Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Injury Updates & Chuck Pagano on the Teams status

TKnight24

I am sure I am in the minority, but I feel my opinion is based on substance and has merit. Frankly, I agree with your assessment. Harrison does get his arms locked out more consistently than Shipley. If you had longer arms, you would tend to make first contact with your opponent more often which would naturally result in getting your arms locked out more frequently. However, if you could not control your opponent when you have him locked out, what would be the advantage of being more consistent at it? Shipley does have short arms and has adapted his play to compensate. I think he has done well.

In any case, it does not matter what any of us think, it matters what the coaches think and they disagree with me, : ). In defense of them, if I am wrong in my amateur opinion, my friends or you can tell me I am full of it. If the Coaches are wrong, they lose high paying jobs. I would assume they value those jobs and would make every effort to make any important decision based on all available facts. They probably just have better information than me. I am but a humble amateur : )

I'm not really sure what you're arguing about.  I said I agree with you about Shipley being better than Harrison and I explained my strength vs power comments and why I think Harrison is stronger but Ship displays more power.  And that power is a big reason why I think Ship has done better than Harrison this year.  

Oh well, I guess some people just like to argue.

But no, longer arms does not mean getting arms locked more consistently, that is a function of strength.  Controlling your opponent is a function of power.  Now in the case of Ship and Harrison I really have no idea which has more strength and/or more power.  But watching them on game day it appears that Harrison has more raw strength but Ship uses his better and is able to translate that into more power.  I think we are saying basically the same thing just with different terminology so I'm trying to explain the terminology.

I'm not really sure what you're arguing about.  I said I agree with you about Shipley being better than Harrison and I explained my strength vs power comments and why I think Harrison is stronger but Ship displays more power.  And that power is a big reason why I think Ship has done better than Harrison this year.  

Oh well, I guess some people just like to argue.

But no, longer arms does not mean getting arms locked more consistently, that is a function of strength.  Controlling your opponent is a function of power.  Now in the case of Ship and Harrison I really have no idea which has more strength and/or more power.  But watching them on game day it appears that Harrison has more raw strength but Ship uses his better and is able to translate that into more power.  I think we are saying basically the same thing just with different terminology so I'm trying to explain the terminology.

Either way both negate there power in different ways at times....(Harrison does have several pancakes though and knockdowns since he became the starter), Harrison by getting to tall at times and Shipley by not churning his feet well in my opinion, I personally would rather go for more agile O Linemen or O Linemen that can pick up there feet quicker going forward but I don't see that happening, I think that's a big reason why they have trouble getting an angle on a D Linemen and being able to drive him off the LOS much more consistently, Instead we use so much drive blocking and there power is negated because often times they all play to high

Either way both negate there power in different ways at times....(Harrison does have several pancakes though and knockdowns since he became the starter), Harrison by getting to tall at times and Shipley by not churning his feet well in my opinion, I personally would rather go for more agile O Linemen or O Linemen that can pick up there feet quicker going forward but I don't see that happening, I think that's a big reason why they have trouble getting an angle on a D Linemen and being able to drive him off the LOS much more consistently, Instead we use so much drive blocking and there power is negated because often times they all play to high

Good points.  Although I will admit, I've only seen two pancakes from Harrison but I don't go back and re-watch the games often so I may have missed some.  But with Shipley, he gets more movement out of his blocks (run blocking).

Both of them seem better than Satele so that is good.  And both are stronger and more powerful than Satele.  But Satele was more technically sound than either of them and I wonder how he would have looked with Mewhort and a 2nd year Thornton next to him.

Whoa, I feel bad for Erik Walden. Almost 30 grand for touching a referee during the Bengals game. Is that the going rate violation wise on average just for touching a zebra? Seems steep to me. He will think twice before doing that again I guess. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11745736/erik-walden-indianapolis-colts-says-fine-ejection-contacting-official-were-nonsense

Is a hip flexor strain a lingering issue or something Walden can recover easily from? I don't know. I'm asking. 

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/update/24771131/colts-lb-erik-walden-week-to-week-with-hip-injury

http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/10428650/hip-flexor-strain-hip-flexor-injury-iliopsoas-.htm

Bill Belichick was fined $50,000 for touching a ref.  In 2010 Tony Stewart (TE, not race car driver) was fined $25,000 for touching an official, and Brandon Stokley $20,000.  John Harbaugh got hit for $15,000 in 2010.  

