Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

starting hot

ColtsFanMikeC

I just read this in Conrad Brunner's blog -- http://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/brunos-blog/good-bad-ugly-colts-27-bengals-0

In the past 5 games, we have outscored opponents 54-0 in the first quarter.  For the season, 61-6 -- our D hasn't allowed a first quarter TD all year.

This is tremendous -- as fun and exciting as it can be to watch Luck come from behind, I'll take playing ahead from the get-go any day. 

As the season progresses, I hope we can keep this up.  Our D can be much more dangerous if we're playing with a healthy lead late in the game than it can be if we're trailing.  When Art Jones comes back and guys like Werner, Newsome and McNary continue to improve as pass-rushers we should be able to create more sacks/QB pressures and get more turnovers if we're playing with a lead.  Darius Butler returning should help this, too, as the tighter our coverage the more time we have to hit the QB.

I'm taken a brief break, but I'm back now on the forum. I prefer doing that occasionally because it gives me perspective similar to taking a holiday so you can take 2 steps back so you lunge forward in 5 steps.

Watching us shutdown the bengals defense really blew me away yesterday especially that Mike Adams tackle of Giovani Bernard. Nice! That hit pumped me up & set a take no prisoners tone for our defense. I loved it! 

We even got RB Herron some reps too. We even played well after Walden got ejected which means INDY is tough mentally & not easily rattled. Bravo! 

I have been tough on Trent Richardson lately, but I must give him some props today for having a darn good game running & catching the ball yesterday. Just keep reacting to what you see & stop worrying about making mistakes. You did that yesterday & I am very proud of you man.  :thmup:

Is Reggie Wayne okay? He had some drops that should have been easy completions. I love Reggie & I'm not slamming him. He just looked off after that weird fall where all his body weight landed on his arm/elbow.

I want to see Luck get the ball to WR Nicks sooner in games. Yes, I will acknowledge that I am biased toward former NY Giants players but I also know what an asset Nicks can be in in Nov & Dec. too.  

TBH with you, I originally anticipated that this Bengals game was gonna be a loss when the schedule came out & even though Andrew said this game was not a statement game it was. Both the Ravens & Bengals game victories are huge victories because it means Toler & Davis are on fire in the secondary & we are generating pass rush from Jackson, Redding, Francious, Walden, Werner, Adams, & Freeman...It's fantastic! 

I can't drink the praise kool aid 100% until I see how well we hang with the NE Patriots though. Please keep the interceptions to a minimum Chewbacca. LOL! 

TE Dwayne Allen is playing out of his skull right now. Woo Hoo! 

I have been tough on Trent Richardson lately, but I must give him some props today for having a darn good game running & catching the ball yesterday. Just keep reacting to what you see & stop worrying about making mistakes. You did that yesterday & I am very proud of you man.  :thmup:

Is Reggie Wayne okay? He had some drops that should have been easy completions. I love Reggie & I'm not slamming him. He just looked off after that weird fall where all his body weight landed on his arm/elbow.

I want to see Luck get the ball to WR Nicks sooner in games. Yes, I will acknowledge that I am biased toward former NY Giants players but I also know what an asset Nicks can be in in Nov & Dec. too.  

Nicks will get his chance I think. There is already another thread where some say he needs to go. We will see if Wayne does miss some game time.

Nicks will get his chance I think. There is already another thread where some say he needs to go. We will see if Wayne does miss some game time.

Really? Some fans are so shortsighted. It's sad if you ask me. Giving up on Nicks so soon is not a smart move. I know that you know that CC1 because you are a smart guy with a keen football mind. 

I can see that I will need to skim through that topic & set some foolish perspectives straight. Sigh...Are these the same people who claimed Bradshaw was all washed up & too injury prone?  haha

Really? Some fans are so shortsighted. It's sad if you ask me. Giving up on Nicks so soon is not a smart move. I know that you know that CC1 because you are a smart guy with a keen football mind.

