Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wilfork asks to be released. [Merge]

Dustin

This is something you accept if you're a Patriots fan. They've unceremoniously parted ways with a lot of great players over the years. Belichick always plays the "get rid of 'em one year early instead of one year too late" philosophy. Your head agrees, but your heart doesn't... hard to argue with the results though. The Pats were among the five youngest teams in the NFL last season. That kind of blows my mind.

#Patriots Pro Bowl DT Vince Wilfork has asked that the team release him after 10 seasons in New England, according to sources.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)

March 13, 2014

He's upset with the money they paid Revis.....and the asking to take a pay cut..

I bet they work this out..and he takes the cut..they need him and he's rehabbing...so he needs them

Over Redding? Considering Cory had double the production of RJF, I find that hard to believe. 

they play different positions, in the 3-4 theres not just two DEs one is a DE one is a DT which is confusing because DT normally play the a gap in a 4-3 (and then theres the nose guard as well). i dont fully understand the difference but i know there is one.

also rjf wasnt as bad as people say, he missed a lot of games he was on pace to have as many sacks as redding or more and i believe more tackles too

jones starting over redding might even increase his sack total as they can put him in the a-gap on 3rd and long or have him play de on 3rd and long and have more energy and go all out

He's upset with the money they paid Revis.....and the asking to take a pay cut..

I bet they work this out..and he takes the cut..they need him and he's rehabbing...so he needs them

He is not mad about Revis, he is too smart for that. He wants the Pats to honor his contract but no one is going to pay $8mil. Your second sentence is spot on. He should work out as they are better together then apart. His most logical landing place would be Buffalo. Yikes.

He is not mad about Revis, he is too smart for that. He wants the Pats to honor his contract but no one is going to pay $8mil. Your second sentence is spot on. He should work out as they are better together then apart. His most logical landing place would be Buffalo. Yikes.

Buffalo.....he'd have to be awfully upset to go there..

I still think he's probably upset with the combination of paying Revis and asking him to, in effect, subsidize it through a pay cut...

...He' s also probably worried about his injury....and his future...I would be..

I'm guessing (maybe Im being naive) that he'll eventually see that if NE didn't want/need him, they'd have cut him without asking him to  take the cut..

For example,,the Bears didn't ask Julius Peppers to take a cut....they just let him go...

The Pats still want Vince.....they just want Revis and Vince

Buffalo.....he'd have to be awfully upset to go there..

I still think he's probably upset with the combination of paying Revis and asking him to, in effect, subsidize it through a pay cut...

...He' s also probably worried about his injury....and his future...I would be..

I'm guessing (maybe Im being naive) that he'll eventually see that if NE didn't want/need him, they'd have cut him without asking him to  take the cut..

For example,,the Bears didn't ask Julius Peppers to take a cut....they just let him go...

The Pats still want Vince.....they just want Revis and Vince

The Pats had asked Vince to restructure a couple of weeks ago before they signed Revis. The Revis signing is irrelevant IMO as he is only counting 7 mil against the cap so they have the money to keep Vince at the 8 mil if they wanted to. The problem is he is 33 and coming off of an achilles and looked to be in decline at the start of last season before the injury. No team will pay him 8 mil and the Pats know that. It is a matter if they can reach an agreement at a lower number. It is possible that Vince has hurt feelings like Welker and will sign anywhere else. That is why I brought up Buffalo. Most logical place for him given Pepper Johnson is there and Brandon Spikes.

The Pats had asked Vince to restructure a couple of weeks ago before they signed Revis. The Revis signing is irrelevant IMO as he is only counting 7 mil against the cap so they have the money to keep Vince at the 8 mil if they wanted to. The problem is he is 33 and coming off of an achilles and looked to be in decline at the start of last season before the injury. No team will pay him 8 mil and the Pats know that. It is a matter if they can reach an agreement at a lower number. It is possible that Vince has hurt feelings like Welker and will sign anywhere else. That is why I brought up Buffalo. Most logical place for him given Pepper Johnson is there and Brandon Spikes.

a.m.

That's only partially what I'm reading...Vince obviously didn't want a pay cut (who does) and he felt disrespected but he knows what you just said and he didn't publically ask to be released until they spent 11.5 mil on Revis..,,who is also on the long comeback from a big time injury..

I am not in the room but I don't believe he's not saying..."You're paying for Revis, who is reconstructed.. is in decline...and plays the perimiter ..and has done nothing for you yet..... you're not willing to pay for me..and I've played hard for you for years..and I play inside???

...I understand how he feels but I think he's got to get his head around taking the cut because its best for both....He's not going to Buffalo..in my mind..because Buffalo cant contend for the playoffs....and lower money plus losing is not a solution

a.m.

That's only partially what I'm reading...Vince obviously didn't want a pay cut (who does) and he felt disrespected but he knows what you just said and he didn't publically ask to be released until they spent 11.5 mil on Revis..,,who is also on the long comeback from a big time injury..

I am not in the room but I don't believe he's not saying..."You're paying for Revis, who is reconstructed.. is in decline...and plays the perimiter ..and has done nothing for you yet..... you're not willing to pay for me..and I've played hard for you for years..and I play inside???

...I understand how he feels but I think he's got to get his head around taking the cut because its best for both....He's not going to Buffalo..in my mind..because Buffalo cant contend for the playoffs....and lower money plus losing is not a solution

I am not saying the Revis deal is not playing a part on Vince's end but it is not a part on the Pats end. Like I said they asked him to restructure before Revis and could still fit him in at the 8 mil as Revis is only counting 7 mil against the cap.

Revis is not coming off major surgery as he played all 16 games last year. He was hurt in 2013. Vince is coming off major surgery this year and is almost 400 lbs with an achilles vs and ACL and also four years older than Revis.

In terms of Buffalo, Vince has a ring from 2004 with the Pats. He is going to where the money is and the acceptance. Buffalo is a logical landing place with his former line coach now there as the DC but I agree it is better for him to stay with the Pats but I would never expect a player to stay if there is more money to make elsewhere.

I am not saying the Revis deal is not playing a part on Vince's end but it is not a part on the Pats end. Like I said they asked him to restructure before Revis and could still fit him in at the 8 mil as Revis is only counting 7 mil against the cap.

Revis is not coming off major surgery as he played all 16 games last year. He was hurt in 2013. Vince is coming off major surgery this year and is almost 400 lbs with an achilles vs and ACL and also four years older than Revis.

In terms of Buffalo, Vince has a ring from 2004 with the Pats. He is going to where the money is and the acceptance. Buffalo is a logical landing place with his former line coach now there as the DC but I agree it is better for him to stay with the Pats but I would never expect a player to stay if there is more money to make elsewhere.

Almost 400 is an exagerration..isn't it?..and 2004 is 10 year ago

Revis most certainly is coming off major surgery..he's just a year removed....and theres no question he's not the player he once was

I can accept that Vince feels he should be allowed to try to come back....even though he also is not the player he once was..

and , in fact, the Pats are agreeing with that....they just want to pay him a little  less..so they can fit in others get under the cap././

I think it works out ..he needs time to calm his ego and he accepts the cut.....the difference between $11 mi and $7 mil is not worth moving to a place where the fans want immediate production because they don't know you.

He's a football icon in New England..the way I look at it

Almost 400 is an exagerration..isn't it?..and 2004 is 10 year ago

Revis most certainly is coming off major surgery..he's just a year removed....and theres no question he's not the player he once was

I can accept that Vince feels he should be allowed to try to come back....even though he also is not the player he once was..

and , in fact, the Pats are agreeing with that....they just want to pay him a little  less..so they can fit in others get under the cap././

I think it works out ..he needs time to calm his ego and he accepts the cut.....the difference between $11 mi and $7 mil is not worth moving to a place where the fans want immediate production because they don't know you.

He's a football icon in New England..the way I look at it

He is closer to 400 then 300. ;)

Revis still ranks out as the top CB and TB under utilized him in zone. We'll see how he does but Bill feels he can be the same type player as he would never shell out 12 mil to just anyone.

