Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Was Watching Melvin Gordon's Tape And I Had 2 Takeaways

1. They seldom try to involve him in the passing game. In fact, before this season it was even more glaring. I looked up his numbers, 22 career catches at Wisconsin and only 3 before this year. 

2. Rob Havenstein is such a solid run blocker. Obviously he's not an agile guy and will never be a LT but if we could coach him up to being a decent pass blocker (and I know that's a pretty critical if) I believe he could man the RT position for the next decade. Depending on how confident they are that they can improve his game as a pass blocker I could see moving up in the 3rd round to go get him, and I'd support the move. 

Havenstien is way to stiff to play his hardest in the league for 5+ years. He'll be out of the league in a couple years. 

Also, I don't think he'll ever become even an adequate pass blocker, he'll always be very poor in that area.

You know, he was actually better than I expect in pass protection vs college competition too. It's the fact that he's kind of stiff and slow footed that worries me about how that translates in the faster NFL game, but on tape I actually saw a guy who was pass blocking pretty well against the college competition in addition to dominating in the ground game.

I do not have a crystal ball, however, maybe he won't last long in this league I don't know. 

Havenstien is way to stiff to play his hardest in the league for 5+ years. He'll be out of the league in a couple years. 

Also, I don't think he'll ever become even an adequate pass blocker, he'll always be very poor in that area.

Most Badger OL don't have pass blocking as a strength due to being a running team, they tend to dominate in the run.  And yet, there are alot of Badger OL in the NFL... I wouldn't put it past the big guy.  Rick Wagner had similar situation, he was drafted in the 5th round by the Ravens and last year became the starting RT. He also had a big weakness in pass protection.