Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian Says May Switch From Tampa 2 Next Year Pending Personnel

bayone

• A caller asked about the Tampa-2 defense and if it no longer works in today's NFL. Polian answered that the Tampa-2 should get the opponent's offense off field on 3rd and 6 or greater '75% of the time.' Colts are no where near that percentage.

• Polian stated he is 'open' to changing defense away from Tampa-2 after this season based on the Colts current personnel.

http://www.stampedeb...how-week-8-2011

Why would Polian even be here after this season?

Questions:

Why is Bill Polian making defensive suggestions? That's the job for the DC.

Why did it take Bill Polian 10 years to see our scheme has been flawed?

SMH, 10 years too late Bill, now we are stuck with changing our defense (which is gonna take more time) in Peyton Manning's last years. Totally mishandled.

Amen to that - Peyton should have at least 3 rings by now. Sadly, I doubt that he'll get a second - especially as a Colt.

You're glad we are 0-8 and may go 0-16!?!?!? Parcells never called the Defensive calls, even as a HC. He had Belichek as D coordinator who has complete control of the Defense and various coaches serving as O coordinator that called the plays. Polian is nothing more than a ot of control, has been egomanic that is slowly running the Colts into the ground. Where is Caldwell? Do he not even have the balls to confront Polian (especially since he will be gone after this season).

Well said - Owner, GM, HC roles are totally screwed up in this team! Irsay ("James Steven Irsay, CEO/Owner" as he likes to say) needs to sort it out - his FO has proven itself TOTALLY incapable of doing so. But, I'm not at all optimistic - he'd rather tweet silly rock lyrics.........

Bill Polian isn't making defensive suggestions, he's managing all football operations. The coaching staff is hired BY Polian with full agreement of what general schemes they are going to run as a prerequisite of their employment. There can only be one person truly in charge in an organization, and Irsay gave that responsibility to Polian (just like in Boston it is Belichick, and in Dallas it is the owner himself - every team has someone.) He isn't egotistically over-reaching, he is doing his job. I think it is highly unlikely that he is micro-managing the defense, he's just speaking for the team and letting us fans know that the organization isn't any happier with the defense then we are, and that steps will be taken to fix it. What exactly would you prefer that he say or do?

It didn't take Polian ten years to see that our scheme was flawed, the scheme was only put in place after the LAST season in which we gave up more than 30 points per game. It was done for solid reasons, and the team has had nothing but success with it until now. And however much of that success you want to attribute to Peyton, don't forget that many of those years the defense was in the top ten in the league in points allowed, and the entire point of the scheme was to allow them to manipulate the salary cap to afford Peyton and his toys in the first place. The fact that this years team has issues and that they are considering changes does NOT mean that they have been using the wrong scheme for ten years. The league changes, available personnel changes, and you adjust. It is Polians job to recognize the need and lead the change.

Too much logic here. Polian bad man! Polian bad!

• A caller asked about the Tampa-2 defense and if it no longer works in today's NFL. Polian answered that the Tampa-2 should get the opponent's offense off field on 3rd and 6 or greater '75% of the time.' Colts are no where near that percentage.

• Polian stated he is 'open' to changing defense away from Tampa-2 after this season based on the Colts current personnel.

http://www.stampedeb...how-week-8-2011

Me personally .... I just tired of hearing Bill P's talk.... the team is win less and every week he makes excuses...

I'd like to hear someone in this organization just say "hey, we suck.... and things ARE GOING TO CHANGE"

Bill Polian isn't making defensive suggestions, he's managing all football operations. The coaching staff is hired BY Polian with full agreement of what general schemes they are going to run as a prerequisite of their employment. There can only be one person truly in charge in an organization, and Irsay gave that responsibility to Polian (just like in Boston it is Belichick, and in Dallas it is the owner himself - every team has someone.) He isn't egotistically over-reaching, he is doing his job. I think it is highly unlikely that he is micro-managing the defense, he's just speaking for the team and letting us fans know that the organization isn't any happier with the defense then we are, and that steps will be taken to fix it. What exactly would you prefer that he say or do?

It didn't take Polian ten years to see that our scheme was flawed, the scheme was only put in place after the LAST season in which we gave up more than 30 points per game. It was done for solid reasons, and the team has had nothing but success with it until now. And however much of that success you want to attribute to Peyton, don't forget that many of those years the defense was in the top ten in the league in points allowed, and the entire point of the scheme was to allow them to manipulate the salary cap to afford Peyton and his toys in the first place. The fact that this years team has issues and that they are considering changes does NOT mean that they have been using the wrong scheme for ten years. The league changes, available personnel changes, and you adjust. It is Polians job to recognize the need and lead the change.

I agree with this, the Tampa 2 will win but it requires 2 things.... pressure from the front 4, and DB's that can tackle.

Indy has had this most years, but the last few..... it's like the Front Office has just went to sleep.

That said, I'm ready to kick the T2 to the curb....

Me personally .... I just tired of hearing Bill P's talk.... the team is win less and every week he makes excuses...

