Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

6,000 yards in 2014?

oldunclemark

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..after the Super Bowl championship when Joe Flacco was near perfect.

In which him and Flacco said that they didn't change anything after Cam Cameron was fired.

If Caldwell was really that good that offense wouldn't have been so terrible last year.

In which him and Flacco said that they didn't change anything after Cam Cameron was fired.

If Caldwell was really that good that offense wouldn't have been so terrible last year.

.....Doesn't matter if they 'changed anything'

The Ravens just started playing much better on offense in the 2012 playoffs with Caldwell calling the plays...

.....He will call the plays in Detroit...every reason to believe that a Lions team that was bad the second half of 2013 will

play better on offense..in 2014...right?

....Detroit will be better

If anyone can it's Stafford.

Calvin Johnson is the best WR in the game.

Golden Tate was the SB champ's best WR, compliments CJ well.

Broyles showed a ton of promise, imagine if Titus Young wasnt full on insane!

Plus Ebron who's a huge receiving threat at TE, Fauria is a great red zone target (6'8 or 7 actually I believe OP) and Pettigrew is a decent big bodied player.

Reggie Bush and Joique Bell are two of the best receiving backs in the league.

A very underrated OL featuring PFFs rookie of the year Warford and many other good players (Waddle, Reiff, etc)

And an offensive HC (he isn't a good coach but he'll stay out of his players way and hopefully keep the antics down, for a team this talented that's all they need)

Plus one of the scariest front 7 in the league with hopefully some progression from young players in the secondary. I believe in the Lions.

Add in Notre Dame's own TJ Jones to the mix, and Detroit is kind of scary looking. Calvin Johnson on his own is capable of hitting the 2,000 yard mark... and in 2012, or 13 he had 1,900+. If any one can hit the mark it would be them. None the less, even then I'd be shocked. 

They need to put *s in the record books! Brees couldn't even stay on the field until 2004 and all of his numbers have came among Bountygate, the camera scandal, etc. Meanwhile guys like Stafford and Eli (I like Eli as a clutch QB who wins big games but statistically decorated he is not) have since broken Marino's record. This is a record that Brett Favre, Dan Fouts, Joe Montana, Jim Kelly, PEYTON MANNING before the pass happy era never even sniffed.

Edit: Stafford actually never broke the old record but he did break 5000. Eli never broke either but he rounds out the top 10 all time leaders in a season.

I completely agree with this and have been saying it for years.  The records have been completely skewed by Goodell.  Personally, I think all passing and receiving records since he became commissioner are suspect and deserving of asterisks because of the way he punishes defensive play through fines and suspensions.

It will happen soon IMO, and if lame Jim Caldwell wasn't the Lion's coach, I would predict Stafford to be the 1 to do it. I hope he still does it. That will only prove more how worthless stats are sometimes.

You may call Caldwell lame but there a lot of NFL people who don't think that way. Look at what he did with Manning, Flacco and now he has Stafford. Stafford has put up big numbers with worse coaches than Caldwell. Using one game to judge Caldwell is being too narrow minded. Stats may seem worthless to you but to be successful in the NFL you have to have good stats. Without decent stats means you played very poorly. I would think you would know that?

I completely agree with this and have been saying it for years.  The records have been completely skewed by Goodell.  Personally, I think all passing and receiving records since he became commissioner are suspect and deserving of asterisks because of the way he punishes defensive play through fines and suspensions.

Goodell? I think the rule changes are more responsible for the increase in numbers. All the rule changes were made by the owners to keep the fans excited. Goodell is only a employee of the owners. He is more than likely the highest paid yes man ever. He is paid to take all the heat so the owners don't have to. You can bet he don't make any decision without the owners input and orders.

You may call Caldwell lame but there a lot of NFL people who don't think that way. Look at what he did with Manning, Flacco and now he has Stafford. Stafford has put up big numbers with worse coaches than Caldwell. Using one game to judge Caldwell is being too narrow minded. Stats may seem worthless to you but to be successful in the NFL you have to have good stats. Without decent stats means you played very poorly. I would think you would know that?

What? What the heck did he do with Flacco? I think it is you who are using 1 game to judge Caldwell since that's barely less than the number of games in which he called plays. I saw what he did with Manning...he sabatoged his perfect season then drug him down to mediocrity in 2010. How about what he did without Manning? 2-14. You don't have to have stats to be success. You have to have to be a success to have stats, and there are even exceptions to that.

What? What the heck did he do with Flacco? I think it is you who are using 1 game to judge Caldwell since that's barely less than the number of games in which he called plays. I saw what he did with Manning...he sabatoged his perfect season then drug him down to mediocrity in 2010. How about what he did without Manning? 2-14. You don't have to have stats to be success. You have to have to be a success to have stats, and there are even exceptions to that.

The perfect season was Polians doing. Drug Manning down to mediocrity? Manning has never been at that level. No matter what your opinion is of Caldwell it is not shared by people of knowledge in the NFL.

And if Caldwell wasn't lame he would have atleast talked Polian out of it, if not told him "hell no."

