Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Indy Colts Clearinghouse Sweepstakes

Mouthfire

Is it just me, or are the Colts really clearing house of a lot a dead weight this year?

Diem and Hayden's big contracts.... Gone.

Session's potentially big contract.... Gone. (although it would've been nice to keep him)

Dan Muir and Aaran Franscisco, who could've potentially been had for cheap.... Poof.

Even perennial fan favorite, Mike Hart with his relatively cheap contract.... Gone.

It should be clear to anyone things are different in Indy now. Decision making is trending in a much better direction now.

1. Bob Sanders - Waste of a roster spot for years and tons of cash. Gone.

2. Mike Hart - Waste of a roster spot for years and some cash (almost 2M for a grand total of about 70 carries). Gone.

3. Kelvin Hayden - Way overpaid to the tune of elite money and injured. Gone. In his case, it would appear a line was drawn when viewing value because this cut doesn't seem to do much to help the cap over the short term. His contract was a mistake from the get-go but instead of living with it and commiting cap suicide the error was corrected. I don't feel bad for Hayden because he basically got paid 22M for one year of work.

4. Ryan Diem - His case is the one that stands out from the others because he has been healthy and still able to contribute. In the past the team was far more apt to allow a healthy contributor an opportunity to play out his contract. Not the case any longer it would appear. Still.....they handled it honorably with Diem because he was invited to stay but at a more reasonable cost. I think he should have taken it but that's for him alone, of course.

5. ***Anthony Gonzalez - I think he's still a Colt because of the circumstances of his IR designation last year. That & he's cheap. If doesn't play a full season this year and contribute he's gone.

Other players like Session, Muir, Francisco...I don't include in the group above ^ because they weren't big money and/or did not have their contract shortened. They're all in the "more usual cuts" category. Anyone that can't see a shift in operational doings this year in Indianapolis is blind.

It should be clear to anyone things are different in Indy now. Decision making is trending in a much better direction now.

1. Bob Sanders - Waste of a roster spot for years and tons of cash. Gone.

2. Mike Hart - Waste of a roster spot for years and some cash (almost 2M for a grand total of about 70 carries). Gone.

3. Kelvin Hayden - Way overpaid to the tune of elite money and injured. Gone. In his case, it would appear a line was drawn when viewing value because this cut doesn't seem to do much to help the cap over the short term. His contract was a mistake from the get-go but instead of living with it and commiting cap suicide the error was corrected. I don't feel bad for Hayden because he basically got paid 22M for one year of work.

4. Ryan Diem - His case is the one that stands out from the others because he has been healthy and still able to contribute. In the past the team was far more apt to allow a healthy contributor an opportunity to play out his contract. Not the case any longer it would appear. Still.....they handled it honorably with Diem because he was invited to stay but at a more reasonable cost. I think he should have taken it but that's for him alone, of course.

5. ***Anthony Gonzalez - I think he's still a Colt because of the circumstances of his IR designation last year. That & he's cheap. If doesn't play a full season this year and contribute he's gone.

Other players like Session, Muir, Francisco...I don't include in the group above ^ because they weren't big money and/or did not have their contract shortened. They're all in the "more usual cuts" category. Anyone that can't see a shift in operational doings this year in Indianapolis is blind.

Good post and I can definitely see a different approach in the way we are doing things and I for one am glad. I would like to have seen Session stay but he wasn't worth matching what Jax was offering so he made the decision to go. Change is sometimes hard to accept but maybe it's time to change and not keep paying players to be injured every year. ( Sanders ) He was great at one time but in the last few years we paid him to be injured after a couple of games. We have enough cheer leaders and don't need to add players to their list. That's just my opinion of course but we need to see how this approach pans out. Hopefully it will be much better. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I hope this tells Gonzalez something like buck up or this will be your last year also. :FBshocked:

It should be clear to anyone things are different in Indy now. Decision making is trending in a much better direction now....

Anyone that can't see a shift in operational doings this year in Indianapolis is blind....

Chris Polian seems not to want to carry players as long as his dad did. A good change in most cases.

Looks like Chris is putting his stamp on the team.

