Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eli Suggests Peyton Wants To Return This Year

oldunclemark

He doesnt say much....but.....For what its worth...

In case you missed this... its from late October..

Eli Manning thinks Peyton will play

By Ohm Youngmisuk

ESPNNewYork.com

Archive

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Eli Manning isn't sure if Peyton Manning will return this season but he believes his big brother will resume his future Hall of Fame career.

"I hope so," the Giants quarterback said on Wednesday when asked if he thinks Peyton will play again. "Yeah, I think so, yes."

Peyton has been recovering from neck surgery he had on Sept. 8, the third procedure he has undergone in 19 months on his neck.

The Colts quarterback hopes to return this season, although Indianapolis is already 0-7 without him.

"I don't know, I don't have an idea on that," Eli said when asked if Peyton will play this year. "I just know that he is trying to get healthy as quickly as possible."

AFC South blog

Kuharsky_paul_m.jpg ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky writes about all things AFC South in his division blog.

With Peyton sidelined, Eli now holds the longest current active starting streak by an NFL quarterback with 109 consecutive starts since 2004. Peyton is second all-time behind Brett Favre with 208 consecutive starts.

Eli has now watched both of his brothers undergo surgeries on their neck or spine. Cooper Manning, the oldest brother, had his football career end his freshman year prior to ever playing a down at Ole Miss due to spinal stenosis, a congenital narrowing of the spinal canal. Cooper, a former wide receiver, had to undergo a spinal surgery.

Eli and Peyton both have been checked medically for any genetic condition after Cooper's injury.

"When Cooper had his operation and everything going on, Peyton and I, we all got kind of checked to see if we had similar alignment and similar neck problems and neither of us had it," Eli said. "It can be genetic and can run down in the family. Obviously we didn't have it. Being a quarterback, you take some hits, you take funny hits and stuff can happen."

Eli said Peyton's injury is not related to the condition that ended Cooper's football career. All Peyton can do is continue to work and rehab, something Eli says his brother is doing diligently.

After seeing what his brothers have gone through, Eli understands how football can be taken away at any point.

"You are constantly reminded how precious this time is and playing football and this opportunity and knowing that you never know when it is your last play of the season or last play of a career," Eli said. "You always want to go out and give it your fullest in your preparation all week and remember that on Sundays, that is a fun time, a time that you get to celebrate touchdowns and have fun playing the game."

this is a later story....

Eli on Peyton Manning's return: 'He wants to be out there'

• By Marc Sessler NFL.com
  • Published: Nov. 17, 2011 at 09:14 a.m.
  • Updated: Nov. 17, 2011 at 02:33 p.m.

According to Brother Eli, Peyton Manning could be back on the field this season.

"Maybe he could be back this year," the Giants quarterback told USA TODAY this week. "I don't know if that's the smart thing under the circumstances, but I expect him to be back next year. "He's always been a fast healer. He wants to be out there. He's being aggressive in his rehab and looking to get back on the field as soon as possible. He looks into every possibility, every opportunity, to get back as soon as possible."

Back the truck up a minute: How does this help the Colts if Peyton returns in 2011?

If Colts fans aren't rooting for the team to lose, the prospect of grabbing Stanford's Andrew Luck with the top pick in April's draft at least grows rosier with every defeat.

Peyton returning to catapult some mid-tier Colts team back into the playoffs? That would be one thing.

Returning to knock the potentially 0-14 Colts out of the Luck derby -- when Peyton's own future is in question? A much tougher sell.

this is a later story....

Eli on Peyton Manning's return: 'He wants to be out there'

• By Marc Sessler NFL.com
  • Published: Nov. 17, 2011 at 09:14 a.m.
  • Updated: Nov. 17, 2011 at 02:33 p.m.

According to Brother Eli, Peyton Manning could be back on the field this season.

"Maybe he could be back this year," the Giants quarterback told USA TODAY this week. "I don't know if that's the smart thing under the circumstances, but I expect him to be back next year. "He's always been a fast healer. He wants to be out there. He's being aggressive in his rehab and looking to get back on the field as soon as possible. He looks into every possibility, every opportunity, to get back as soon as possible."

