Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Franchise Tags-Wilkerson won't sign tender

I know this has been discussed, but the chances of Wilkerson getting a long term deal are almost nil, and I believe he will sit some games because of how upset he is, and I understand fully if you know the backstory.  We have the money to sign him. We have 13M this year and with carryover 55 next year and that is without the salary cap going up a little more than most think. I know our DL looks like it could become a strength, but you rarely get chances at a guy like this. Right in his prime, and a team who signs him, he would play hard considering how NY has treated him over the last two GM's promising a deal. I believe the Jets would do it for a second considering they are going to go with their two young studs up front for the future. I would love to have a surefire stud taking care of the middle, being able to clog it up and rush the QB, plus with our depth, he would be fresh. Yes it would be probably about 18/M a season, but the way the cap is exploding, it would be nice to have an anchor on the line we can count on. Probably won't happen, but with franchise tag expiration on Friday, Jets may be looking to deal. I believe with the draft the offense is set. Now we need to focus on defense, and we need some studs. I know vontae and Robinson would appreciate it. Just food for thought, but the line is where it always starts. We finally figured it out on the OL with the draft and Philbin to coach. With Anderson, Jones, Langston, Perry, we could have an incredible rotation, which would help the LB's and CB's. I know most of you will say too much money, but if it was Vonn Miller you would not. Wilkerson is not disruptive on that rush level, but throw in the stopping the run, and he has been a true force. Few DL can stop the run and rush the QB for sacks!

First off.....      I don't think the Jets would trade Wilkerson for a 2nd.      Why would they?

Second.....     even if I'm wrong,  and they'd take a 2nd,  odds are we still couldn't get him because someone who will end up with a higher 2nd than we will would offer their 2nd round pick and then we'd be stuck.

We'd have to offer more than a 2nd,  or a 1st, and hope that a team with a higher first wouldn't offer their number one.

We're a long way for getting Wilkerson.     Too many things would have to go right.     And fitting him under the cap this year is easier said than done.....

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

First off.....      I don't think the Jets would trade Wilkerson for a 2nd.      Why would they?

Second.....     even if I'm wrong,  and they'd take a 2nd,  odds are we still couldn't get him because someone who will end up with a higher 2nd than we will would offer their 2nd round pick and then we'd be stuck.

We'd have to offer more than a 2nd,  or a 1st, and hope that a team with a higher first wouldn't offer their number one.

We're a long way for getting Wilkerson.     Too many things would have to go right.     And fitting him under the cap this year is easier said than done.....

The idea is you make the trade after the franchise deadline expires this Friday .  He would play for us this year under the tag.  He would be our player and with our cap space next year  we then sign him to a long term deal.  We are one of a very few teams who could still make the trade with enough cap space to do it this year.  The Jets are really up against the wall with cap space and they need to sign Fitzpatrick soon.  They couldn't get a 1st. round pick for him this year and reports say they would be willing to take less now.  As I have posted before I would make the trade now for all the reasons loudnproudcolt has mentioned.  Too me this trade makes so much sense and you would not be competing with all of the other teams next year.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that Ryan makes the deal.  What an addition he would make!

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The idea is you make the trade after the franchise deadline expires this Friday .  He would play for us this year under the tag.  He would be our player and with our cap space next year  we then sign him to a long term deal.  We are one of a very few teams who could still make the trade with enough cap space to do it this year.  The Jets are really up against the wall with cap space and they need to sign Fitzpatrick soon.  They couldn't get a 1st. round pick for him this year and reports say they would be willing to take less now.  As I have posted before I would make the trade now for all the reasons loudnproudcolt has mentioned.  Too me this trade makes so much sense and you would not be competing with all of the other teams next year.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that Ryan makes the deal.  What an addition he would make!

You completely missed my point.

Even if they'll take a 2nd,  don't you think another team with a higher 2nd round pick would do the deal?   Why wouldn't they?

Our 2nd is not going to be enough.       So, how much more are you willing to offer?

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You completely missed my point.

Even if they'll take a 2nd,  don't you think another team with a higher 2nd round pick would do the deal?   Why wouldn't they?

Our 2nd is not going to be enough.       So, how much more are you willing to offer?

You missed my point.  There are only one or two teams that have the cap space now to absorb a franchise tag hit now for 2016.  We are in the drivers seat to acquire him for this season.  We don't have to wait for 2017 cap space to do the deal. If we wait until next year and he plays this year for the Jets then yes the competition opens up.  If the Jets trade him now they free up the tag cap space which they could use on Fitzpatrick.  If they keep Moe this year then they have to find space somewhere else on the roster, other cuts or restructuring.  I would trade our 1st in 2017 to get Moe if we had to.  He has more than proved himself to be a young elite player in this league.  No guarantee of that with a draft pick.  And he could change our defense this year not 2017.  It is not often you have the opportunity to acquire a player of this caliber and not face heavy competition from the rest of the league.  I think the timing of the circumstances is perfect for us.  I hope we do it. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

You missed my point.  There are only one or two teams that have the cap space now to absorb a franchise tag hit now for 2016.  We are in the drivers seat to acquire him for this season.  We don't have to wait for 2017 cap space to do the deal. If we wait until next year and he plays this year for the Jets then yes the competition opens up.  If the Jets trade him now they free up the tag cap space which they could use on Fitzpatrick.  If they keep Moe this year then they have to find space somewhere else on the roster, other cuts or restructuring.  I would trade our 1st in 2017 to get Moe if we had to.  He has more than proved himself to be a young elite player in this league.  No guarantee of that with a draft pick.  And he could change our defense this year not 2017.  It is not often you have the opportunity to acquire a player of this caliber and not face heavy competition from the rest of the league.  I think the timing of the circumstances is perfect for us.  I hope we do it. 

I'm sorry,   but I think the odds that the Colts are in the drivers seat are right around Slim and None.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm sorry,   but I think the odds that the Colts are in the drivers seat are right around Slim and None.

They are only in the drivers seat if the Jets want to trade him this year.  We would be their best option.  They wanted to trade him before this years draft and found no one to pay their asking price.  Now circumstances have changed. For us too now that Andrew is locked up.  It's really up to the Jets to revisit the idea of moving him this year.  Maybe they won't, maybe we are happy with our DL prospects and will not be interested.  I guess time will tell, but If I was Ryan I would try to make a deal. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

They are only in the drivers seat if the Jets want to trade him this year.  We would be their best option.  They wanted to trade him before this years draft and found no one to pay their asking price.  Now circumstances have changed. For us too now that Andrew is locked up.  It's really up to the Jets to revisit the idea of moving him this year.  Maybe they won't, maybe we are happy with our DL prospects and will not be interested.  I guess time will tell, but If I was Ryan I would try to make a deal. 

I decided to look for myself about available cap space.

Currently the Colts rank 10th.     And we're a distant 10th.     We've got roughly $13 Mill in space.

The top 4 teams,  the 49ers, Browns, Jags and Panthers have roughly 2 to 3 times more than the Colts do.

49ers, $49 Mill,  Browns,  $41 Mill,  Jags,  $40 Mill,  and the Panthers have $28 Mill.    The Colts have $13 Mill.

Even if we're willing to give up a 2nd,  don't you think the 49ers would too?   Or the Browns?    Or the Jags?   Those teams have lots more space than the Colts, PLUS their 2nd round pick will likely be much higher than ours.        That doesn't say "drivers seat" to me...

Here's the whole list for you to see.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I decided to look for myself about available cap space.

Currently the Colts rank 10th.     And we're a distant 10th.     We've got roughly $13 Mill in space.

The top 4 teams,  the 49ers, Browns, Jags and Panthers have roughly 2 to 3 times more than the Colts do.

49ers, $49 Mill,  Browns,  $41 Mill,  Jags,  $40 Mill,  and the Panthers have $28 Mill.    The Colts have $13 Mill.

Even if we're willing to give up a 2nd,  don't you think the 49ers would too?   Or the Browns?    Or the Jags?   Those teams have lots more space than the Colts, PLUS their 2nd round pick will likely be much higher than ours.        That doesn't say "drivers seat" to me...

Here's the whole list for you to see.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Good information.  The article I read specifically mentioned two or three teams that would make sense for them to make a trade for Moe with us being the front runner with the cap space to do it.  I guess we will find out soon.

A DL rotation of Wilkerson, Anderson, Langford, Ridgeway, Parry, and McGill would be scary good. 

Getting Wilkerson would allow the colts to not have to rush back Anderson without missing a beat. And Arthur Jones can't be counted on. 

I wouldn't even hesitate giving up a 2 for him. 

4 hours ago, BProland85 said:

A DL rotation of Wilkerson, Anderson, Langford, Ridgeway, Parry, and McGill would be scary good. 

Getting Wilkerson would allow the colts to not have to rush back Anderson without missing a beat. And Arthur Jones can't be counted on. 

I wouldn't even hesitate giving up a 2 for him. 

Nobody would hesitate.       The deal would be great for the Colts. 

But it would be terrible for the Jets.       The pick would likely be between 50 and 60 next year.     Why would the Jets do that?         They wouldn't.

And that's not going to be the best offer the Jets get for Wilkerson.       If they listen to offers,   they'll do better than a late 2nd round pick for Muhammad Wilkerson.