Well lets hope it works but at least we won't be paying for players that aren't producing. I know anyone can get hurt that is part of the game but when it seems to be repeat playuers it has to tell you something. I have a strong feeling that we are going to gat a surprise with a signing of someone we didn't expect. Don't know why but since we're cleaning house something is in the works. I guess it's wait and see. :excite:

Oh by the way how do you get the spell check to work?

Well lets hope it works but at least we won't be paying for players that aren't producing. I know anyone can get hurt that is part of the game but when it seems to be repeat playuers it has to tell you something. I have a strong feeling that we are going to gat a surprise with a signing of someone we didn't expect. Don't know why but since we're cleaning house something is in the works. I guess it's wait and see. :excite:

Oh by the way how do you get the spell check to work?

I also think we might get a surprise signing or two...mostly because of the circumstances this year presents. With all of the FAs and UDFAs (similar to a whole new draft board) out there in this cap corrected environment, combined with the fact that everyone had to address their needs via the draft first.....we might have players available we never focused on in April. Possibly position upgrades not on the radar in the spring. The situation bodes well for us since, for a change, we drafted for need and "not best player available." I like it. Now let's see what happens....

I also think we might get a surprise signing or two...mostly because of the circumstances this year presents. With all of the FAs and UDFAs (similar to a whole new draft board) out there in this cap corrected environment, combined with the fact that everyone had to address their needs via the draft first.....we might have players available we never focused on in April. Possibly position upgrades not on the radar in the spring. The situation bodes well for us since, for a change, we drafted for need and "not best player available." I like it. Now let's see what happens....

yea hopefully the DT from the 49ers Franklin, Not to big on Tommie Harris but id take that as well. just as long as we attempt to do something beisdes bring in UDFA'S, and wonder why teams still run the ball down our throats :applause:

yea hopefully the DT from the 49ers Franklin, Not to big on Tommie Harris but id take that as well. just as long as we attempt to do something beisdes bring in UDFA'S, and wonder why teams still run the ball down our throats :applause:

An impact DT would be awesome....my first choice. I'm probably not the best source on these ^ two guys but I know SF franchised Franklin last year & he's probably gonna get a big long term deal. If it's along the lines of 5 for 40 he'll be out of our grasp and/or Irsay's willingness to pay for a FA. That'd be Corey Simon money. Still...from a talent perspective he would be a great addition. As far as Harris goes, his salary would most likely be more in line with what we would/could pay, plus he's young. I know he had issues in CHI but I don't know all the specifics. If the Colts could get a close look at what's going with the guy maybe he's worth a chance at 1/2 the cost of what Franklin would be. My understanding is that his imminent parting with CHI has been class. I dunno. Would be curious to know more.

Where did this Diem myth come from? He was asked to take a pay cut or get cut. He never left, and he just took a pay cut.

It's not a myth. It was what was reported at the time. None of the recent developments with him coming back at a paycut rate changes anything in the way the team is now handling things with him or other players, anyway. As I said in other conversations the team handled his situation honorably and if I were him I'd take the cut & stay. So he changed his mind. Good. Glad to have him back he wasn't nearly as bad on the false starts as people think.

It's not a myth. It was what was reported at the time. None of the recent developments with him coming back at a paycut rate changes anything in the way the team is now handling things with him or other players, anyway. As I said in other conversations the team handled his situation honorably and if I were him I'd take the cut & stay. So he changed his mind. Good. Glad to have him back he wasn't nearly as bad on the false starts as people think.

Being reported where? I've seen no reputable places reporting Diem being cut. I did see places saying Diem has been told to restructure or be cut, but not that he was cut. Maybe I'm missing something. Can you give me a link?

Being reported where? I've seen no reputable places reporting Diem being cut. I did see places saying Diem has been told to restructure or be cut, but not that he was cut. Maybe I'm missing something. Can you give me a link?

This board is moving fast, I swear. Can't remember which thread it was in but somebody reported he wouldn't take the cut and was seen taking all of his stuff out of the clubhouse. Somethint like that. This was a day or two ago, can't remember. But....I like the organization's stance with him and I'm also glad he's back (at the reduced pay). I'd say a reduction in salary is commensurate with his ability (still very serviceable at this point). Sounds like win/win. Seems many in the Colt camp "get it" in these days and times. All the goings on with salary & focus on team could be an incredible gel point. I like it. "We're all in this together" kinda thing going on.