Back the truck up a minute: How does this help the Colts if Peyton returns in 2011?

If Colts fans aren't rooting for the team to lose, the prospect of grabbing Stanford's Andrew Luck with the top pick in April's draft at least grows rosier with every defeat.

Peyton returning to catapult some mid-tier Colts team back into the playoffs? That would be one thing.

Returning to knock the potentially 0-14 Colts out of the Luck derby -- when Peyton's own future is in question? A much tougher sell.

You know the big font doesn't make your thoughts any more meaningful.

The only and I mean the ONLY way I see Manning returning is if he is absolutely 100% healthy, cleared to play by docs.

and the only reason I see him returning is so the coaches and F/O can evaluate how he plays. Does he have his arm strength back? accuracy? mobility? etc. so they can make a better decision come draft time.

The chances of this happening are pretty slim, the docs said his recovery was 3 months at best and could take much much longer. Manning has said he is healing but has no idea where he is in terms of playing again.

The only and I mean the ONLY way I see Manning returning is if he is absolutely 100% healthy, cleared to play by docs.

and the only reason I see him returning is so the coaches and F/O can evaluate how he plays. Does he have his arm strength back? accuracy? mobility? etc. so they can make a better decision come draft time.

The chances of this happening are pretty slim, the docs said his recovery was 3 months at best and could take much much longer. Manning has said he is healing but has no idea where he is in terms of playing again.

And in other news, water has been determined to be wet.

The point you may be missing is that this isnt necessarily a logic based 'what I get out if it' decision.'

..and it does not matter if anyone else 'sees it'

Eli suggest that Peyton will come back to play football simply because that's what he does.

For the 100th time....He's not on IR for a reason.

Eli, like most football players, speaks in cliches when interviewed, and all the words say nothing.

Now, what did he say? "Yes, I think so."

We are grabbing at straws here. You think Peyton does not act positive around his family? He does not want to worry Eli and put stress on him during football season. The kid has a chance to take the Giants all the way!

A. The giant font is difficult to read. post etiquitte

B. I just don't see any purpose to having Manning play. The most important thing for him, football or not, is to properly heal. The coaching staff knows that and Manning knows that. With the team being in the driver's seat for the most important draft position of the past decade, they will NEVER let Manning touch the field on Sundays if he isn't absolutely 100 percent healed.

The long term future of the franchise + the long term future of Peyton's health are more important that Peyton's desire to play

Peyton has been sat before when he wanted to play. He is ONLY staying off of IR so that he can test out his arm during practice

As much as I miss seeing #18 out there on the field, I personally hope that he does not return this year. This season is already lost, so the best we can do is look to next year. It makes no sense, in my opinion, to put him out there and risk injuring him for nothing. I don't care if he is cleared by doctors or not, I don't want him back on the field. Just let this season go, and focus on coming out and dominating again in 2012.

A. The giant font is difficult to read. post etiquitte

B. I just don't see any purpose to having Manning play. The most important thing for him, football or not, is to properly heal. The coaching staff knows that and Manning knows that. With the team being in the driver's seat for the most important draft position of the past decade, they will NEVER let Manning touch the field on Sundays if he isn't absolutely 100 percent healed.

The long term future of the franchise + the long term future of Peyton's health are more important that Peyton's desire to play

Peyton has been sat before when he wanted to play. He is ONLY staying off of IR so that he can test out his arm during practice

sorry about the type...

sometimes larger is more readable..

Cold hard facts...??

Manning doenst have many more days even if he returns at perfect health...

He should not sit out games he can play. that simple.

the chance of reinjury is always there but its there next August too. We cant be paranoid

We need to not go 0-16 for our franchises rep....and we need to make a decision on who to draft for our franchises sake.

IF Manning comes back and plays effectively win or lose...

We dont need to waste a pick on Andrew Luck and we can trade one pick for 3 or 4 picks to retool what we all agree is an outmanned defense..

that's why he needs to play if he can....and I dont (and I dont think management will) care about a risk that's always there.

I dont know if they agree with me but theres a reason he's not on injured reserve