Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Debris From Lucas Oil Stadium Roof Injures 3

chad72

LOL...what?

Your reply has nothing to do with my post.

Ok, let's use your automobile ignition comparison. If they continue to open the roof with people inside without finding the cause of the failure and making the appropriate fix to ensure it doesn't happen again, that would be like the auto manufacturer NOT having the recall and telling the consumers "we will not fix this, fend for yourselves."

I can guarantee if they ignore the issue and it happens again someone will be in deep doodoo.

And who said anything about living life based on what might happen?

Actually my reply to you was right on point because you keep making a distinction between a mechanical failure/design flaw & an accident which is really irrelevant in my estimation. Where are you getting this outlandish notion that I said Irsay was off the hook for any damages that led to personal injuries? I never said anything close to that.

The original difference of opinion I had with another forum member was this idea that you don't scrap a rule change [opening a stadium roof at halftime with fans present] simply because a few people got hurt. Does a NAVY pilot lose his wings forever just because mechanical failure forced him/her to eject out of the cockpit & his plane crashed into someone's house? No, the military settles the matter with the family financially, crash experts retrieve the black box, & investigators determine what caused the crash: Mechanical error, pilot error, or weather conditions. Eventually, the pilot goes up in the air again doing maneuvers etc. etc.

You don't terminate a policy just because a freak accident occurred on your watch as an owner. Yes, I said Irsay probably paid those patients hospital bills & a little extra knowing Jim. It's the cost of doing business.  

My line about you can't live your life based on what might happen was in direct reference to scraping the idea that we can never open LOS's roof again with people inside because there might be a 1 in a million chance a bolt might fall from the rafters again. You don't make fiscal decisions based on safety fears that will in all likelihood will never be replicated in the exact same circumstance ever again. It's the same reason airlines can't implement every safety measure for their passengers to avoid a crash because even if they could do this, then most passengers couldn't afford the price of a ticket to get the 727or 747 bird off the ground.  

Generally, when the government issues a recall for your vehicle the company is acknowledging a design flaw or mechanical problem that they have agreed to fix at no additional cost to the customer. They are not flipping the customer off. 

Sure. But if I paid 999 gazillion dollars for a new stadium just 7 years ago and it was coming apart, I would certainly pitch a complaint. 

Of course...who wouldʻnt... being a contractor myself I know these things should not happen but they do because of the bidding wars that goes on between the construction companies...and itʻs worse if you have friends or family in the same business and go with theyʻre company because they put in the lowest bid...not saying thatʻs whatʻs going on I donʻt know who or what company built the stadium...but do know I had a ton of work and problems from shoddy work from lower bidders that cost these homeownerʻs and businessʻs BIG $

Actually my reply to you was right on point because you keep making a distinction between a mechanical failure/design flaw & an accident which is really irrelevant in my estimation. Where are you getting this outlandish notion that I said Irsay was off the hook for any damages that led to personal injuries? I never said anything close to that.

The original difference of opinion I had with another forum member was this idea that you don't scrap a rule change [opening a stadium roof at halftime with fans present] simply because a few people got hurt. Does a NAVY pilot lose his wings forever just because mechanical failure forced him/her to eject out of the cockpit & his plane crashed into someone's house? No, the military settles the matter with the family financially, crash experts retrieve the black box, & investigators determine what caused the crash: Mechanical error, pilot error, or weather conditions. Eventually, the pilot goes up in the air again doing maneuvers etc. etc.

You don't terminate a policy just because a freak accident occurred on your watch as an owner. Yes, I said Irsay probably paid those patients hospital bills & a little extra knowing Jim. It's the cost of doing business.  

My line about you can't live your life based on what might happen was in direct reference to scraping the idea that we can never open LOS's roof again with people inside because there might be a 1 in a million chance a bolt might fall from the rafters again. You don't make fiscal decisions based on safety fears that will in all likelihood will never be replicated in the exact same circumstance ever again. It's the same reason airlines can't implement every safety measure for their passengers to avoid a crash because even if they could do this, then most passengers couldn't afford the price of a ticket to get the 727or 747 bird off the ground.  

Generally, when the government issues a recall for your vehicle the company is acknowledging a design flaw or mechanical problem that they have agreed to fix at no additional cost to the customer. They are not flipping the customer off.

Sorry, I combined two thoughts into one and should have seperated into two posts. The Irsay responsibility thing was it's own seperate thought.

Sorry, your sensational comparisons are not valid.

No one is saying shut down the stadium. I said the roof should not be opened with people inside until they find the cause, fix it and do their best to make sure it doesn't happen again. It was not some "freak accident". Something caused it to happen, they just need to find out what. Yes, it may never happen again but you can't be certain and I hope Jim wont take that chance.

Of course...who wouldʻnt... being a contractor myself I know these things should not happen but they do because of the bidding wars that goes on between the construction companies...and itʻs worse if you have friends or family in the same business and go with theyʻre company because they put in the lowest bid...not saying thatʻs whatʻs going on I donʻt know who or what company built the stadium...but do know I had a ton of work and problems from shoddy work from lower bidders that cost these homeownerʻs and businessʻs BIG $

Yeah, bidding wars among contractors probably does play a role in quality control of stadium construction or upgrades 12DL. I always wonder about how closely state legislatures with taxpayer money go about selecting stadium contractors or the company in charge of building the stadium from the ground up. It's probably better that I don't know. Ignorance sometimes is bliss. 

Sorry, I combined two thoughts into one and should have seperated into two posts. The Irsay responsibility thing was it's own seperate thought.

Sorry, your sensational comparisons are not valid.

No one is saying shut down the stadium. I said the roof should not be opened with people inside until they find the cause, fix it and do their best to make sure it doesn't happen again. It was not some "freak accident". Something caused it to happen, they just need to find out what. Yes, it may never happen again but you can't be certain and I hope Jim wont take that chance.

I have tried to explain myself quite thoroughly to you according to my perspective & you are certainly free to disagree with my conclusions. If my salient points go over your head that's really not a concern of mine. 

Wait? What? "Yes, it may never happen again but you can't be certain and I hope Jim wont take that chance." So what are you advocating for a roof that Jim can open but never does or a roof that is only opened with no fans present? 

Just because you classify my comparisons as "sensational" doesn't mean that my point of view is invalid. You can respectfully disagree naturally, but they are not without merit. 

Yeah, bidding wars among contractors probably does play a role in quality control of stadium construction or upgrades 12DL. I always wonder about how closely state legislatures with taxpayer money go about selecting stadium contractors or the company in charge of building the stadium from the ground up. It's probably better that I don't know. Ignorance sometimes is bliss. 

The laws and rules for contractors are really good but just like the NFL not everyone follows it

Vikings construction worker (roofer) died last week while working on their new stadium.

"The death of a construction worker on the Minnesota Vikings' new stadium occurred after he slid down a roof, broke through a guardrail and fell to an elevated platform below, said a report released Tuesday on the state Department of Labor and Industry's fatality investigation page."

This news will probably cause kids everywhere to be hesitant about a future in construction