Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lets Trade The Pick....

Yeah, I think I could work in an NFL front office, in all seriousness... I was thinking about applying to the Ravens and working my way up (Since I live in Baltimore)! My eye for talent and decisons I would describe as "quiet strong!" In my best Meet the Parents impersination!

Hope ur just trying to be funny.

I am pretty sure most people in NFL front offices, had to work their way up... would this be that absurd to suggest?

It seems to me that most are either former players or relatives of front office people. I guess talent rises no matter where it starts, but it would be hard to get noticed. That's a 20 year plan you have, but I wish you good luck!

It seems to me that most are either former players or relatives of front office people. I guess talent rises no matter where it starts, but it would be hard to get noticed. That's a 20 year plan you have, but I wish you good luck!

I think its unrealistic... A guy can dream though right? I think I would make some excellent decisions... but don't we all!

I disagree... I have a tendency to make TERRIBLE life decisions (my wife (NOT a terrible decision!) says I'm immature). My luck seems to carry me through, though!

I ment we all think we would make some excellent decisions! I trade the Luck pick if I am the GM and Peyton is healthy.. there would be quiet a few new players on this team, but mainly on the defensive side of the ball!

I ment we all think we would make some excellent decisions! I trade the Luck pick if I am the GM and Peyton is healthy.. there would be quiet a few new players on this team, but mainly on the defensive side of the ball!

I would read the fan forum and get my ideas from there...

I have been following this forum for years. I Have never has the urge to post like I do right now. All this stuff about drafting a RG at 4 or trading the pick is absurd. Jimmy has said he isn't trading the pick and guess what he's not. Colts fans are the best in the world but you guys don't realize the opportunity that we have right now. Andrew luck is one heck of a player. My man Peyton can't play forever and we all know this is a passing league. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions like him firing polians and getting a new gm moving in a new direction. This decision with luck and manning is a tough one I have to make but it will be for the future of this franchise. Jimmy will make sure the colts can compete with any team in the league for a long time and if that means luck without manning or luck with manning then so be it. Sorry for my rant but just depressing to see colts nation arguing and saying trade the pick and all this stuff. We have a chance to set up our franchise for another 15 years and that's what we will do. Go blue

I have been following this forum for years. I Have never has the urge to post like I do right now. All this stuff about drafting a RG at 4 or trading the pick is absurd. Jimmy has said he isn't trading the pick and guess what he's not. Colts fans are the best in the world but you guys don't realize the opportunity that we have right now. Andrew luck is one heck of a player. My man Peyton can't play forever and we all know this is a passing league. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions like him firing polians and getting a new gm moving in a new direction. This decision with luck and manning is a tough one I have to make but it will be for the future of this franchise. Jimmy will make sure the colts can compete with any team in the league for a long time and if that means luck without manning or luck with manning then so be it. Sorry for my rant but just depressing to see colts nation arguing and saying trade the pick and all this stuff. We have a chance to set up our franchise for another 15 years and that's what we will do. Go blue

Jim?? That you? Lol

I would hope for more value then that, but I have and will continue to be on the trade the pick side..

We would, I just didn't feel like working the trade chart. That is what we would for sure get.

Good thing Cleveland doesn't need anything more than a QB, or else they wouldn't trade with us......o......wait...........

No one is going to pry this pick from our hands. Its just not going to happen. It makes ZERO sense.

An why does it make zero sense? Do you even watch game tape? Can you tell me what makes Andrew Luck this can't miss prospect? Or are you a victim of what the media seems to think. If Robert Griffin is a legit 6'2 he is every bit the prospect luck is. Luck has the same thing Aaron Rodgers has in the MVP race right now. He has the media on his side and been hyped so much it makes it impossible to talk about anyone else.

Wanna be our gm. U r a great scout u new manning and Rogers would be good and luck isn't all that. Irsay is taking apps

Yes cause your opinion is so much more vaidated. I knew Blaine Gabbert and Sam Bradford would suck, make me the GM. Don't act like these guys are infallible.

An why does it make zero sense? Do you even watch game tape? Can you tell me what makes Andrew Luck this can't miss prospect? Or are you a victim of what the media seems to think. If Robert Griffin is a legit 6'2 he is every bit the prospect luck is. Luck has the same thing Aaron Rodgers has in the MVP race right now. He has the media on his side and been hyped so much it makes it impossible to talk about anyone else.

