Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hypothetical way to rebuild a team

wabbwubb

Let me start this buy saying I don't actually think a team will do this but I'm bored and my mind wonders while waiting for free agency to begin. If some on this forum knows that there is a rule in place that wouldn't let this happen please let me know other wise here goes the ramble.....

Lets say team A (in this case we act like its the colts in the future since this is a colts forum) needs to rebuild and they have no elite QB almost like Oakland that's what got my brain going. In Oaklands case they have almost 60 mil in cap space. Could they... let's say let 30 mil of that roll over to next year? Or even in an extrem case 50mil and only sign minimal people like draftees/cheap contacts to fill the roster. They will intern have a top 10 pick next year again and like 80-110 mil dollars to spend in free agency. Easily being able to sign anyone they would like and front loading contracts to make the next few years of salary great. What are your thoughts could you see a team "tanking" a few years getting 3 top 10 picks and rolling cap to get one gigantic year to sign every free agent they want? Let me know your thoughts if you think it's a dumb topic remember you don't have to post :) but I would love to hear other people's thoughts and if your mind wonders like mine does about colts and football.

Tanking gets you nowhere though. Only time you should tank is for a franchise QB. But even so, guys like Rodgers, Luck, etc... only come around once every 10 years. But yes, you have to spend a certain amount. You can't just Rollover cap like cell phone minutes.

The best way to rebuild is to get a franchise QB if there is one in the draft. Then surround him with weapons. Then choose a defensive front to build on. 

They only have to spend 89% over a 4 yr. period. So in essence, they could literally spend 10 % of their cap for the next 2 yrs. and then in 2016 spend whatever it would take to get to that 89% cap. Since we don't know what the cap will be over the next 3 seasons that number could be huge.

They only have to spend 89% over a 4 yr. period. So in essence, they could literally spend 10 % of their cap for the next 2 yrs. and then in 2016 spend whatever it would take to get to that 89% cap. Since we don't know what the cap will be over the next 3 seasons that number could be huge.

I can't see any team doing it but its crazy to think that it's a possibility

I just can't see it at all, no owner would be on board with tanking for 3 years straight, say you tank the first year and you have the opportunity to draft luck (it's 2012 in this situation) what would you tell him? What would you tell any player you sign?

Ya the franchise QB would really tear the plan up if you got him in year 1 of this thing, but it's fun to to think of other ways a team may go at building.