I can see that I will need to skim through that topic & set some foolish perspectives straight. Sigh...Are these the same people who claimed Bradshaw was all washed up & too injury prone? haha

I didn't see anyone say "Nicks needs to go" in that thread. Rather, that with the way he's playing now and the limited snaps he's getting, he's unlikely to be back next year. If this continues he won't want to come back and the Colts won't want him back.

I didn't see anyone say "Nicks needs to go" in that thread. Rather, that with the way he's playing now and the limited snaps he's getting, he's unlikely to be back next year. If this continues he won't want to come back and the Colts won't want him back.

I appreciate the additional INFO CL thank you. My bone of contention is this: Even if Nicks is not a teammate of the Colts next year, we still need him to serve as another target for Luck when Wayne gets double teamed & TY Hilton alone is not the TD savior we can count on every single week. 

I haven't seen enough of Nicks to even know how fluid he is or isn't in our offense yet & we are halfway through the regular season now. Why is Pep Hamilton not taking advantage of Nicks size? That's what baffles me. Use his size on either intermediate crossing routes or near the endzone. 

I almost wish I was in the WR meeting room this week because trust me in the playoffs different guys must pick up the slack because personally I think Luck leans on TE Fleener a little too much to bail him out going back to his Stanford college days. JMO. 

I just wonder why in the hades INDY management picked Nicks up if they refuse to use him? He's not Darius Hayward Bay 2.0, but it sure feels like it. It's like buying a ferrari & than putting it up on blocks in the garage because you fear it might get a scratch. Huh? I'm so confused man. Not directed at you CL just how the coaching staff is ignoring him. 

I appreciate the additional INFO CL thank you. My bone of contention is this: Even if Nicks is not a teammate of the Colts next year, we still need him to serve as another target for Luck when Wayne gets double teamed & TY Hilton alone is not the TD savior we can count on every single week.

I haven't seen enough of Nicks to even know how fluid he is or isn't in our offense yet & we are halfway through the regular season now. Why is Pep Hamilton not taking advantage of Nicks size? That's what baffles me. Use his size on either intermediate crossing routes or near the endzone.

I almost wish I was in the WR meeting room this week because trust me in the playoffs different guys must pick up the slack because personally I think Luck leans on TE Fleener a little too much to bail him out going back to his Stanford college days. JMO.

I don't necessarily disagree but the thread he and I were referring to specifically asked whether or not Nicks will be back next year.

I was ecstatic when we signed Nicks. I thought he'd surely resurrect himself with Luck and this offense but so far he's been a dud. This past game Moncrief played 23 snaps to Nicks' 19. If he was still the player that won those Super Bowls with the Giants there'd be no way we could keep him off the field, so something has to be up.

I just wonder why in the hades INDY management picked Nicks up if they refuse to use him? He's not Darius Hayward Bay 2.0, but it sure feels like it. It's like buying a ferrari & than putting it up on blocks in the garage because you fear it might get a scratch. Huh? I'm so confused man. Not directed at you CL just how the coaching staff is ignoring him.

Usually the easiest answer is the correct one. He doesn't have it any more or he's lost his motivation. Like I said before, they couldn't keep him off the field if he still was the top 10 WR he once was with the Giants.

I hope he can prove to the coaches and everybody he still has it because this offense plus the original Hakeem Nicks would be amazing.

I don't necessarily disagree but the thread he and I were referring to specifically asked whether or not Nicks will be back next year.

I was ecstatic when we signed Nicks. I thought he'd surely resurrect himself with Luck and this offense but so far he's been a dud. This past game Moncrief played 23 snaps to Nicks' 19. If he was still the player that won those Super Bowls with the Giants there'd be no way we could keep him off the field, so something has to be up.

Good point CL. Too many weapons on offense & not enough reps to go around. Moncrief is a stud & much younger & healthier than Nicks has shown in the past. 

Usually the easiest answer is the correct one. He doesn't have it any more or he's lost his motivation. Like I said before, they couldn't keep him off the field if he still was the top 10 WR he once was with the Giants.

I hope he can prove to the coaches and everybody he still has it because this offense plus the original Hakeem Nicks would be amazing.

Another valid point. Perhaps Nicks feels as a SB Champion that he got his ring & wants to pursue other avenues other that football. It happens. An athlete says "I got my money & my jewelry & I just am tired of getting hit." 

If he wants another payday though, sucking in INDY a premier franchise is not the best way to get paid in a new city & I thought he came here to resurrect his injury prone career. Just thinking outloud. 

Nicks doesn't seem like he's fighting or demanding more reps either. Maybe Nicks was a locker room leadership hire by management like Matthew Hasselbeck was, but even Matthew got some additional time on the field in blowout games in the 4th QTR vs Nicks with hardly any field game action. Who knows. I respect Nicks & I would find a way to get him more playing time. We are paying him anyway....Why not make him work for his bread a little more management? Strange.

This episode reminds me of how Rex Ryan & the NY Jets failed to utilize WR Plaxico Burress in 2011. Great size & great veteran experience & he was so undervalued in the Big Apple I was simply stunned. 

Slightly off topic....That special teams tackle by Pat Mcafee was a strange sensation for me for 2 reasons: 1. He's so important in pinning opponents deep that I cringe at the prospect of him being hurt & 2. The dude is naturally funny & enthusiastic that I could never be mad at him even if he got a season ending injury. 

Just like Andrew Luck, Pat please remember your not a LB man & we need you both down the stretch in December okay. Dude, remember how significant you are to this organization.  :P

I'm not gonna slam you if the punt return guy gets past you for 6 points man. Sometimes, just avoid injury & let the guy go. Your foot is gold Pat & Adam likes you on FG kicks as the holder too. 

I admire Pat's boyish exuberance & competitiveness to win; I really do. I just know how vital he is in field position victories which are essential in winning games & if we lose him we are in serious trouble.

BrentMc11 knows the value in exceptional special teams play. Just because you can tackle someone it doesn't mean it's mandatory. That's not your primary job man. Protect that golden goose foot. 

I'm taken a brief break, but I'm back now on the forum. I prefer doing that occasionally because it gives me perspective similar to taking a holiday so you can take 2 steps back so you lunge forward in 5 steps.

Watching us shutdown the bengals defense really blew me away yesterday especially that Mike Adams tackle of Giovani Bernard. Nice! That hit pumped me up & set a take no prisoners tone for our defense. I loved it! 

We even got RB Herron some reps too. We even played well after Walden got ejected which means INDY is tough mentally & not easily rattled. Bravo! 

It was Vontae Davis that had the hit.

Mike Adams hit him hard too

Thank you Luck is Awesome. I just went to my DVR tape Tom Moroney. 2nd QTR at 7:24 Adams just nailed Bernard.

That collision got my juices flowing man. CB hits don't impress me at all, but I live for hard hitting safeties.  :thmup:

Both tackles were solid & a fan can't go wrong with admiring either the Davis or Adams collision. So, it's all good. 

Thank you Luck is Awesome. I just went to my DVR tape Tom Moroney. 2nd QTR at 7:24 Adams just nailed Bernard.

That collision got my juices flowing man. CB hits don't impress me at all, but I live for hard hitting safeties. :thmup:

Both tackles were solid & a fan can't go wrong with admiring either the Davis or Adams collision. So, it's all good.

This doesn't impress you?

coltscrunch.0.gif

I don't care if it was a CB or a punter or a QB that is not only in amazing hit but it was textbook form. It also shows Vontae isn't scared to lay the wood.

Thank you Luck is Awesome. I just went to my DVR tape Tom Moroney. 2nd QTR at 7:24 Adams just nailed Bernard[/i

That collision got my juices flowing man. CB hits don't impress me at all, but I live for hard hitting safeties. :thmup:

Adams was a great find by Grigson. Great in coverage and a great hitter.