Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OPC's 3rd Day Prospects - Caraun Reid

I wish I had more time to break down film, but I'm going to try to post more flim breakdown of 3rd day prospects between now and draft day.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/caraun-reid-vs-columbia-2013/

Reid gets a solid push and often commands a double team.  I know, he plays in the Ivy League, so take it with a grain of salt.  But Reid has the ability to win 1-on-1's on a regular basis, especially if he improves his pass technique.  Speaking of his pass technique, it needs work.  Good swim move and very impressive bull rush, which he relies on very heavily.  Contrary to some reports, I believe he has room to add about 5-10 lbs of weight.  Lines up primarily in the 1 and 3 technique, but at the NFL level, I think he projects best at the 3 and 5 technique. Has good pad level, drives with his legs, and even when double teamed, seldom gives up ground.  Could do a better job locating the ball, but still has good instincts.  Moves well for a big ugly with decent upper body strength.  Probably not a NT in a 3-4, but could prove to be a solid 3-4 DE.   Would like to see more stunts, but he moves pretty fluid in the midst of the pass rush.

Thanks, I thought Reid ws strictly  a 3.  He could make a great DE.  I'll give you one word of caution though.  I think it is Lindys that says there are questions about his desire to play football.  That screams Tony Ugoh to me.  He is one of those guys who doesn't get taken high because he isn't a freak athlete, and then someone gets him in the 5th and he becomes a longtime starter.  If his head is on his shoulders, he could be a steal.

Thanks, I thought Reid ws strictly  a 3.  He could make a great DE.  I'll give you one word of caution though.  I think it is Lindys that says there are questions about his desire to play football.  That screams Tony Ugoh to me.  He is one of those guys who doesn't get taken high because he isn't a freak athlete, and then someone gets him in the 5th and he becomes a longtime starter.  If his head is on his shoulders, he could be a steal.

I agree.  I think he could be a pretty good pickup for any team in the 5th.  I don't know what route we go in the draft, but if we're in the market for a DT/DE prospect, I'd give him a look.

I've like Reid for a long time. To me, there's no question about his ability as a player, and I think that ability will translate to the NFL. He'll have to get stronger, of course, but that's not a problem when your job is to work out. I saw him as a 3-tech, ideally, not a 5, definitely not a 1. I'd draft him with a late round pick, depending on how the board looks, but there are other defensive linemen that I think are more ready and/or more versatile and/or fill a need better (like someone with NT potential, like Beau Allen, etc.)

I don't think there's anything to the reports that his heart isn't in football. He's refuted those claims directly. It seems to me like a stereotype, based on him being a scholarly guy from the Ivy League. He's artistic, he's involved in poetry I think, etc. That doesn't mean he's not serious about playing football. I think that's bogus, unless I missed something.

I've like Reid for a long time. To me, there's no question about his ability as a player, and I think that ability will translate to the NFL. He'll have to get stronger, of course, but that's not a problem when your job is to work out. I saw him as a 3-tech, ideally, not a 5, definitely not a 1. I'd draft him with a late round pick, depending on how the board looks, but there are other defensive linemen that I think are more ready and/or more versatile and/or fill a need better (like someone with NT potential, like Beau Allen, etc.)

I don't think there's anything to the reports that his heart isn't in football. He's refuted those claims directly. It seems to me like a stereotype, based on him being a scholarly guy from the Ivy League. He's artistic, he's involved in poetry I think, etc. That doesn't mean he's not serious about playing football. I think that's bogus, unless I missed something.

Justin Ellis and Daniel McCullers are other possibilities I like, but I've seen them mocked anywhere from the 3rd to the 5th, so it's tough to know where they might go and whether we'd want to take them.  I'd venture to say we're probably not taking a NT prospect in the 2nd or 3rd, but it would be pretty tough to pass up on if a guy like Hageman fell to us.