Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jalen Ramsey suffers small meniscus tear in knee

krunk

On 5/21/2016 at 11:45 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

/snarky attitude inserted/   Actually everything is degenerative as time progressessmiley-wink.gif  /snarky attitude in fun off/

TBH, I'm not one to know what type procedure to use and how to perform it etc ( the A)... I do usually know if A, then B is very likely.  If C, then D.

Remember, it's the cartilage that is of concern.  Bone on bone is very bad and quite painful.  Microfracture is one the procedures used to try to 'grow more cartilage' to repair areas that were damaged.  The cartilage is the shock absorber of our joints. Microfracture (and other procedures I pointed out elsewhere and below) is performed to significantly (hopefully) repair current damage and slow the further breakdown of the {damaged} cartilage.  But here is where I get your point above-  You are correct in that the Super Clot microfracture surgery forms produces a cartilage that is stiffer and not as strong as the original articular cartilage.  And some studies show a microfracture procedure never really covers all of the old cartilage defect either.  Could this have contributed to Ramsey's meniscus tear?  Possibly, I don't know- the orthopods do. We'll wait for the story from them. But what are the alternatives to microfracture procedures?

Osteochondral Autograft or Allograft Transfer System (OATS)

Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation (ACI)

Synthetic Scaffold Resurfacing

Stem Cells

Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP)

And there are some techniques currently only available in Europe. Folks can read up at their leisure if they so desire wish alternative techniques. I read once that microfracture is 75-80% successful at forming fibrocartilage, and yet it's still true not all athletes can ever return to 100% form.

I feel for these kids... not just now, but the painful life their knees may cause them later in life.

When Cruz went down for NY Giants, and it was announced he would need micro fracture surgery, a doctor appeared and talked about the surgery. He said it was an injury that even after fully recovering, you would never have the explosion you had before. When Clowney had the surgery, I went back to thinking what was said, and thought a player who is in the trenches will be able to come back and play, and be almost as productive. But positions like receivers, and edge rushers, that surgery seems like a tough one to come back from. Cruz never has, and we still don't know about Clowney. How this surgery will after Ramsey, only time will tell, but the past does not say good things. As I said, too bad for a kid just coming into the league!

54 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

When Cruz went down for NY Giants, and it was announced he would need micro fracture surgery, a doctor appeared and talked about the surgery. He said it was an injury that even after fully recovering, you would never have the explosion you had before. When Clowney had the surgery, I went back to thinking what was said, and thought a player who is in the trenches will be able to come back and play, and be almost as productive. But positions like receivers, and edge rushers, that surgery seems like a tough one to come back from. Cruz never has, and we still don't know about Clowney. How this surgery will after Ramsey, only time will tell, but the past does not say good things. As I said, too bad for a kid just coming into the league!

Clowney says he's 100% now but the guy had a groin, concussion, meniscus, microfracture, and then in 2nd year a back, ankle, and finally Lisfranc is in his short Texans Tenure.  Not good going in to 3rd year of his Rookie deal unless he lights it up this year and stays healthy.

Some players never get back to 100% of their previous form after microfracture surgery, but can still perform at a high level, and almost certainly higher than not having it at all.  Time will tell... for Ramsey, Jack, and Smith; to a lesser degree, Lawson as well.