Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let us talk about the 2 pt conversion

chad72

I should probably edit the first post, but I suppose it boils down to this:  this is the only scenario where, if successful, you were assured a FG would still win it.  On the other hand, you could argue you should have gone for 1, putting the onus on them to go for 2.  They would be forced to go for 2 to get it to a FG lead, as opposed to only having to go for 1, with the unsuccessful two pointer.  I honestly couldn't say what most coaches would do in this situation.  I suppose an aggressive coach like Arians would probably do what Chuck did, and if you trust your offense more than your defense, as, when it comes to the Colts, I generally do, you would probably do what Chuck did. 

I'm not sure there's a right or wrong answer here.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

We are ahead 26-22 after T.Y's TD. If the 2 pt. conversion gets taken back on a pick, don't the Chargers get 2 pts for it? That would have made it 26-24 giving the Chargers a chance to win it with a FG. If we had just kicked it and gone ahead 27-22, even if the Chargers score on a quick long ball strike or kickoff return, we would still have a chance to tie (assuming Chargers go for a 2) or win it with a late FG.

On several fronts, I felt the 2 pt. conversion was not necessary and added unnecessary risk. It worked out, so it is all great but just wanted to discuss it and see if that was something the Colts fans thought about as well. Did Pagano feel that there was a greater probability of Adam V's PAT blocked and returned for 2 pts than Luck's pass being picked off for 2 pts? Is that why we went for a 2 pt. conversion?

I think the incidents of a pick 6 (or pick 2 in this case) are the same or maybe less than a blocked PAT (or 32 yard FG).  Either being returned is two points for the defense.  Chance of a fumble being returned as well.  Might as well put it in your best players hands.