Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Refiners Fire

IndyJayman

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

The team has hit a rough patch in the road.  But, most of us remember how bad things were at times during the 06 season on the way to the Super Bowl.  During the regular season the D had trouble stopping the run.  Then in the playoffs...the D really stepped up and then the O struggled scoring at times.  But, it all came together at the right time.

Hopefully the team is going through the refiners fire and in the end they will peak when they need to.

The team has hit a rough patch in the road.  But, most of us remember how bad things were at times during the 06 season on the way to the Super Bowl.  During the regular season the D had trouble stopping the run.  Then in the playoffs...the D really stepped up and then the O struggled scoring at times.  But, it all came together at the right time.

Hopefully the team is going through the refiners fire and in the end they will peak when they need to.

Kinda makes you thankful that our road to our Super Bowl win wasn't so pretty and we just pulled it together and got hot when we needed to.  We have done it before and it is possible and it could always happen again.

Yeah, that's the key. We've seen teams like the Pack a couple years ago roll through the season and then be flat in the playoffs. We had plenty of those types of season ourselves years ago.

Then we've seen teams like the Giants and Ravens catch fire in the playoffs after having mediocre years.

Not saying that how we're playing now doesn't matter, but as long as we make the playoffs it all comes down to how we're playing in January.

Hopefully the team is going through the refiners fire and in the end they will peak when they need

It all starts at the top with coaching. We need our coaches to fix loop holes in the defense especially on the D-line, We are getting gashed vs the run.  On offense we need to be committed to running the ball, smash mouth just as we were in the beginning of the season.  Getting back to our physical play style.  

I think there are differences in the 2006 team and this team now.

We had a better offense line in 2006, during the height of the Peyton Manning era with Marvin, Reggie, Dallas, etc.

We really just have too many injuries at this point that we just can't seem to overcome them. 

Also we had Tony Dungy and Tom Moore running the show then, and no offense to Chuck Pagano and Pep Hamilton, but right now, Dungy & Moore > Pagano & Hamilton

I think there are differences in the 2006 team and this team now.

We had a better offense line in 2006, during the height of the Peyton Manning era with Marvin, Reggie, Dallas, etc.

We really just have too many injuries at this point that we just can't seem to overcome them. 

Also we had Tony Dungy and Tom Moore running the show then, and no offense to Chuck Pagano and Pep Hamilton, but right now, Dungy & Moore > Pagano & Hamilton

good point, but I believe our defense is better now than it was in 06, or at least i believed in the beginning of the season  :dunno:

2006 a vet team with players that could produce.  Coaches were experienced and had previous success and new how to 'fix things'.  Granted, everyone on the Colts admitted to being somewhat wary after the Jags famous 375 game.  But they pulled together to get it done.  This team needs to follow that lead. It is great experience builder too.

good point, but I believe our defense is better now than it was in 06, or at least i believed in the beginning of the season  :dunno:

I can agree with that.

When everyone is healthy, we slowed down 2 of the best offenses in the league in The Seahawks and Broncos. Once Toler & Davis get healthy, I think we can go back to that form.

2013 Colts D > 2006 Colts D

Can't remember if Bob Sanders actually played most of the '06 season.

He did not. 4 games, and the playoffs if I remember.  In fact Sanders has the most seasons (6) where he failed to play in more than 6 games of any starter ever.  However, in 2005 and 2007 he was healthy, and those were also two of the best scoring defenses in the Peyton Manning era. In 2007, Sanders was DPOY IIRC. In 2006, we traded for Defensive Tackle Booger McFarland to shore up the middle D line. When  Bob Sanders returned just in time for the playoffs, and the run D miraculously changed to a stingy group that brought us the Lombardi trophy.

Sanders was incredibly effective when in the lineup. He was rarely in the lineup though because of injuries.

You cannot compare teams from different eras. Just because the '06 team had its rough patch doesn't mean just because we are going through it right now that we're going to pull out of it and possibly win the Super Bowl.  The coaches need to pull their heads out of their behinds if they want to make a run for the playoffs.  They also need to realize that some of the players on both the offense and defense just plain suck. Now is the time.

Absolutely. Way to many important injuries on offensive with a rookie OC and an O-Line still missing important pieces on top of that. When Reggie went down, the Camel's back finally broke.

So I'm not really disappointed with the otherwise lackluster offensive.

I'm, however, disappointed in the defense lately. Injuries hasn't been that bad, and we at least have a HC that know a thing or two about running a solid D. A solid Defense could have kept the two loses to less than blow outs which would really have helped the morale and confidence. I want to see them to step up big time against the Titans. :shout: