Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Comparing 2015 Andrew Luck to '12, '13, and '14....

NewColtsFan

I've said this plenty of times but Luck will never be as good as Peyton. He's a very good Qb but he doesn't have the in game smart and awareness that Peyton had. Luck is a top 10 QB but he'll never be as good as Peyton, Brady, Brees, Big Ben because of his gunslinger mentality. He always wants to make the homerun play, sometimes you have to settle with singles. That's what makes those other QB's so great.

Its obvious that Luck does not have the ability of reading D's and calling the right plays, using audibles based on what the D presents, making adjustments at the line etc...he has a great arm when he is healthy but he has nearly ZERO game 'smarts' compared to someone like Manning.  

This is why Luck is always throwing into coverage, the runs are usually run right into the defense and go no where etc.. Luck does not have the ability to call the right play at the line in the same way that Manning could.

While watching Hasslebeck, when he was playing if you actually paid attention, it was very very dramatic the difference in the old man's ability to read the D and make adjustments compared to Luck.  There were many times that Hasselbeck very obviously made split second changes to the play that caused big things to happen on offense.   We never see Luck do that ever.

It's not saying Luck does not have a great arm(when it is 100%), or that he is not a great athlete.  But it takes much much more than that to be a great QB and it is starting to show that maybe Luck does not have those other things that make a great QB, or at least does not have what it takes to be a QB with his size of contract.

Frankly, I find Luck to be very boring to watch play.  He does not seem to actually put much strategy or thought into the 'game', just goes out every play, drops back and throws and throws.  It's boring because I know what is going to happen nearly every play before it does, do just like the opposing defense does.

Keep in mind that Andrew is only in his fourth year.  This is equivalent to Aaron Rogers' second year as a starter after sitting behind Brett Favre for 3 years.  Imagine how Aaron Rogers would have played had he started in year one behind an offensive line that barely qualifies as middle of the road let alone top collegiate?  I'm saying there are offensive lines in the ACC that are better than ours!  (maybe not a hyperbole)  Given everything he has accomplished with a questionable O-line and a very mediocre defense I'd say he's still learning so don't panic.  Aaron Rogers is now in his 10th year in the league.  Quarterbacks mature with age. 

Here's Brady's 4th year stats to boot

Passing[130] Rushing Sacked Fumbles Team record Year Team G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Y/A TD Int Rtg Att Yds Avg TD Sack Yds Fum Lost W/L (as starter) 2000 NE 1 0 1 3 33.3 6 2.0 0 0 42.4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0-0 2001 NE 15 14 264 413 63.9 2,843 6.9 18 12 86.5 36 43 1.2 0 41 216 12 3 11-3 2002 NE 16 16 373 601 62.1 3,764 6.3 28 14 85.7 42 110 2.6 1 31 190 11 5 9-7 2003 NE 16 16 317 527 60.2 3,620 6.9 23 12 85.9 42 63 1.5 1 32 219 13 5 14-2