Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 06/13 "Freaky Friday"

sb41champs

:blueshoe:   SORRY THIS IS BEING POSTED LATE THIS WEEK - GOT DISTRACTED WHILE ONLINE YESTERDAY........

The "perfect" subject for "Freaky Friday the 13th" is the "Madden Curse".  It has been reported that Carolina Panthers head coach Ron Rivera voted multiple times in the contest for the next cover of Madden.

However - he did NOT vote for HIS quarterback - Cam Newton.  He voted for CB Richard Sherman of the Seattle Seahawks.  Reason:  the "Madden Curse".

:blueshoe:  The "Madden Curse":  Reality or Perception ??

Perception, there have been people on it that did just fine the following season. 

I think in the past when Madden picked people to be on the cover they picked people who had unreal seasons so the following year they were unable to equal what they had done the year before not because they were on the cover but because of how good they had been the year before and it was impossible to do that again. 

With that said it didn't break my heart that Andrew Luck and TY Hilton didn't make the cover...you know just in case...

It's fake. Who was the last person to get it? Peyton Hillis? He was never a great back anyways.

I guess his 2010 numbers were fake? Ham string injuries kept him from advancing his career. He played most of his career as a fullback but to say he wasn't a great back is a stretch. In 2010 he had 270 runs for 1170 yards and 11 TDs and caught 61 catches for 477 yards and 2 TDs. That is real good by anyone's standard.

I guess his 2010 numbers were fake? Ham string injuries kept him from advancing his career. He played most of his career as a fullback but to say he wasn't a great back is a stretch. In 2010 he had 270 runs for 1170 yards and 11 TDs and caught 61 catches for 477 yards and 2 TDs. That is real good by anyone's standard.

One "real good" season hardly makes him a great running back. JMO.

So injuries takes his good play away like it never happened?

It happened and those were good numbers but to be great at something you have to do over time. One year of good numbers doesn't make you great. He will not be remembered or going into the HOF that is greatness.

Take Scott Mitchell one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time right?  Mitchell led the league’s No. 2 offense with 4,338 yards and 32 TD. He had a 92.3 passer rating and Detroit made the playoffs at 10-6. I am guessing you have no idea who Scott Mitchell is that is because that was his only good year considering he got the Lions to the playoffs maybe a great year but 19 years later no one remembers. Same thing with Hillis it happened some how but he isn't great.

One "real good" season hardly makes him a great running back. JMO.

So injuries takes his good play away like it never happened?

Scott Mitchell was way back. How about Steve Slaton from West Virginia remember 2008 he had like 1700 yards from scrimmage and 4.8 yards per carry again great year not a great player. Sometimes crazy things happen to be great you have to do it for more than a year probably like a career.

It happened and those were good numbers but to be great at something you have to do over time. One year of good numbers doesn't make you great. He will not be remembered or going into the HOF that is greatness.

Take Scott Mitchell one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time right?  Mitchell led the league’s No. 2 offense with 4,338 yards and 32 TD. He had a 92.3 passer rating and Detroit made the playoffs at 10-6. I am guessing you have no idea who Scott Mitchell is that is because that was his only good year considering he got the Lions to the playoffs maybe a great year but 19 years later no one remembers. Same thing with Hillis it happened some how but he isn't great.

Your guessing is wrong. Tom Moore was Mitchells offensive coordinator in those days. Mitchells receivers were Moore and Perriman who were the first 100 catch seasons as a duo. Mitchell was Marino's backup at Miami before signing with the Lions.  If you are not old enough to remember that could be one reason but if you are a fan of the history of the NFL you would know this. It is your opinion that Hillis was not a good RB. That's OK for you. But I remember the one season he was great and nothing can take that away. He had his 15 minutes of fame no matter what you think. One thing you may not know is I am old enough to have watched the NFL since before the merge. I have watched every super bowl that has played since Green Bay won their first one. I was 14 years old when that took place. So before assuming anything it would be nice to have some facts before pointing at what someone may or may not know. Oh by the way, I said Hillis was a good RB, that is all.  You are the one who put greatest and HOF words into the picture with the Mitchell comment. Right?

To me I read that to mean you thought he was a great back Mitchell regardless of the circumstances, Herman Moore and Brent Perriman,  had one good year as did Steve Slayton there are plenty more.

Sorry I didn't know how old you are it is difficult to tell those things simply from post's Hillis wasn't a great back he had a great year.