Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Overreaction Way Too Early Mock Draft

Through two games, the offensive line play has been poor, our secondary is thin, and our pass rush is non-existent. 

The coaching has likewise been questionable, particularly Pep Hamilton's playcalling. If the line cannot block, why not focus more on quick passes? 

Although it is early, no game appears to be an easy victory moving forward. We could be in store for a top 10 pick. 

2016 Offseason: 

Trade: 

TY Hilton to Cleveland for Joel Bitonio: Cleveland could use an offensive playmaker they can build around. Their QB situation is uncertain, yet inexpensive, thus they have the money to absorb Hilton's big contract. This would be a nice, splashy move for Cleveland to excite the fan base. Bitonio would be a HUGE addition for the Colts. He is an All-Pro caliber guard who would tremendously upgrade the line. 

Free Agency: 

Sign Alex Mack

Mack can opt out of his deal with Cleveland after the season and likely will. Cleveland is just spinning their wheels with their QB carousel. With the money we save by trading Hilton, and likely letting both Fleener and Allen walk, we sign the Pro Bowl center. 

2016 NFL Draft  

Given a Top 10 pick, I am mocking a trade back for a 1st and 2nd in 2016 and a first in 2017. 

1.) Cody Whitehair OT Kansas State 6'4" 305 lbs

Cody will play guard in the pros. He compares favorably to Joel Bitonio. The 2016 draft is shaping up to be a great draft for linemen. IF we have a top 10 pick, it will be tough to trade back, but we still get a great player in Whitehair and the opportunity to add quality depth. Adding Whitehair with the rest of the proposed moves would dramatically enhance the interior of our offensive line. 

2.) Darron Lee LB Ohio State 6'2" 235 lbs

We must improve our linebacker play. Jerrell Freeman is a free agent after the season, and I am lukewarm on signing him to a big deal to bring him back. Lee may play his way into the first round, but as of now he is an early second round pick. He is an athletic linebacker, although not quite as good as Ryan Shazier in 2014. Lee would represent a tremendous upgrade. I like the prospect of teaming him with Sio Moore on the inside. 

2.) Deon Bush S Miami (Fl) 6'1" 205 lbs

Our safeties are aging rapidly. I like the potential pairing of Geathers and Bush. Bush flies all over the field and can provide a center field compliment to Geathers run stuffing ability. 

3.) Ken Ekanem OLB Virginia Tech 6'3" 250 lbs

We need to boost the pass rush. Ekanem is a junior who can provide some pop in the pass rush. 

4.) Kyler Fackrell OLB Utah State 6'5" 250 lbs 

Fackrell missed last season with a knee injury. It generally takes two seasons to get back to form, so his rookie year should prove to be better than his senior year. He has tremendous potential, and again represents an upgrade to our pass rush. 

If anything you trade Dorsett because Hilton is a proven player, arguably top 5 at his position. I'd prefer to keep everyone though.

I like Deon Bush though. Just read a BR article on some promising safeties and I saw his tape. Very Impressive. My mock would be something like:

1. Leonard Floyd, OLB Georgia

2. Vadal Alexander, OG

3. Deon Bush, S Miami

4. Eric Stryker, OLB Oklahoma

5. Joey Hunt, C TCU

If anything you trade Dorsett because Hilton is a proven player, arguably top 5 at his position. I'd prefer to keep everyone though.

I like Deon Bush though. Just read a BR article on some promising safeties and I saw his tape. Very Impressive. My mock would be something like:

1. Leonard Floyd, OLB Georgia

2. Vadal Alexander, OG

3. Deon Bush, S Miami

4. Eric Stryker, OLB Oklahoma

5. Joey Hunt, C TCU

Everyone would rather trade Dorsett as or right now, but Cleveland isn't listening to the trade offer for Bitonio unless we mention Hilton. I do like your draft though the only change I could make would be Pat Elflein instead of Vadal Alexander in the 2nd. Also Striker would be a steal in the 4th.

We ain't trading Hilton, at least it would surprise me very much. So I'll mock up this quick, little thought about mock atm off the top of my head on the basis we keep him.

