Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Would Your Two Round Mock Look Now?

While doing these scenarios I recently conjured up a trade scenario and draft of my own. If Manning were to be healthy and come back next season, and the Colts finish as the worse team in football, which I expect them too, then what realistic scenarios could there be? Consider this: Mock with my trade scenarios-

The Colts trade the number one pick to Miami for this year’s first round (2nd overall) and second round (34thoverall) and CB Vonte Davis. The Colts then trade down again to Seattle who wants Matt Barkley, giving up there first round (6th overall) and second round (38th overall) and later picks not necessary in this scenario. And then another trade down to Cleveland who want Trent Richardson, so we get both their first round picks (9th and 25th from Atlanta) and their second round pick (41st overall).

That gives the Colts the following picks in the first two rounds:

Round One- (9th and 25th) Round Two- (33rd, 34th, 38th, and 41st)

How would your two round mock look now? Consider the Colts have Vonte Davis now too!

Round one Pick 9- Justin Blackmon WR

Round one Pick 25- Alfonzo Denard CB

Round Two Pick 33- Manti Te’o MLB

Round Two Pick 34- Jerel Worthy DT

Round Two Pick 38- Kelechi Osemele OG

Round Two Pick 41- Mark Barron SS

I'm not sure that some of the guys you have listed will be available at the time you have them going. For instance, Manti T'eo won't make it to the second round, and I don't think Worthy will either. So, using your scenario, here's what I came up with.

Round one Pick 9- Morris Claiborne - CB, LSU

Round one Pick 25- Jerel Worthy - DT, Mich. St.

Round Two Pick 33- Ronnell Lewis - OLB, Oklahoma

Round Two Pick 34- Mohammed Sanu - WR, Rutgers

Round Two Pick 38- Kelechi Osemele - OG, Iowa State

Round Two Pick 41- Mark Barron - SS, Alabama

This draft is stacked deep with talent at WR. I'd wait until the 2nd round or later to draft a receiver with much better value. The Colts don't need the biggest, tallest, strongest wideouts. It'd be a nice luxury, but Peyton's timing and accuracy can turn even average or small sized receivers into pro-bowlers. All they need is quickness, reliable hands, and the ability to run precise routes.

In contrast, the team's secondary needs upgrades in size, strength, and athleticism. Our small, undersized DBs cannot handle big & tall receivers like Brandon Marshall, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Dwayne Bowe, etc.

With Angry Pat, I don't see the need for another ILB unless the team plans to part ways with Gary Brackett.

Here are my picks:

Round One Pick 9 - Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama or Morris Claiborne CB LSU

Round One Pick 25 - BPA among Zach Brown OLB NC / David DeCastro OG Stanford / Brandon Thompson DT Clemson / Alameda Ta'amu DT Washington

Round Two Pick 33 - Cordy Glenn OG Georgia or Keleche Osemele OG/OT Iowa State

Round Two Pick 34 - Best Remaining DT among Josh Chapman, Jerel Worthy, Devon Still, Dontari Poe, Kendall Reyes

Round Two Pick 38 - Mark Barron SS Alabama or Ray Ray Armstrong SS Miami

Round Two Pick 41 - Jeff Fuller WR Texas A&M or Nick Toon WR Wisconsin

in my senario the colts trade there 1st overall pick to the Browns 2 1st rounders and get

1st- Johnathan Martin: Kalil will be gone and he can hold down the RT and push Ijalana inside to G

1st- Alameda Ta'amu: A top DT prospect with great run stopping abilitys which we need were ranked 31st

2nd- Kirk Cousins: Reminds me alot of Dalton which the colts were very intrasted in last year

After thinking about it, not sure if the Colts really need more than an extra couple of picks, both in the first 2 rounds. We do have all 7 picks in the draft. So, with 9 picks, we can draft pretty good talent, IMO and develop our current draft picks as well. Having said that, I will play along :) and make my picks:

round 1 pick 9- CB Morris Claiborne

round 1 pick 25- QB Ryan Tannehill

round 2 pick 33- DT Devon Still

round 2 pick 34- WR Dwight Jones

round 2 pick 38- CB Jayron Hosley

round 2 pick 41- OG Kelechi Osemele (second back-to-back small school OL pick)

It is a weak safety class again and I doubt any safeties will go before the middle of the second round in the late 40s

9. Morris Claiborne, CB LSU

25. Brandon Thompson, DT Clemson, or Jerel Worthy, DT Michigan State - The colts need this 1st rounder to be in the mid 1st round so we can get NT Brandon Thompson

33. Kelechi Osemele, OG/OT Iowa State

34. Ray Ray Armstrong, SS Miami

38. Alphonzo Dennard, CB Nebraska if he falls or Stephon Gilmore, CB South Carolina, maybe Zac Brown OLB North Carolina

There are too many early picks this mock draft is confusing me!

Edited by Ramblinwreck7

2nd round is probably too high for Nick Foles. 1st round is INSANELY high for Ryan Tannehill. Tannehill getting taken in the first round would be twice the shock as when the Vikings took Ponder last year.

