Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Comparing the '14 QB draft class with the 2013 QB class....

While I said early and often that I didn't like any QB as the #1 pick in this year's draft (and last years)

I find this year's class completely fascinating.   Can't recall one like it in quite a number of years.

I've heard this class described as one where everyone sees it completely differently.   And I think it's true.

So, my rankings are not the same as yours....   that's fine.    But unlike last year, I think there are many, many more QB's who will be drafted and who might have a decent career as well.

This year...     (where you rank your QB's isn't the point.  The fact that so many are very draftable is the point I'm making...)

My first round guys are Bortles and Manziel

My 2nd round guys are Carr, Savage and Garrapollo

My 3rd round guys are Bridgewater, Mettenberger, McCarron and Murray.

My 4th round guy is Logan Thomas

My 5th round guy is Tajh Boyd

My 6th round guys are Morris/Fales/Matthews.

That's 14 draftable QB's...   and I think 10-12 will be drafted.  A few will likely be free agents.  But that's a large number.

Look at last year.

First round:   Manuel

Second round: Smith

Third round:  Glennon

Fourth round:   Barkley, Nassib,  Wilson and Jones.

And that's it.   7 QB's total.    Potentially,  there could be double that this year, though I think 14 is highly unlikely.    I'm just noting that there are many more interesting candidates this year than last.

Woah woah woah. Bridgewater third round?

Poor kid is just as good as he's always been, he's been over analyzed so much people find flaws that arent there, like Andrew's arm strength "issues"

In my 3rd round rankings I noted that I'm guessing that Bridgewater is this year's Matt Barkley.    I think he could free fall.

That said,  I'm probably wrong.    He was my first pick in the 3rd round, ranked 65th.    If I had moved him up one spot, he'd be a 2nd round guy.     But, I'm not a fan.

Like I said,   I'm sure I'm wrong.   He'll go higher, possibly 1st round round,  possibly 2nd.

Again,  my point is not where I have guys ranked.....   it's to note just how many there are.  14 draftable QB's is quite a lot.

I think this is a much better draft class than last year.    Much better.

I don't know what to think because it seemed like 8-10 QBs would be drafted last year with all the hype they gave them. in final mock drafts Geno Smith and Ryan Nassib were 1st round picks..

Smith was certainly a first round mock in April.     I don't think Nassib was a 1st round mock in April by anyone who knows what they're talking about.     The draft has become quite popular.    All sorts of websites do mock drafts.   They generate lots of internet clicks.     But that doesn't mean the people who do them know what they're doing.    Anyone who had Nassib mocked in the first round in April clearly didn't know what they were doing.............

CBS Sports had him projected as the best player in the entire draft in December.    Not the best QB,  the best player!

Demerits for them.    But at least they changed that as winter turned to spring and he moved down their board.    That was nonsense.   

Sometimes the stuff that's out there is enough to drive you crazy!

Smith was certainly a first round mock in April. I don't think Nassib was a 1st round mock in April by anyone who knows what they're talking about. The draft has become quite popular. All sorts of websites do mock drafts. They generate lots of internet clicks. But that doesn't mean the people who do them know what they're doing. Anyone who had Nassib mocked in the first round in April clearly didn't know what they were doing.............

CBS Sports had him projected as the best player in the entire draft in December. Not the best QB, the best player!

Demerits for them. But at least they changed that as winter turned to spring and he moved down their board. That was nonsense.

Sometimes the stuff that's out there is enough to drive you crazy!

Walter football had Ryan Nassib going to the Bills at number 8 in their final mock draft. I also remember right before draft day the expert mock drafters were saying Geno was a lock in the first round, and there would be two or three teams that move up into the first round to take other quarterbacks like Matt Barkely.

Walter football had Ryan Nassib going to the Bills at number 8 in their final mock draft. I also remember right before draft day the expert mock drafters were saying Geno was a lock in the first round, and there would be two or three teams that move up into the first round to take other quarterbacks like Matt Barkely.

I'm not a fan of Walter Football.    Never have been.   And you telling me that they had Nassib going 8th overall in their final mock gives me yet another example of why.     Really?    They did that?    8th, even in April?    Goodness that's just the height of crazy talk.

Most everyone had Geno going in the first round.   No one had the guts to see a fall to 39.   Barkley suffered a rude free fall.

And now it's worse for him....   he's stuck behind Nick Foles who went in the 3rd or 4th round in 2012.    What a tremendous year Foles had.    Good luck to anyone trying to overtake him.

Again,  it can't be said enough.....   most of the so-called experts who do mocks and player rankings really shouldn't.   They don't know what they're doing.   They do it because it generates tremendous internet traffic.

User beware!

Poor kid is just as good as he's always been, he's been over analyzed so much people find flaws that arent there, like Andrew's arm strength "issues"

I agree. I do not see him getting past the QB needy teams at the top of round 2, IMO. I still believe he is an Alex Smith in the making as long as he goes to a west coast system that has run game and D support. He can throw with anticipation and if you surround him with WRs that run good routes, he will throw them open with good anticipation. If the Browns don't get a QB with their first round picks, it is very likely he will be drafted by them unless the Raiders move up ahead of them in round 2. 

I'm not a fan of Walter Football. Never have been. And you telling me that they had Nassib going 8th overall in their final mock gives me yet another example of why. Really? They did that? 8th, even in April? Goodness that's just the height of crazy talk.

Most everyone had Geno going in the first round. No one had the guts to see a fall to 39. Barkley suffered a rude free fall.

And now it's worse for him.... he's stuck behind Nick Foles who went in the 3rd or 4th round in 2012. What a tremendous year Foles had. Good luck to anyone trying to overtake him.

Again, it can't be said enough..... most of the so-called experts who do mocks and player rankings really shouldn't. They don't know what they're doing. They do it because it generates tremendous internet traffic.

User beware!

Some people believed that Bills head coach Doug Marrone would draft Nassib because he played for Marrone at Syracuse. There was no other reason to believe Nassib would go in Rd 1.

It's funny cause Luck's got a particularly strong arm. There's a video of him launching a football about 75 yards into the wind at his pro day.