Ok lets break it down like this.....Lets say the Colts are picking 3rd....Would you want the Colts to trade this draft, and 2 more drafts, just to move up to get Luck? If you say "No, they shouldn't do that", then I would agree....So if we don't want our team selling everything it has just to acquire Luck, why do we think OTHER teams are going to sell us everything in an attempt to acquire Luck?!?!?!

All these 'other' teams you think are just going to GIVE us all these picks to take Luck? Why would they do that?! They have needs that need filled as well.....

What does "hype" have to do with any of this?! I could care less about the talents of RG3/Luck at this point in time, I just would like for someone to explain to me why they think other teams in the NFL are just going to give us everything they have in the next several years for Luck, or they could just keep all there picks and go with RG3/Moore/Landry or sign Matt Flynn?!

Ok lets break it down like this.....Lets say the Colts are picking 3rd....Would you want the Colts to trade this draft, and 2 more drafts, just to move up to get Luck? If you say "No, they shouldn't do that", then I would agree....So if we don't want our team selling everything it has just to acquire Luck, why do we think OTHER teams are going to sell us everything in an attempt to acquire Luck?!?!?!

All these 'other' teams you think are just going to GIVE us all these picks to take Luck? Why would they do that?! They have needs that need filled as well.....

What does "hype" have to do with any of this?! I could care less about the talents of RG3/Luck at this point in time, I just would like for someone to explain to me why they think other teams in the NFL are just going to give us everything they have in the next several years for Luck, or they could just keep all there picks and go with RG3/Moore/Landry or sign Matt Flynn?!

Yea because all teams certainly have the same draft board. If Cleveland values Luck more and thinks he will be the savior to their franchise they will pull the trigger it is that simple. An look at the Falcons last year how much they gave up to get Julio Jones...a wide reciever. It happens.

Yea because all teams certainly have the same draft board. If Cleveland values Luck more and thinks he will be the savior to their franchise they will pull the trigger it is that simple. An look at the Falcons last year how much they gave up to get Julio Jones...a wide reciever. It happens.

So Cleveland is only Luck away from being a good team? They don't need any other position? No RB/WR/OL/DL/DBs, only QB for the next 3+ years? In that division. Thats what you think Mike Holmgren wants to do? In Cleveland, the town scorned by Couch/Quinn? All this ASSUMING they want Luck over RG3/Moore/Landry/ or Matt Flynn. You are really stretching.

Im sick of the Falcons being thrown around as an example. the Falcons believed they were 1 player away from a SB. That player was Julio. What team thinks they are a rookie QB away from a SB?!?! Entirely different circumstances.

So Cleveland is only Luck away from being a good team? They don't need any other position? No RB/WR/OL/DL/DBs, only QB for the next 3+ years? In that division. Thats what you think Mike Holmgren wants to do? In Cleveland, the town scorned by Couch/Quinn? All this ASSUMING they want Luck over RG3/Moore/Landry/ or Matt Flynn. You are really stretching.

Im sick of the Falcons being thrown around as an example. the Falcons believed they were 1 player away from a SB. That player was Julio. What team thinks they are a rookie QB away from a SB?!?! Entirely different circumstances.

If you are referring to Landry Jones or Kellen Moore as their other options they have A LOT more problems. Neither will accomplish anything in the NFL even though i really hope Kellen Moore does. An actually Cleveland does have a lot of those pieces. Haden is one of the best CB's in the league. They have a top 3 tackle and center, and their right tackle isn't too shabby. Peyton Hillis had an injury plagued year and they can plug most runnigbacks behind that left side of the line and have some success. The falcons were 1 player away from a super bowl? Really? You're going to tell me a rookie wide reciever takes them that much closer to a super bowl? Nice try. So once again they are better off getting luck. I think we are better off getting RG3 and having him sit for a year while we collect a few more picks.

If you are referring to Landry Jones or Kellen Moore as their other options they have A LOT more problems. Neither will accomplish anything in the NFL even though i really hope Kellen Moore does. An actually Cleveland does have a lot of those pieces. Haden is one of the best CB's in the league. They have a top 3 tackle and center, and their right tackle isn't too shabby. Peyton Hillis had an injury plagued year and they can plug most runnigbacks behind that left side of the line and have some success. The falcons were 1 player away from a super bowl? Really? You're going to tell me a rookie wide reciever takes them that much closer to a super bowl? Nice try. So once again they are better off getting luck. I think we are better off getting RG3 and having him sit for a year while we collect a few more picks.

Thomas/Haden/ and Mack are pretty good, but thats who youre relying on?! Hillis has run himself outta town. Why should we draft RG3, but the Browns shouldnt?!