Also, if Jonathan Martin is drafted, I would imagine Castanzo will move over to RT, and Ijalana would still move to G.

round 1 pick 9- CB Morris Claiborne

round 1 pick 25- DT Jerel Worthy

round 2 pick 33- G Kelechi Osemele

round 2 pick 34- MLB Manti Te'o (assuming he stays as a top 2nd rounder but he'll likely move back up)

round 2 pick 38- SS T.J. McDonald or Mark Barron

round 2 pick 41- WR Nick Toon

or

round 1 pick 9- DT Brandon Thompson

round 1 pick 25- CB Chase Minnifield, Alphonso Dennard or Janoris Jenkins

round 2 pick 34- MLB Manti Te'o (assuming he stays as a top 2nd rounder but he'll likely move back up)

or

round 1 pick 9- MLB Luke Kuechly

round 1 pick 25- DT Jerel Worthy

round 2 pick 34- CB Chase Minnifield, Alphonso Dennard or Janoris Jenkins

Edited by Jason

2nd round is probably too high for Nick Foles. 1st round is INSANELY high for Ryan Tannehill. Tannehill getting taken in the first round would be twice the shock as when the Vikings took Ponder last year.

Also, if Jonathan Martin is drafted, I would imagine Castanzo will move over to RT, and Ijalana would still move to G.

Nick Foles has moved up from a projected 5th round pick earlier this year already to a round 3-4 pick. If he stays consistent I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him taken in the 2nd round, possibly even late first because imo he's the best QB outside of Luck, Barkley and Jones and I would even say he should be considered in the same group as those guys.

I totally agree about Tannehill simply for the fact he doesn't have a lot of QB experience. Earlier this season he was considered a 1st round pick but now is a 1-2.

It'll be interesting to see where these 2 guys wind up being taken.

It is very intriguing to consider who is more valuable with that first pick, Morris Claiborne or Brandon Thompson, I think the Colts have a dire need at both positions. It really comes down to the drop off after that or who can be an instant contributor, is Thompson a start day one instant impact? If yes take him and Denard with the second pick, as he is the second best coverage man to man corner. If Thompson, the thought best DT is not an instant contributor you have to go Claiborne. I am liking Dontari Poe big size, but question his conference and the talent he faces. Does anyone know anything about him?

Round 1 Pick 9 - Morris Claiborne, CB LSU

Round 1 Pick 25 - Manti Te'o, ILB Notre Dame or Dont'a Hightower, ILB Alabama

Round 2 Pick 33 - Nick Toon, WR Wisconsin

Round 2 Pick 34 - Mark Barron, SS Alabama

Round 2 Pick 38 - Jared Crick DT/DE Nebraska

Round 2 Pick 41 - Stephon Gilmore, CB South Carolina

Edited by CCH

Round 1 Pick 9 - Morris Claiborne, CB LSU

Round 1 Pick 25 - Manti Te'o, ILB Notre Dame or Dont'a Hightower, ILB Alabama

Round 2 Pick 33 - Nick Toon, WR Wisconsin

Round 2 Pick 34 - Mark Barron, SS Alabama

Round 2 Pick 38 - Jared Crick DT/DE Nebraska

Round 2 Pick 41 - Stephon Gilmore, CB South Carolina

I just wanted to add that I don't think the Colts would be interested in Hightower unless they were going to use him strictly as a DE...unless we wind up switching to a 3-4. I think Hightower is more a Jack LB who's best value is with a 3-4 team.

I just wanted to add that I don't think the Colts would be interested in Hightower unless they were going to use him strictly as a DE...unless we wind up switching to a 3-4. I think Hightower is more a Jack LB who's best value is with a 3-4 team.

DE? A lot of mock drafts have him going to the Ravens and will be Ray Lewis' heir. He's going to be an ILB in the NFL.

DE? A lot of mock drafts have him going to the Ravens and will be Ray Lewis' heir. He's going to be an ILB in the NFL.

In a 3-4 defense, yes he would be a LB and he'd be a perfect fit with Baltimore. But in a 4-3 he'd more likely be a DE. He and Courtney Upshaw both do a lot of pass rushing and often times they line up with their hands on the ground like a DE. IF you wanted an ILB for a 4-3 from the Alabama team it'd be Nico Johnson.

In a 3-4 defense, yes he would be a LB and he'd be a perfect fit with Baltimore. But in a 4-3 he'd more likely be a DE. He and Courtney Upshaw both do a lot of pass rushing and often times they line up with their hands on the ground like a DE. IF you wanted an ILB for a 4-3 from the Alabama team it'd be Nico Johnson.

:facepalm: I just understand what you meant. You're right.

Manti Te'o would be a good fit for our defense though imo.

:facepalm: I just understand what you meant. You're right.

Manti Te'o would be a good fit for our defense though imo.

I would LOVE to get Te'o. I finally got a chance to see Luke Kuechly play and he's an outstanding LB as well. I'd also like to get Nigel Bradham in the 4th or 5th round...that would add some incredible depth to our LB core but we'd have to make some trades to acquire several extra picks in order to justify using 2 picks on LBs.

It is very intriguing to consider who is more valuable with that first pick, Morris Claiborne or Brandon Thompson, I think the Colts have a dire need at both positions. It really comes down to the drop off after that or who can be an instant contributor, is Thompson a start day one instant impact? If yes take him and Denard with the second pick, as he is the second best coverage man to man corner. If Thompson, the thought best DT is not an instant contributor you have to go Claiborne. I am liking Dontari Poe big size, but question his conference and the talent he faces. Does anyone know anything about him?

I would say Claiborne because Brandon Thompson would not be an every down DT, he would be a run down NT primarily but he will be a stud on the first 2 downs, IMO. If our main issue is 3rd downs (which is the case), I'd say get the NT later and the CB earlier (and maybe QB too earlier).

Don't study the draft like you guys but watched the game last night,clairborne is a beast.

Morris Claiborne proved last night why the colts should draft him and why I think he's one of the best CB's in college football.

Also, I finally got to see Mark Baron last night and I was impressed. Until I get to focus on Ray Ray Armstrong in a game, I'm 50 50 on both of those SS's right now, they are great players! It was hard to see how Kirkpatrick did, but I hope he is okay after hitting his head like that.

Don't study the draft like you guys but watched the game last night,clairborne is a beast.

Claiborne was very good last night, if we don't get Luck I want the Colts to trade down a bit an get him.

Mark Barron looked impressive too, we should look at him if he's available in the 2nd round. It would be a great start in rebuilding our defense if we get the #1 pick and trade down to get Claiborne/Barron/Te'o to go with Bethea/Freeney/(hopefully)Mathis

I would say Claiborne because Brandon Thompson would not be an every down DT, he would be a run down NT primarily but he will be a stud on the first 2 downs, IMO. If our main issue is 3rd downs (which is the case), I'd say get the NT later and the CB earlier (and maybe QB too earlier).

I think your misjudging Brandon Thompson a little bit. He's got a great burst and can get into the backfield quickly on some plays. I think he could be used on 3rd downs because he looks like a good pass rusher as well.

I would LOVE to get Te'o. I finally got a chance to see Luke Kuechly play and he's an outstanding LB as well. I'd also like to get Nigel Bradham in the 4th or 5th round...that would add some incredible depth to our LB core but we'd have to make some trades to acquire several extra picks in order to justify using 2 picks on LBs.

Philip Wheeler keeps playing better and better! Got a sack today and was all over the field, including on special teams!

I don't have nfl ticket and don't get colts every weekend where i live, why don't they try wheeler at de on passing downs? Let him rush the passer once in a while even if he starts standing up at de. Or has he gotten the chance to do that?

That's what I want the colts to try Jerry Hughes at, "stand up" defensive end. The colts need to blitz their LB's more and do a better job at it. That means take away the short throws that counter the blitz to allow the extra rushers to get to the quarterback.

Edited by Ramblinwreck7

@RamblinWreck7- Didn’t you shoot down my idea on the other forum? :rolleyes: I proposed a new defensive

scheme and in my post, I called for a combination of the 4-3 Under where there

is a 5th man on the LOS as another pass rusher i.e. Jerry Hughes! I suggested this with a 4-3 Cover Two, similar to the Tampa 2 except there is man coverage on the outside.

@RamblinWreck7- Didn’t you shoot down my idea on the other forum? :rolleyes: I proposed a new defensive

scheme and in my post, I called for a combination of the 4-3 Under where there

is a 5th man on the LOS as another pass rusher i.e. Jerry Hughes! I suggested this with a 4-3 Cover Two, similar to the Tampa 2 except there is man coverage on the outside.

No, I'm the guy who wanted the colts to use a base 4-3 defense with the ablility to use man to man coverage and zone coverage and to be able to change to the 4-3 under, the 4-3 over, and other creative formations that would perfectly counter what the opponent was doing on offense. Jerry Hughes can be that rushing linebacker in that situation as long he is only blitzing and trying to get after the quarterback. I don't think he would do to well in coverage unless it was a zone blitz where a couple of D-lineman dropped back into coverage and other linebackers and cornerbacks blitzed. Philip Wheeler needs to stay at OLB because he is an effective blitzer who is also a very good linebacker.

And I'm the guy who wanted the colts to use Jerry Hughes as a "stand up" DE if that's what fits his skill set the best! I posted a whole topic on it I think, or a long comment about it!

Edited by Ramblinwreck7

Yeah I remember you said that but it almost seemed as if you were knocking the idea, you just would like to see more formations with the Under, as I mentioned also. I like Wheeler and Hughes as that 5th man on the LOS blitzing, that’s if the Colts intend to keep Hughes, I think Wheeler is average at best anything other than blitzing where he shows some potential.

After evaluating more players and given the current big board of where players are to fall, assuming Claiborne will be gone before #9, and based on the Colts Team needs, my updated version:

Round one Pick 9- Trent Richardson RB

Round one Pick 25- Vontaze Burfict OLB

Round Two Pick 33- Janoris Jenkins CB

Round Two Pick 34- Kelechi Osemele OL

Round Two Pick 38- Dontari Poe NT

Round Two Pick 41- Mark Barron SS