I'd like to hear someone in this organization just say "hey, we suck.... and things ARE GOING TO CHANGE"

Amen to that! Tweetie-Pie, of course, says change is complex, takes time, blah, blah, blah.................... doing the best they can............

Amen to that - Peyton should have at least 3 rings by now. Sadly, I doubt that he'll get a second - especially as a Colt.

EXACTLY! It disgusts me that the GOAT might retire with one ring. I know people will say Dan does not have any, but truthfully, Peyton is better than Dan and almost any other QB that has played the game. I appreciate we were able to get him one, but the chances we had to get him are gone in my opinion.

Right, but in a base Cover 2 (which is dramatically different than the Tampa 2), we would really only need to look at cover corners and a NT. Fortunately, the upcoming draft is LOADED with CB talent, and Powers would be able to hold his own if the rest of the defense were doing it's job. It's covering a bubble for extended periods of time that proved fatal to the existing, all-zone scheme.

There also appears to be some talent in Miami at the NT spot, and we may be in a great position to trade to them...

Quoted for truth, two lockdown corners and a strong fat guy in the middle would facelift this defense if we stop dropping our MLB 15 yards down the field. I think this is the more intelligent way to go rather than scrap the 4-3 for the 3-4 which requires much more personel changes.

Quoted for truth, two lockdown corners and a strong fat guy in the middle would facelift this defense if we stop dropping our MLB 15 yards down the field. I think this is the more intelligent way to go rather than scrap the 4-3 for the 3-4 which requires much more personel changes.

I tend to agree though pending results of the corners and NT , I am not sure where to place the MLB

Edited by bayone

As an effective manager he has to realize that he cannot have his hands in every cookie jar. That is why actual people fill the other management positions. Polian does micromanages the organization, his ego is such that he has to be the actual face of the organization. He is the only one in the Colts organization with his own tv and radio shows and can be counted on to appear on any media outlet he considers friendly to him yet no one else in the organization is as visible as him, He makes pronouncements that are generally reserved for the HC in every other NFL organization, and, along with his no talent son Chris, have gotten rid of what few good people there was in the organization. I believe the Polians were afraid of any potential competition so they got rid of any perceived rivals.

There are some who think Polian is a genius and I am NOT one of those people. His Buffalo teams were built in the pre salary cap/pre free agency era and yet they lost all 3 SBs when he was GM. His ego clashed with others and he became a problem within the Bills organization and was let go. He then became a league employee/consultant until he became Carolina Panthers GM. His Carolina team along with the Jaguars, came into the league with resources never before given to expansion teams (extra draft choices, extra free agent picks, more players to pick from in the expansion drafts from other NFL teams, more salary cap than other teams...etc.,). It would be hard not to build a good team from scratch given all these advantages. His Carolina teams were only good for a couple years even with all the extras and never advanced beyond the NFC championship game. Once again he wore out his welcome with his ego and control freak foolishness and was fired by Jerry Richardson (Carolina owner),.

His tenure as Colts GM has been mixed at best. We have great regular season records but we fold like tissue paper in the playoffs. I think most of the failures can be attributed to the type of players he drafts. In the playoffs the teams tend to have bigger, stronger, more talented and athletic players than the small Big 10 choirboys Polian favors. Polian has not changed his drafting philosophy continuing to choose these type of players in draft after draft and that is the primary reason we are where we are (A contributing factor is the most incompetent and inept HC and coaching staff in the league).

Edited by Fatboyslim11

Changing from the tampa 2 isn't the problem. We as a team needs to get more physical. A few teams run also the same defense as we do, but their players are more physical and willing to lay a hit. All we do is tackle. I've only seen a handful of hits from out team over the past few years. Since Bob Sanders left we haven't been hitting hard.

Changing from the tampa 2 isn't the problem. We as a team needs to get more physical. A few teams run also the same defense as we do, but their players are more physical and willing to lay a hit. All we do is tackle. I've only seen a handful of hits from out team over the past few years. Since Bob Sanders left we haven't been hitting hard.

Are you telling us that the reason why our defense sucks is because "we don't hit hard enough"? Thats it.......really???

Sorry, but I think it's a lot more in depth than that.

I just said Courtland because I like that he brings a lot of attitude. I admit he does act out at times but I feel like the defense has been longing for that tough guy since the fall of Bob Sanders. It seems like every good defense has that tough guy. Not saying that is what makes a defense good, but that tough guy sets the tone for the rest of the players. (Brian Urlacher, Ray Lewis, Brian Dawkins, Pat Williams, Bob Sanders, etc.)

I wouldn't call Courtland Finnegan a "tough" guy, more like a jerk. There's a reason why Andre Johnson unleashed his frustration on him last year... Finnegan plays dirty. He needs to fix that.

I wouldn't call Courtland Finnegan a "tough" guy, more like a jerk. There's a reason why Andre Johnson unleashed his frustration on him last year... Finnegan plays dirty. He needs to fix that.

Agreed. Finnegan is #2 on my list of "Please don't ever sign to the Colts" list...Vick is #1.

When did Buddy Ryan join the forum?

Edited by Jason

Jerk, Dirty, call it what you want, but you can not sit there and say he would NOT be an upgrade to our team. I don't know what you call playing dirty, but if you get into the WR's face and aggravate him to the point he takes his anger out on you, you are doing your job as a CB. Tell me this, would you rather have a CB like the ones we have where we play pitty pat with the Wr's or courtland finnegan who is a jerk who gets under his opposition skin? He is a good and physical corner, something we lack. No matter how he gets the job done, he gets it done. You may not like the man because he talks trash, pushes, etc. but thats attitude.

Soooo, before Bill Polian, when did the Indianapolis colts attain greatness?

The Colts attained greatness in the 1950s with two NFL championships, several division titles and a SB appearance in the 1960s, A SB win in 1971 and division championships. We sucked in the 80s, generally, sucked less in the 90s and were good in the regular season from 1999-2010 despite our pitiful, sorry * playoff records. The Colts were in existence for over 30 years prior to Polian's arrival and had many successful seasons prior to his arrival. As I have stated numerous times in the past, the Colts history does NOT begin in 1984; it began in Baltimore in the 1950s and if we are going to be accurate, ALL of the Colts history is to be considered, and not just the pre and post Polian Indy era.

The Colts attained greatness in the 1950s with two NFL championships, several division titles and a SB appearance in the 1960s, A SB win in 1971 and division championships. We sucked in the 80s, generally, sucked less in the 90s and were good in the regular season from 1999-2010 despite our pitiful, sorry * playoff records. The Colts were in existence for over 30 years prior to Polian's arrival and had many successful seasons prior to his arrival. As I have stated numerous times in the past, the Colts history does NOT begin in 1984; it began in Baltimore in the 1950s and if we are going to be accurate, ALL of the Colts history is to be considered, and not just the pre and post Polian Indy era.

The Colts attained greatness in the 1950s with two NFL championships, several division titles and a SB appearance in the 1960s, A SB win in 1971 and division championships.

We sucked in the 80s, generally, sucked less in the 90s and were good in the regular season from 1999-2010 despite our pitiful, sorry * playoff records. The Colts were in existence for over 30 years prior to Polian's arrival and had many successful seasons prior to his arrival. As I have stated numerous times in the past, the Colts history does NOT begin in 1984; it began in Baltimore in the 1950s and if we are going to be accurate, ALL of the Colts history is to be considered, and not just the pre and post Polian Indy era.

I think you just illustrated his point. You have to go back to pre-modern football and then some sporadic good times ( nothing close to the last 12 years) in the 70's. We were even decent a couple times in the 80's but Polian's Buffalo teams were kicking our buts. Polian is the second best thing that has happened to this team in the last 40 years. Can he be an arrogant *? sure, but many people who have reached the level of success he has in ultra-competitve fields are too.

Could we do better by replacing Polian? yes,( although I'm not sure who) could we do worse? Much more likely.

Now how would he know that. He's not coaching the team. I'll bet he doesn't even know who the coach is gonna be (well, that may be a stretch, he prolly does and knows it won't be who we have now)...

Don't want to start any rumors, mind you, but I'm just sayin'....

INDIANPOLIS COLTS, NOT BALTIMORE COLTS.

Somehow, I knew you were going to miss that.

Jerk, Dirty, call it what you want, but you can not sit there and say he would NOT be an upgrade to our team. I don't know what you call playing dirty, but if you get into the WR's face and aggravate him to the point he takes his anger out on you, you are doing your job as a CB. Tell me this, would you rather have a CB like the ones we have where we play pitty pat with the Wr's or courtland finnegan who is a jerk who gets under his opposition skin? He is a good and physical corner, something we lack. No matter how he gets the job done, he gets it done. You may not like the man because he talks trash, pushes, etc. but thats attitude.

There's a difference between playing tough and dirty. Dirty players get personal fouls and play past the rules. Tough players play hard within the rules. Jamming and getting physical with a WR is one thing, but getting in his face and hitting him in the face is another. Finnegan's personal fouls like last week against the Titans are not wanted. He needs to clean up his act.

Are you telling us that the reason why our defense sucks is because "we don't hit hard enough"? Thats it.......really???

Sorry, but I think it's a lot more in depth than that.

Me saying we don't hit enough is correct. It however has more to do with a mental aspect of the game. Us always tackling is fine, but we need to be more physical as a team. No one can't tell me that hitting doesn't set a tone for a game. I just hope it doesn't create health problems like Bob Sanders had so thats the only risk. Also it's this team built on speed? So why aren't we taking more risk by blitzing?

There's a difference between playing tough and dirty. Dirty players get personal fouls and play past the rules. Tough players play hard within the rules. Jamming and getting physical with a WR is one thing, but getting in his face and hitting him in the face is another. Finnegan's personal fouls like last week against the Titans are not wanted. He needs to clean up his act.

Hey, I actually like it. No one is trying to make friends in football. Yeah he crosses the line which costs yards, but for the most part, I like it.