And yes, Atlanta came out and said that last year when they drafted him. You know, the team that was 13-3, won the NFC South, then got there brains bashed in at home by the #6 seed Packers 48 to 21.

Weren't we, as Colts, just a Peyton Manning away from being a good team? If Luck reaches his potential, he will be THAT kind of a difference maker.

And if the Browns believe Luck is eventually going to be good enough to take a bad team to the superbowl, why shouldn't they go get him? They can still build through low draft picks and free agency.

Weren't we, as Colts, just a Peyton Manning away from being a good team? If Luck reaches his potential, he will be THAT kind of a difference maker.

And if the Browns believe Luck is eventually going to be good enough to take a bad team to the superbowl, why shouldn't they go get him? They can still build through low draft picks and free agency.

Browns also have a large amount of cap room they need to spend under CBA regulations... they could get their franchise young QB and rebuild in free agency and low end draft picks! Fully agree with that notion, and it makes more sense for them to do that while they ahve the ammo to get a good signal caller.

So your saying the Browns believe Luck to be as good as Manning and thats why they will do it?! Do you not see the massive strides and leaps you guys are making to jump to your conclusions and how unrealistic they are!?!!?

I think Luck is the 'real deal' but thats just my opinion, I could be wrong. But even with that said, there is no way you give all that up to get him when those other QB's are avail. There is just ZERO way.

Trucking, I saw that list of guys you wanted. Robert Griffin, Mark Barron, Nose Tackle(maybe Dontari Poe or the guy from washington),Cornerback(Chase Minifield, Stephen Gilmore, or Jayron Hosely).....Why wouldn't the Browns just take all of them instead!?

It's not just the Browns. Half the league and ALL of the media seem to have that impression.

I dont know how the Browns, or any NFL team will say:

"Here's everything we own for the next 3 years for Andrew Luck".....when they can get RG3/Landry Jones/Kellen Moore for FREE. AS well as filling the rest of there own teams needs.

Get on the Browns boards. they are dying for a WR over there, and have already accepted RG3 as the 4th pick, and using the ATL pick on a WR. Thats 2 needs filled in 1 round.

I would hope for more value then that, but I have and will continue to be on the trade the pick side..

Here's a better option. Make a decision on who you would really like to have in the draft besides Luck. Set up a conditional trade with Cleveland for Luck. If your player is still there when Cleveland's #4 pick comes up, then you make your decision on whether to trade or not. If you've got your eye on another player, then why trade pre-draft? Make sure your guy is there and then make the trade.

Here's a better option. Make a decision on who you would really like to have in the draft besides Luck. Set up a conditional trade with Cleveland for Luck. If your player is still there when Cleveland's #4 pick comes up, then you make your decision on whether to trade or not. If you've got your eye on another player, then why trade pre-draft? Make sure your guy is there and then make the trade.

As long as they trade for a LARGE bounty I will be happy!

Thomas/Haden/ and Mack are pretty good, but thats who youre relying on?! Hillis has run himself outta town. Why should we draft RG3, but the Browns shouldnt?!

And yes, Atlanta came out and said that last year when they drafted him. You know, the team that was 13-3, won the NFC South, then got there brains bashed in at home by the #6 seed Packers 48 to 21.

Dude how clueless are you? The colts are not the browns. Stop comparing what we do to what they do that is just completely ignorant. We already have a quarterback in Peyton Manning IF he is healthy. They could have luck rated more highly than Griffin. If they believe he is the best player for them right now that could lead to 10+ years of success you go for it. I believe Griffin if he is 6'2 can be just as good as luck if not better. Our team is in a better position to take a shot on Griffin and collect some young talent that could help us right now. These are 2 different situations.

DRAFT BLACKMON What a freak

this is what im thinking trade down pick up all the picks take blackmon with the first traded pick and if you havnt seen his stuff look at the sports science video of this guy. he's 6'1" and has a leap higher then plexico burrass' WOW. and he has amazing hands and catches everything thrown his way. if we trade with miami well probably get brandon marshall as well along with a 2nd and another 1st and second next year. can you imagine both blackmon and marshall ont eh same team?? but then again if we trade with cleveland we still get blackmon and gain even more picks the next few years as well.

Dude how clueless are you? The colts are not the browns. Stop comparing what we do to what they do that is just completely ignorant. We already have a quarterback in Peyton Manning IF he is healthy. They could have luck rated more highly than Griffin. If they believe he is the best player for them right now that could lead to 10+ years of success you go for it. I believe Griffin if he is 6'2 can be just as good as luck if not better. Our team is in a better position to take a shot on Griffin and collect some young talent that could help us right now. These are 2 different situations.

How am I comparing what we do to what they do? How is our team in a better position to take a shot on Griffin? Why would the Browns not need to collect young talent that could help them right now?

You calling me clueless, because I say a team isn't going to give up 4 first round picks plus more, to move up a total of 3 spots... To grab a position that is currently filled by a young and healthy player. The position that the City of Cleveland has been scorned by twice in the past 10 years....In a division led by defenses, and QB's taken no higher than 11th overall..........You are a silly goose......

Is the new GM bringing one of those watches from Clockstoppers or something so he can make all these picks with no one noticing?

Very possibly, or some time alteration devise where we can draft Luck, go back in time, then draft Claiborne, then go back in time then draft the others while simotainiously keeping everyone we draft.

see if a team thinks luck is worth giving up all those picks they will do it. whether or not it makes them contenders or pretenders. and according to alot of people on this board luck is as good if not better then peyton and peyton had decent WR's which cleveland has. do you think reggie, marvin, and dallas is going to have the carreers they have had without peyton manning? of course not. manning made them who they are today. so im thinking the trade is very possible. for me blackmon is more valuable then luck is to this team right now. how many have been dissapointed in dropped pases the past three years on this board? alot. blackmon would take care of alot of that. sorry but true

see if a team thinks luck is worth giving up all those picks they will do it. whether or not it makes them contenders or pretenders. and according to alot of people on this board luck is as good if not better then peyton and peyton had decent WR's which cleveland has. do you think reggie, marvin, and dallas is going to have the carreers they have had without peyton manning? of course not. manning made them who they are today. so im thinking the trade is very possible. for me blackmon is more valuable then luck is to this team right now. how many have been dissapointed in dropped pases the past three years on this board? alot. blackmon would take care of alot of that. sorry but true

Browns fan here. Interesting discussion you guys have been having. There are 3 camps amongst Browns fans right now. They either want to stand pat/sign a QB like Flynn, draft Luck or draft RG3. I tend to fall into drafting one of the QBs if possible. I can see the Browns giving up 3 1st rounders this yrs 2 plus next yrs but not much more than that. Maybe next yrs 3rd or 4th as well. That would be over paying for moving up 3 spots but would give the Colts ammo to reload. Give you guys the 3 picks in the top 33 this yr plus 2 first next yr. Browns have holes, they need a #1 WR a RT, LB, corner and safety. as pressing needs outside of a QB. Some of those can be filled in FA. If the Browns are aggressive in FA I would expect them to try to trade up for either Luck or RG3. If they aren't signing players in FA then I expect they probably won't trade up. I like both QBs I just think Luck is more ready to go on opening day than RG3 but I like him alot too and he probably does have a higher potential ceiling than Luck.

How am I comparing what we do to what they do? How is our team in a better position to take a shot on Griffin? Why would the Browns not need to collect young talent that could help them right now?

You calling me clueless, because I say a team isn't going to give up 4 first round picks plus more, to move up a total of 3 spots... To grab a position that is currently filled by a young and healthy player. The position that the City of Cleveland has been scorned by twice in the past 10 years....In a division led by defenses, and QB's taken no higher than 11th overall..........You are a silly goose......

You really are completely inept at following logic. You keep saying "well if we were in their position would you want to trade up" are scenarios are completely different.First, they are not going to give up 4 1st round picks no team will do that especially when they are trading 3 spots up. Andrew Luck would be a better move for them. He can play right now for them. We have the ability to sit RG3 for a year an would be really beneficial to him and long term hopefully will be the better quarterback. Detroit was scorned by picking bad receivers and they landed Calvin Johnson eventually. You have to have a quarterback in this league to win. A young an healthy player thats nice you forgot to include he sucks and is taking the team no where. Curtis Painter is young and healthy, but he sucks.

Sounds like Mr. Irsay to me.

******************* IN IRSAY i TRUST ********************

I agree that trading the number 1 pick makes sense. Why draft a Qb that does not want to come to our team unless he starts. Do a trade and go after a CB (Claiborne or Kirkpatrick). If the trade nets us a second 1st round pick, then go after a WR (Blackmon, Floyd,Jefferys. Every one is so hooked on Luck and RG3 that they are not looking any further for a QB. There are other QBs (Tannehill, Foles, Manuel if he comes out).