blocking are, but his style of play reminds me of Jordan Howard. 

I like the idea of bringing in two young running backs to add to the backfield potentially with Frank Gore. Personally, I love the idea of young players learning from one of the greats at their position. TY Hilton still praises Reggie Wayne for teaching him the nuances of the receiver position. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2686251-2017-nfl-draft-big-board-matt-millers-updated-rankings

17 minutes ago, Manning1887 said:

I am not sure if you guys have seen Matt Miller's new Big Board on Bleacher Report. I am using that combined with other mock drafts to try and gauge where players may fall. I am surprised that he has James Conner ranked so low. He is bigger and may run a slower forty, and I am not sure how his hands and blocking are, but his style of play reminds me of Jordan Howard. 

I like the idea of bringing in two young running backs to add to the backfield potentially with Frank Gore. Personally, I love the idea of young players learning from one of the greats at their position. TY Hilton still praises Reggie Wayne for teaching him the nuances of the receiver position. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2686251-2017-nfl-draft-big-board-matt-millers-updated-rankings

Yea I like to look at Matt Millers list each year to just gauge it off of others like Mel Kiper or McShay.  You can get an idea on some players but with Mock's it is fun to see where some have players go and then end up seeing how close you were after the draft.  These guys are paid experts but even they miss on a lot each year. I just think having Gore to be a mentor would help both of these guys if we did draft them.