Trade 1st round pick for a early 2nd + early 4th

2. Dan Voltz, C, Wisconsin

2. Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana

3. Eric Striker, OLB, Oklahoma

4. Wayne Lyons, CB, Michigan

4. Jeremy Cash, S, Duke

5. Kris Frost, ILB, Auburn

7. Antuwan Woods, NT, USC

It's still too early to say and all, also who knows what we do in free agency etc but this O-line and defense would be nice unless there's some irresistible playmaker somehow.

We ain't trading Hilton, at least it would surprise me very much. So I'll mock up this quick, little thought about mock atm off the top of my head on the basis we keep him.

Trade 1st round pick for a early 2nd + early 4th

2. Dan Voltz, C, Wisconsin

2. Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana

3. Eric Striker, OLB, Oklahoma

4. Wayne Lyons, CB, Michigan

4. Jeremy Cash, S, Duke

5. Kris Frost, ILB, Auburn

7. Antuwan Woods, NT, USC

It's still too early to say and all, also who knows what we do in free agency etc but this O-line and defense would be nice unless there's some irresistible playmaker somehow.

I like Kris Frost from Auburn. I would take him in the 5th. Striker seems too light to play inside in a 3-4, better suited as a 4-3 weakside LB. Not sure he lasts to the 3rd round. 

I like Kris Frost from Auburn. I would take him in the 5th. Striker seems too light to play inside in a 3-4, better suited as a 4-3 weakside LB. Not sure he lasts to the 3rd round.

Yeah I just read that he's only 6'0". Maybe he's Vick Beasely though. But the best 3-4 OLB in this draft is Leonard Floyd.

I started thinking about the draft after the NYJ loss, but I'm feeling a little more optimistic after the Tenn win.  Something's wrong with Luck (I believe he's secretly playing injured), but he, the CBs, and the OL should slowly get better/healthier.  I'm guessing we win the division.  I'm very happy with the DL, moderately happy with the DBs (considering the CB injuries), happy with the running game on O and D, and a little disappointed with the LBs.  It will be time next year, though, to "fix" the OGs once and for all.  Here's my mock off-season so far:

• Let Arthur Jones, Herremans, Dwayne Allen, Freeman, Adams, Toler, and D'Qwell walk.
  • Re-sign Fleener and Lowery.
  • Sign three outside FAs: Brandon Brooks (RG, Texans), Walter Thurmond III (S, Eagles), and a back-up QB (best one that is financially feasible).
  • Then draft the following:

1) Cameron Sutton, CB, Tenn., 5'11, 186.  Physical corner who plays with a chip on his shoulder.  I'm not sure if D'Joun is the answer, but Toler's normal injury problems are here this year, and we need to have better options opposite Davis.  D'Joun and Sutton will hopefully provide that...

2) Alex Redmond, OG, UCLA, 6'5, 297.  Not sure how heavy he'll be at draft time, but he has the frame to fill out.  He's a better run-blocker than pass-blocker, but he has the athletic ability to excell at both in the NFL.  The idea is that he'll start at LG and Brandon Brooks will start at RG, with Mewhort at RT.  If Redmond isn't ready right away, Mewhort can always got to LG and Reitz or Good can start at RT (let the coach figure it out).

3) Yannick Ngakoue, OLB, Maryland, 6'2, 255.  Not enough pass-rush so far from this group.  Ngakoue has 4.5 sacks already in a fast start to the season.  Newsome has a future, and Cole should be around next season.  But you can't ever have too many pass-rushers in our system. 

4) Joe Walker, ILB, Oregon, 6'2, 240.  Lazily compared to Kiko Alonzo (due to being from the same school), but he's quick and good in coverage.  The youth movement begins in earnest at ILB - D'Qwell and Freeman walk, and Irving, Sio Moore, Sylvestre, Herrera, and Joe Walker step in.  We'll see how it works out, but at least starters Irving and Moore are veterans with a year of eperience in the system.  I think there would be enough talent in this least important position on our D.

5) Adam Bishnowaty, OT, Pittsburgh, 6'6, 305.  His reliablity in pass pro kept T.J. Clemmings on the right side last year.  And that's what a back-up LT should be in our league - someone who can protect the QB's blind side in the disasterous event that your starting LT goes down.