Manning was statistically mediocre in 2010 by the game's standards today and his own standards, and you're a stat guy. That's not me blaming him - that's me blaming the coaching and management of that team. They would have been 2-14 without Peyton that year, as we found out the next year.

..after the Super Bowl championship when Joe Flacco was near perfect.

Ravens fans should note that Jim Caldwell has a ring

Many forget the job that Caldwell did in Baltimore. Once the Ravens got away from being a basically running team Flacco had a fantastic playoff run with Caldwell as the OC. Just because of his super bowl loss in Indy there are a lot of fans who laid all the blame on him. It wasn't him who couldn't recover an onside kick or threw an interception. He is still the only rookie coach to take a team to a super bowl. As quarterback coach and offensive coordinator his record speaks for itself. It also was Polian who had the Colts lay down on the perfect season.

I can't believe people think any quarterback coach is responsible for any of Peyton Manning's success. Peyton Manning had his own office for heck's sake. He ran the chalkboard at half time. Peyton Manning ran that offense, period.

Flacco wasn't good in the playoffs because of Jim Caldwell. He was good because he flung that DL to the ground, stepped up and launched it. Caldwell was probably screaming throw it away.

And if Caldwell wasn't lame he would have atleast talked Polian out of it, if not told him "hell no."appliance 

Manning was statistically mediocre in 2010 by the game's standards today and his own standards, and you're a stat guy. That's not me blaming him - that's me blaming the coaching and management of that team. They would have been 2-14 withoult Peyton that year, as we found out the next year.

Painter was Polians guy and when he was taken out the Colts won games. If you think that Caldwell is so bad I suggest looking up his NFL numbers yourself. If you don't care to that's fine but if you do you will see he is not as bad as you think.

I can't believe people think any quarterback coach is responsible for any of Peyton Manning's success. Peyton Manning had his own office for heck's sake. He ran the chalkboard at half time. Peyton Manning ran that offense, period.

So you think that Tom Moore and Jim Caldwell had zero to do with Mannings success?  I highly doubt that Manning shares that opinion. PERIOD!

And if Caldwell wasn't lame he would have atleast talked Polian out of it, if not told him "hell no."

Manning was statistically mediocre in 2010 by the game's standards today and his own standards, and you're a stat guy. That's not me blaming him - that's me blaming the coaching and management of that team. They would have been 2-14 without Peyton that year, as we found out the next year.

You think anyone could have talked Polian out of anything? It seems you have a small amount of knowledge when it comes to Polian.

Painter was Polians guy and when he was taken out the Colts won games. If you think that Caldwell is so bad I suggest looking up his NFL numbers yourself. If you don't care to that's fine but if you do you will see he is not as bad as you think.

What numbers? Peyton Manning's numbers? By that logic I guess Charlie Weis is responsible for Brady's numbers and Brett Favre's quarterback coach who was like 15 years younger than him that 1 season is responsible for his.

What numbers? Peyton Manning's numbers? By that logic I guess Charlie Weis is responsible for Brady's numbers and Brett Favre's quarterback coach who was like 15 years younger than him that 1 season is responsible for his.

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? 

Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

What other decent numbers would he have? Brad Johnson's numbers the 1 year he QB coached in Tampa? His head coaching record? Also if you're going to credit the QB coach for stats keep in mind he wasn't hired off the street as the Ravens OC. He was their QB coach that season.

What other decent numbers would he have? Brad Johnson's numbers the 1 year he QB coached in Tampa? His head coaching record? Also if you're going to credit the QB coach for stats keep in mind he wasn't hired off the street as the Ravens OC. He was their QB coach that season.

It's pretty easy. Just type in Jim Caldwell on the internet. He wasn't picked as Detroit's head coach for being stupid.

You think anyone could have talked Polian out of anything? It seems you have a small amount of knowledge when it comes to Polian.

It's not about Polian, it's about Caldwell. The GM's job is to play it safe. They all do it, and all coaches clash with them over it. That's part of their job. It's how the game is played.

It's pretty easy. Just type in Jim Caldwell on the internet.

I've already referenced his numbers and you keep ignoring them. 2010 was Peyton's worst season since his rocky youth and arguably the beginning of his postprime. 2011 was...2-14. Peyton Manning needs a quarterback coach like he needs a forearm to the neck. The only other quarterbacking stats on Caldwell are the Tampa season and the Penn St years where they ran a ball control offense.

It's not about Polian, it's about Caldwell. The GM's job is to play it safe. They all do it, and all coaches clash with them over it. That's part of their job. It's how the game is played.

Mine and your opinions differ. No big deal. It's time to move on with this.

I've already referenced his numbers and you keep ignoring them. 2010 was Peyton's worst season since his rocky youth and arguably the beginning of his postprime. 2011 was...2-14. Peyton Manning needs a quarterback coach like he need a forearm to the neck. The only other quarterbacking stats on Caldwell are the Tampa season and the Penn St years where they ran a ball control offense.

Funny you bring up Mannings neck. As I recall that's when his problem with his neck first surfaced.....

That's a good point..PC./...

Once we go to 18 games (and it is inevitable) everybody's offensive records will fall

If they go 18 games they are opening themselves up to a whole lot more problems when pay goes up, and injuries too. The season is fine were it is right now.