Vince's cap hit is 11 but his salary is 8. I would think the Pats want him to go down to 4 or 5 but who knows. I agree though he is better off in NE. He can finish out his career and go into broadcasting or coaching. The world would be his oyster with Kraft in his back pocket. I would imagine Kraft is having these type of discussions with him right now.

This thread is about Wilfork, but again Colts fans bring up Revis who will be 29 years old for the 2014 season and has already had a season to get his knee back in strength as he's in his second season after surgery.  With ACL surgeries it usually takes about 2 seasons to get strength back.

Now Reggie Wayne will be 36 through part of the 2014 season and hasn't played a game yet since blowing out his ACL and having surgery.

Gronk?  He'll be turning 25.

The problem with the Wilfork situation is the sentimental value and emotional connection the fans have for him from past accomplishments.

Wilfork will be 33 in November and is coming off an achilles injury.  Achilles tend to take longer to come back from than knee injuries.  Release him.  Free up space.  Use the money to sign new rookies drafted.  Use this draft to build the D line.

Once a player is unhappy and doesn't want to restructure or take a pay cut when the team asks him it's not a good idea to keep that player around.  He can be a problem in the locker room.  It's happen before where a player doesn't get his contract and becomes divisive and manipulative in the locker room.  Becomes lazy and loses motivation.

My cousin knows a guy who goes to the Pats' training camp to watch the players and he said last year going into the 2013 season that Wilfork looked slower.  That was before he blew out his achilles.  And the first couple of games before he blew out his achilles he wasn't having a good few games.

I think it's best for the Pats and Vince to move on.  Vince should see if he can get a better deal on another team.

They must have tried to talk him into a pay cut or restructure. 

Bummer.

If the situation is untenable then they should work a trade out for him. I'm guessing he'd be welcomed in Houston (Crennel is there now), maybe Buffalo (Pepper Johnson is there now)... the Patriots won't get much but they'll get something.

Thanks Vince. You were and always will be a great Patriot.

Man, this is a sad day. Much love & respect for Wilfork who I just can't picture outside of a silver NE helmet. Wilfork is a beast! I still have faith in his abilities. I could see him in Houston pretty easy as GP said. A nice fit too. 

The problem with the Wilfork situation is the sentimental value and emotional connection the fans have for him from past accomplishments.

Wilfork will be 33 in November and is coming off an achilles injury.  Achilles tend to take longer to come back from than knee injuries.  Release him.  Free up space.  Use the money to sign new rookies drafted.  Use this draft to build the D line.

Once a player is unhappy and doesn't want to restructure or take a pay cut when the team asks him it's not a good idea to keep that player around.  He can be a problem in the locker room.  It's happen before where a player doesn't get his contract and becomes divisive and manipulative in the locker room.  Becomes lazy and loses motivation.

My cousin knows a guy who goes to the Pats' training camp to watch the players and he said last year going into the 2013 season that Wilfork looked slower.  That was before he blew out his achilles.  And the first couple of games before he blew out his achilles he wasn't having a good few games.

I think it's best for the Pats and Vince to move on.  Vince should see if he can get a better deal on another team.

You don't treat Wilfork like a chump. You show respect toward him for everything he has meant to Tom Brady, BB, & that glorious fan base.

If he does leave Foxboro, I do expect the Grey Hoodie to sing his praises in a farewell news conference like WR Randy Moss & LB Tedy Bruschi. You owe Vince that much. 

This is something you accept if you're a Patriots fan. They've unceremoniously parted ways with a lot of great players over the years. Belichick always plays the "get rid of 'em one year early instead of one year too late" philosophy. Your head agrees, but your heart doesn't... hard to argue with the results though. The Pats were among the five youngest teams in the NFL last season. That kind of blows my mind.

Sorry pal. Letting go of a special player like Wilfork is never easy though. Yes, I realize it's not a foregone conclusion yet. I have a tremendous amount of respect for your franchise GP & I know that BB knows exactly what he's doing, but it still hurts I know. Hang in there buddy. 

Wow, #75 gone from Massachusetts...That just astonishes me....I'm speechless if it comes to pass. Unbelievable...