6) To the Raiders for Sio Moore.

7) To the Browns for Billy Winn.

Through two games, the offensive line play has been poor, our secondary is thin, and our pass rush is non-existent. 

The coaching has likewise been questionable, particularly Pep Hamilton's playcalling. If the line cannot block, why not focus more on quick passes? 

Although it is early, no game appears to be an easy victory moving forward. We could be in store for a top 10 pick. 

2016 Offseason: 

Trade: 

TY Hilton to Cleveland for Joel Bitonio: Cleveland could use an offensive playmaker they can build around. Their QB situation is uncertain, yet inexpensive, thus they have the money to absorb Hilton's big contract. This would be a nice, splashy move for Cleveland to excite the fan base. Bitonio would be a HUGE addition for the Colts. He is an All-Pro caliber guard who would tremendously upgrade the line. 

Free Agency: 

Sign Alex Mack

Mack can opt out of his deal with Cleveland after the season and likely will. Cleveland is just spinning their wheels with their QB carousel. With the money we save by trading Hilton, and likely letting both Fleener and Allen walk, we sign the Pro Bowl center. 

2016 NFL Draft  

Given a Top 10 pick, I am mocking a trade back for a 1st and 2nd in 2016 and a first in 2017. 

1.) Cody Whitehair OT Kansas State 6'4" 305 lbs

Cody will play guard in the pros. He compares favorably to Joel Bitonio. The 2016 draft is shaping up to be a great draft for linemen. IF we have a top 10 pick, it will be tough to trade back, but we still get a great player in Whitehair and the opportunity to add quality depth. Adding Whitehair with the rest of the proposed moves would dramatically enhance the interior of our offensive line. 

2.) Darron Lee LB Ohio State 6'2" 235 lbs

We must improve our linebacker play. Jerrell Freeman is a free agent after the season, and I am lukewarm on signing him to a big deal to bring him back. Lee may play his way into the first round, but as of now he is an early second round pick. He is an athletic linebacker, although not quite as good as Ryan Shazier in 2014. Lee would represent a tremendous upgrade. I like the prospect of teaming him with Sio Moore on the inside. 

2.) Deon Bush S Miami (Fl) 6'1" 205 lbs

Our safeties are aging rapidly. I like the potential pairing of Geathers and Bush. Bush flies all over the field and can provide a center field compliment to Geathers run stuffing ability. 

3.) Ken Ekanem OLB Virginia Tech 6'3" 250 lbs

We need to boost the pass rush. Ekanem is a junior who can provide some pop in the pass rush. 

4.) Kyler Fackrell OLB Utah State 6'5" 250 lbs 

Fackrell missed last season with a knee injury. It generally takes two seasons to get back to form, so his rookie year should prove to be better than his senior year. He has tremendous potential, and again represents an upgrade to our pass rush. 

Talk of trading TY is just silly.  That's a lot of signing bonus money that we gave him that we would just have to swallow in our cap.

Besides good guards are a lot easier to find then a top 5 WR.

Talk of trading TY is just silly.  That's a lot of signing bonus money that we gave him that we would just have to swallow in our cap.

Besides good guards are a lot easier to find then a top 5 WR.

My understanding is that a team may assign a portion of the signing bonus/guaranteed money to the acquiring team. I may be wrong as I have not read the rules. I remember reading part of the issue with Tim Tebow getting trading from the Broncos a couple of years ago dealt with the assumption of the guaranteed portion of Tebow's contract. 

Again, I may be wrong here in my understanding of how NFL trades work. 

My understanding is that a team may assign a portion of the signing bonus/guaranteed money to the acquiring team. I may be wrong as I have not read the rules. I remember reading part of the issue with Tim Tebow getting trading from the Broncos a couple of years ago dealt with the assumption of the guaranteed portion of Tebow's contract. 

Again, I may be wrong here in my understanding of how NFL trades work. 

Generally speaking bonus money has to be paid by the team trading away the player.  However if there is guaranteed salary in the contract then the team trading for the player is on the hook for that.