Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richard Sherman and Doug Baldwin mock NFL over fines in press conference. (Video)

ReMeDy

One of the few times I agree with Sherman. 

I would include the NFL saying "Don't do drugs". ....."Oh, your knee hurts and you don't know if you can play? Here, have some drugs". 

Lots of hypocrisy in this league. 

"Fan violence is a serious concern for the NFL"

"Here, have another beer from one of our 24 vendors. What direct correlation between violence and alcohol"?"

"You have to talk to the media"

"You can't say that to the media". 

"You have to get up on this podium in front of all these people".

"You can't wear that in front of these people".

Sherman has enough "I don't care" attitude along with the clout to be heard because of his play to say something like this.

So he's a good spokesman in this case.

One of the few times I agree with Sherman. 

I would include the NFL saying "Don't do drugs". ....."Oh, your knee hurts and you don't know if you can play? Here, have some drugs". 

Lots of hypocrisy in this league

"Fan violence is a serious concern for the NFL"

"Here, have another beer from one of our 24 vendors. What direct correlation between violence and alcohol"?"

"You have to talk to the media"

"You can't say that to the media". 

"You have to get up on this podium in front of all these people".

"You can't wear that in front of these people".

Of course there's hypocrisy....but handling it the way Sherman did was probably a counter-productive way of dealing with it....and his entire rant had hypocrisies of its own, since I heard neither Demaurice Smith's name, nor our beloved Jeff Saturday"s....or Drew Brees's....or any other CBA negotiating committee member names in Sherman's 9th grade-level carnival presentation. And in particular, had he raised the NFL beer sponsorship = player DUI's implication in a CBA negotiating session....Stanford grad Sherman would have been laughed out of the room. 

Sherman, unless he has other reasons (ahem!) for putting on a news conference, did nothing more than to pile on to the league's and Roger Goodell's richly-deserved self-inflicted wounds with an entire laundry list of grievances....selling headphones, soup and sandwiches....but revealing nothing we didn't already know in his two-minute blabberfest.

IMO....it's just not a good move.

Not when he's a union player rep...and there is a formal appeal process for Lynch's CBA infraction, the 2nd time Lynch has been cited, by the way. His 1st fine was suspended last season with the proviso that it would be reinstated if he repeated the infraction. Lynch and his agent are reportedly contending that post-game injury treatment played a role in him not returning to the locker room and taking media questions...which is fair enough and which the league and union should hear.

And I'm not defending the media rule or the NFL....or Marshawn Lynch....but I believe shop steward Sherman did the players he represents no favors with this stunt.

Lynch's case will get settled in whatever quirky, imperfect way the NFL and the NFLPA hammer thru it. Beast-mode team union rep Sherman is a great NFL CB...and a pretty good product pitchman. But there are ways to address these things and ways not to when negotiations on the part of an entire league of players is involved, and IMO....he's blurring the lines between those and his own interests.

It's a 10s of billions of $$$$ business with a couple thousand player/owner/team/league/sponsor interests grabbing at it....and whatever deals or re-visits to deals and rules that need to be made should be done with proper process and without 3rd rate self-aggrandizing theater like Richard Sherman displayed, while again, conveniently leaving the NFLPA's role in his lamentations out of the script.

We get enough of this one-sided grandstanding crap from the dunces and mongoloids in the White House and Congress....and their results mostly suck. Leaving it no surprise to me that at the Seahawks team trip to DC for that dopey WH ceremony, Sherman looked more smitten and enchanted with sensei than a schoolgirl being asked out on her first date.