Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who else is going to be released?

theanarchist

I know we have disagreed about this cut several times as I don't believe we will cut Gosder but in the event one of us is wrong, the bet is a beer will have to be consumed for the winner and the loser, deal?

I haven't been making predictions about this, just saying what I think should happen. But I'll go with that. That's two rounds for the loser, right?

True, but we have to pay the piper sooner or later.  That just makes it later.  

All your details were accurate, as I understand them.

But to the above, the truth is that we've already paid the piper. The dead money is already gone, it just hasn't been accelerated to the cap. And once you start looking at the cap as a total amount, and not just a year to year figure, it's easier to understand that there's no reason to keep paying a player just because you can't necessarily save a lot of cap space now.

In the case of Cherilus, we already have $8.7m that we have to account for, but it's all already been paid. If we keep him, it's an extra $4m to that figure. If you think he has a chance to be a meaningful contributor next year, that's one thing. I'm not convinced that he will be, between the knee and his other ailments, so I think we should cut him. I'd say that even if we couldn't post-June 1 him. To me, it's just good money after bad at this point.

Trent if we can get out of his guaranteed money and Donald Thomas I would say.  Cherilus I expect to keep.  

See Landry got released because you can replace him with Sergio Brown and you really didn't lose much.

But as overpaid as Goster is. . . you can't just replace Goster with Joe Reitz and say you didn't lose much.  Joe Reitz is just not a viable starter at tackle. . . Maybe he is at guard, but not at tackle. 

We'll need Goster for at least one more season.  Maybe then if we get a tackle in the draft we can put him at RT in 2016.  

I don't believe that there are any plans to move Mewhort over to tackle either.  I think we drafted him to play guard.