Vikings Chris Cook got a $26,250 fine with his ejection for (barely) touching a ref last year-

11158532823_6be5d79153_o.gif11158532823_6be5d79153_o.gif

The players should know, They'll only toughen the rule and fines, not become more lenient.  Trust me, the NFL is on a mission to shift the culture to one of more respect.  To officials, and players to each other.  Cam Newton got $21,000 fine for bumping in to a ref in 2012 after kicking this Raider n the facemask...

camkick.0_standard_709.0.gif

There are tons of examples of ejections and fines for doing this.  No matter how petty.  NFL has almost Zero Tolerance.  The Luke Kuechly incident (touching, no fine) proves they do have a heart, small as it may be.

Bill Belichick was fined $50,000 for touching a ref. In 2010 Tony Stewart (TE, not race car driver) was fined $25,000 for touching an official, and Brandon Stokley $20,000. John Harbaugh got hit for $15,000 in 2010.

Vikings Chris Cook got a $26,250 fine with his ejection for (barely) touching a ref last year-

The players should know, They'll only toughen the rule and fines, not become more lenient. Trust me, the NFL is on a mission to shift the culture to one of more respect. To officials, and players to each other. Cam Newton got $21,000 fine for bumping in to a ref in 2012 after kicking this Raider n the facemask...

There are tons of examples of ejections and fines for doing this. No matter how petty. NFL has almost Zero Tolerance. The Luke Kuechly incident (touching, no fine) proves they do have a heart, small as it may be.

"Barely Touched The Ref"

So..... Cook didn't grab at his shirt then push him? You can that barely touching someone?

Mmmm..... To each their own I suppose

"Barely Touched The Ref"

So..... Cook didn't grab at his shirt then push him? You can that barely touching someone?

Mmmm..... To each their own I suppose

I had my sarcasm fingers on...  so many here are /were upset about the fine(s) and calling them all 'barely touching', whether grab, swiping, pushing, whatever. So,  If you can't beat them,  join them.  { /sarcasm fingers off }

I didn't even know that Trent Richardson was hurt. "(hamstring): Richardson will be ready to go this week." I just figured that Pags & Grigs sat him down because they figured that his running yards was was low that it wasn't gonna cut it inside 3 Rivers Stadium. I was just glad to see RB Dan Herron get more touches. That kid can get to the 2nd level something TR rarely if ever does. 

I like how hard TR is working & his attitude but his production leaves a lot to be desired. I know Chuck loves em. Me? Not so much...I wanna like TR, but his lack of yards per carry between the tackles is really starting to frustrate me. Sigh...

Sat him because of his ypc. Dude that is a top 1% all time goofy.

Herron, who i also want to see as a runner, is the most braindead RB ever when it comes to pass blocking. The guy has NO Concept.

You can`t play him on pass plays.

I am sure I am in the minority, but I feel my opinion is based on substance and has merit. Frankly, I agree with your assessment. Harrison does get his arms locked out more consistently than Shipley. If you had longer arms, you would tend to make first contact with your opponent more often which would naturally result in getting your arms locked out more frequently. However, if you could not control your opponent when you have him locked out, what would be the advantage of being more consistent at it? Shipley does have short arms and has adapted his play to compensate. I think he has done well.

In any case, it does not matter what any of us think, it matters what the coaches think and they disagree with me, : ). In defense of them, if I am wrong in my amateur opinion, my friends or you can tell me I am full of it. If the Coaches are wrong, they lose high paying jobs. I would assume they value those jobs and would make every effort to make any important decision based on all available facts. They probably just have better information than me. I am but a humble amateur : )

Shipley if anything Lacks Power, therefore he can`t play guard.  Why we got him ay minimum.

Good points.  Although I will admit, I've only seen two pancakes from Harrison but I don't go back and re-watch the games often so I may have missed some.  But with Shipley, he gets more movement out of his blocks (run blocking).

Both of them seem better than Satele so that is good.  And both are stronger and more powerful than Satele.  But Satele was more technically sound than either of them and I wonder how he would have looked with Mewhort and a 2nd year Thornton next to him.

Satele likely would have looked the same now as he did back when we had him, He is a guy that if you asked him to get up to the second level on a particular assignment depending on if it was a short area he could do it in my opinion but he wasn't going to drive his man off the ball any time soon.....I have not watched him this year....Someone said he was doing well for the Dolphins......I have my doubts but I will have to watch some games I suppose to gather my own opinion