Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Look At The Starters From 2009 Vs 2011

WSO

When Mudd and Moore retired, the Star was reporting they were retiring because the new NFL contract with the players would affect there retirement benefits. I did not read the Kravitz article so I am in the dark about what he was inferring regarding Chris Polian. You are suggesting they retired because of conflict with Chris Polian?

I remember that's what they said about Tom Moore back when he was with the colts. They said he would not get the same benefits if he was an offensive coordinator so he became a senior offensive assistant or something like that. I remember that he didn't call plays though that year, Christisen was the offensive coordinator and that was annoying because he isn't Tom Moore.

About the Kravits article, it basically said that as Chris Polian rose up the ranks in the colts organization, the more quality colts front office executives, scouts, and coaches like Howard Mudd and Tom Moore were let go. If they "retired" like the colts said they did, then why are they on different teams the very next year coaching? Mudd is the O-line coach for the Eagles and Moore is with the Jets. I remember about a year ago when Chris became the general manager, a high ranking colt executive supposedly "retired." I forgot his name, but he came out and said that he was forced out, that he definitely did not retire.

If Chris is such a good execuive, then why have we gotten worse? As the colts have gotten worse, Chris Polian has risen up through the organization. I don't like that trend and rewarding employees with higher jobs and salary increases for failure is a recipe for disaster. At this point if the article is true and the unnamed sources under no talking clauses are correct, then I'd release Chris Polian in an instant. I can't explain how much this frustrates me if it's true. I guess it is because of conflicts with the other employees, but if you have that many conflicts in one business, then you have anger and communicating issues. You don't make the team worse just because you don't get along with everyone in the organization.

Its hard to spin Chris Polian as the villan here..everyone isnt responsible..

Moore is over 70 right?...so is Mudd....

We'd be 0-10 or close to it...with them..too..agreed?

yes

but I will say that Moore and Mudd are struggling even in their current situations. The Eagles O line struggles in pass blocking but is very good in run blocking (usually).

The Jets offense is absolutely terrible this year, they can't run the ball despite having 3 good backs.

so yes I think we would be 0-10.

yes

but I will say that Moore and Mudd are struggling even in their current situations. The Eagles O line struggles in pass blocking but is very good in run blocking (usually).

The Jets offense is absolutely terrible this year, they can't run the ball despite having 3 good backs.

I do agree that when I saw that Mudd and Moore still coaching..I wish it was still here...

..and now I dont envy either one of them the situation there are in because those two teams were supposed to win this year and now they are on life-support for the playoffs

Peyton will make us a playoff team no doubt, but this league has gotten better while you have pointed out, we have stood still. That has always been our problem.

Yes, I agree. We know Manning is awesome. But nothing has changed in past few years other than these same players are now a few years older with declining skills as each year goes by. Our personnel is the same , our players basically the same, our schemes and plays are the same. The rest of the NFL has figured this out and will roll over us most of the time, unless Manning is there to save us. He can only save us to a point, maybe 1st round of playoffs and then were done, other playoff teams are just better on both sides of the ball. It doesn't matter if we go 14-2 during regular season.

Great post.

Its tough for a defense to stay in the game when the offense turns the ball over as much as we do. We are now the worst Turnover Differnential in the AFC (-11) compared to (+2) in 2009 which has a direct impact of the morale and performance of the defense with the same roster.

Most importantly, we are in a much better division now. IN FACT, the Texans have been BUILT TO BEAT Manning. They have 2 premiere pass rushers and they have an amazing running game built to keep Manning off the field.

We have run the ball better this year up from 26th in 2010 to 23rd in 2011. Defensively vs the run we look better but statistically we are worse down from 25th to 31st

Great post.

Its tough for a defense to stay in the game when the offense turns the ball over as much as we do. We are now the worst Turnover Differnential in the AFC (-11) compared to (+2) in 2009 which has a direct impact of the morale and performance of the defense with the same roster.

Most importantly, we are in a much better division now. IN FACT, the Texans have been BUILT TO BEAT Manning. They have 2 premiere pass rushers and they have an amazing running game built to keep Manning off the field.

We have run the ball better this year up from 26th in 2010 to 23rd in 2011. Defensively vs the run we look better but statistically we are worse down from 25th to 31st

a lot of our defensive problems after field position an time of posession..

..where the defense is sabotaged by our offense.

Manning doesn't make our defensive players play better but he does put a reted defnse out at the opposition's 20 instead of a tired Colt defense trying to stop teams from midfield..

I dont think anybody had figured us out last year...when we were 10-6 with 13 players on IR..

yes

Tom Moore is not the offensive coordinator for the Jets, he's the consultant, duh. I hate it when people make up stuff...

I can understand that when Bill started handing the rein over to his son, those coaches and execs who worked with Bill may not have the same affiliation with Bills son, Chris. So they decide to leave. Maybe Chris thought they were not doing as good a job as Bill thought they had. Any transition at the very top can have attrition.

One thing is for certain, the Colts have some great players. They also have a lot of positions that need an upgrade. It takes time to undo mistakes which IMO, Bill made in drafting. Maybe the problem is that Chris selected the players that Bill drafted.

In any case, time heals all wounds and time wounds all heels. So what we see happen next season will, IMO, help us to determine where the blame for this teams demise in talent. If the team improves next season, question answered, Chris knows what he is doing.

If the team does not show significant improvement next season, then we will see if Jim Irsay can make the decision that needs to be made. The Joker in all of this is, will Peyton be back and ready to take control of the offense.

If Peyton is not back, then the Colts will need to draft a rookie QB and as they do that, do they bring in a veteran QB while the rookie learns or let the rookie QB take his lumps? I personally would be comfortable with letting the rookie take his lumps and let his first season be a learning experience.

Lots of questions and few answers at this point in time.

Tom Moore is not the offensive coordinator for the Jets, he's the consultant, duh. I hate it when people make up stuff...

Could you please point out in my post where I stated Tom Moore was the offensive coordinator?

I am well aware he is the consultant but he does have an impact on the offense. In an interview Keller (the TE) stated Moore had made him a much better all around TE in terms of route running, awareness etc.

I hate it when people cant read...

Could you please point out in my post where I stated Tom Moore was the offensive coordinator?

I am well aware he is the consultant but he does have an impact on the offense. In an interview Keller (the TE) stated Moore had made him a much better all around TE in terms of route running, awareness etc.

I hate it when people cant read...

You implied that the Jets problems on offense were because of Tom Moore. Be more clearer in what you say.