No. Pats have not released him yet. Most think they are in talks about his contract to try to restructure to get him to stay.

As things develope I believe Bianca will come around and let Vince sign a fair deal. I love the idea for a PO'd Vince in the middle.

I'm wondering, now that four days have gone by with no activity, if cooler heads are prevailing a bit. The Patriots will save some money on the cap by cutting him, but still would have something like $4M in dead money. They'd have to eat that cap charge and let him walk for nothing... by releasing him they wouldn't even get a compensatory pick. It appears as though they can still manage to keep him and stay under the cap (pending a few other moves), so maybe Vince isn't gone yet after all. 

I'm wondering, now that four days have gone by with no activity, if cooler heads are prevailing a bit. The Patriots will save some money on the cap by cutting him, but still would have something like $4M in dead money. They'd have to eat that cap charge and let him walk for nothing... by releasing him they wouldn't even get a compensatory pick. It appears as though they can still manage to keep him and stay under the cap (pending a few other moves), so maybe Vince isn't gone yet after all. 

Yeah that is what I am hoping. At first I wanted them to release then and save the 8 but the 4 mil in dead money is a killer. Vince kind of did the Pats a favor by asking for his release as he painted himself as the bad guy who is disgruntled over the Revis signing. It has kind of bought the Pats some brownie points with fans who have been waiting for them to sign a player like Revis and now it looks like Vince is not a team guy. I love Vince but he has to know it is best for him to stay with NE right now. He only has a couple of years left anyways, has made some major cash in his career, has a ring and can basically can do whatever he wants after football here in NE - coach, broadcast, open an "all you can eat" restaurant. ;)

Yeah that is what I am hoping. At first I wanted them to release then and save the 8 but the 4 mil in dead money is a killer. Vince kind of did the Pats a favor by asking for his release as he painted himself as the bad guy who is disgruntled over the Revis signing. It has kind of bought the Pats some brownie points with fans who have been waiting for them to sign a player like Revis and now it looks like Vince is not a team guy. I love Vince but he has to know it is best for him to stay with NE right now. He only has a couple of years left anyways, has made some major cash in his career, has a ring and can basically can do whatever he wants after football here in NE - coach, broadcast, open an "all you can eat" restaurant. ;)

Nice post. The tough thing is that when a player like Vince is in the twilight of his NFL career I don't hold the "team guy" guilt trip above Wilfork's head because the GM, the HC, & the owner can cut you whenever they feel like it despite all the division titles, playoff games, & Lombardi trophies an athlete has raised above their heads & helped to achieve themselves by just "doing their job."

Where's the franchise loyalty? It doesn't really exist across 32 teams. My point is this: Vince's multiple years of blood & sweat in the trenches is worth something & that loyalty deserves to be rewarded, even though if it's cheaper to release you; they will drop the hammer. 

I hope so GP. I wanna see Vince retire as a Patriot. After Manning got his walking papers in INDY, I never wanna see a respected seasoned vet get cut again. It's just wrong. 

Yes, I know Montana finished his career in Kansas City, but it sucked to me. Willie McGinest to the Browns was messed up too like amfootball said earlier too. I agree 100%

That's why I respect Brady, when he's says that he's going to retire as a Patriot even if he gets cuts someday. I admire Tom for saying that publicly. When NE says goodbye & thanks for the rings, Brady will step away from football completely with no regrets or fresh starts in a new city. Pure class IMO. 

they play different positions, in the 3-4 theres not just two DEs one is a DE one is a DT which is confusing because DT normally play the a gap in a 4-3 (and then theres the nose guard as well). i dont fully understand the difference but i know there is one.

also rjf wasnt as bad as people say, he missed a lot of games he was on pace to have as many sacks as redding or more and i believe more tackles too

jones starting over redding might even increase his sack total as they can put him in the a-gap on 3rd and long or have him play de on 3rd and long and have more energy and go all out

That is not my understanding of the 3-4. However...my guess is that you'll see Arthur Jones on the field a lot at NT and at DE. 

RJF         JONES        REDDING

or 

JONES     CHAPMAN    REDDING

depending on the down.